toldailytopic: BBQ battle: Charcoal vs. Propane? Which do you prefer and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for June 15th, 2010 11:20 AM

toldailytopic: BBQ battle: Charcoal vs. Propane? Which do you prefer and why?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I use both.

I prefer the taste of food cooked with charcoal and therefore I have a charcoal grill/smoker that I use. However, for convenience sake I have a propane grill that I use on a more regular basis.

Scoreboard (10 pts max for each category, higher scores are better)

TASTE:

Charcoal 10
Propane 6

COST:
Charcoal 7
Propane 7

EASE OF USE:
Charcoal 6
Propane 9

TOTAL:

Charcoal 23
Propane 22

GuySmiley

Charcoal definitely! I don't own a gas grill anymore, although I do miss the convenience of propane sometimes. I remind myself if its worth grilling, its worth waiting 20 minutes for charcoal. But when its just hot dogs thats questionable :)
Steak, ribs, brats, no question.

I do have the weber charcoal grill with gas lighting system though, so Im cheating a little.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I can cook with my propane grill and give out a blind taste test and all you charcoal losers will know that I am the barbaque master.

assuranceagent

True barbeque is cooked slowly over woodsmoke.

You're talking about grilling, which I prefer to do with propane. Propane gives you more temperature control and convenience, not to mention better zone grilling. And if you do it right and buy a nice grill, there's even a coal house for the wood chips or charcoal. That means no difference in flavor and a big improvement in control.

To me, there's no contest.

Sincerly,

Outdoor cooking snob.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Grilling and barbaque are different, that needed to be mentioned. Well done AA. I agree.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I use both.

I prefer the taste of food cooked with charcoal and therefore I have a charcoal grill/smoker that I use. However, for convenience sake I have a propane grill that I use on a more regular basis.

Scoreboard (10 pts max for each category, higher scores are better)

TASTE:

Charcoal 10
Propane 6

COST:
Charcoal 7
Propane 7

EASE OF USE:
Charcoal 6
Propane 9

TOTAL:

Charcoal 23
Propane 22

I think I mostly agree with this assessment. Charcoal for the taste, gas for the ease.

This question is very relevant to me at the moment because I'm going to be buying a grill and I have to decide if I want gas or charcoal. :think:

:TomO:

assuranceagent

I think I mostly agree with this assessment. Charcoal for the taste, gas for the ease.

This question is very relevant to me at the moment because I'm going to be buying a grill and I have to decide if I want gas or charcoal. :think:

:TomO:

Why choose when you can do both?

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Charcoal because of taste and it gives you an excuse to drink beer while waiting. Plus burning anything is fun and it's good for the environment!

assuranceagent

You mean the gas grill you mentioned that has a spot for charcoal?

If so, how much are those? I'm not looking to spend a lot. :greedy:

Well, if you want to go cheap, you're better off buying charcoal. A good gas grill will run you into the $500+ range depending on cooking area and quality. Mine was over twice that much, but I do a lot of cooking for family gatherings (not to mention I grill three to four days a week year round.) Weber is really the top of the line and they make a Genesis model that you can get for around that $500 mark, but it's pretty small. Ducane generally comes a bit less expensive and is now owned by Weber (you just don't pay for the name).

Anything much cheaper than that and you will wind up replacing it in a short time after it warps and cracks.

For charcoal, nothing beats a Big Green Egg, but they're pretty pricey too. Weber makes a charcoal grill that's pretty nice or you can even fall back on the trusty Brinkman -- they perform well and they're inexpensive enough that replacing them isn't a big deal.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I didn't answer the question.

Well, since there is no difference in taste, the gas grill rules supreme. The convience factor is insurmountable for charcoal. Now, a charcoal grill that is warming up smells really good.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Charcoal and/or wood. I prefer the flavor of hickory smoked bbq. But, I will use charcoal when I can't find hickory. I don't care much for propane. Last time I had it, the food smelled like gas.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Every now and then we skip the propane and the charcoal and place the steaks directly on the fire. The flavor is AWESOME!!!! :chew:

Status
Not open for further replies.