toldailytopic: The Holy Trinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 29th, 2009 11:04 AM

toldailytopic: The Holy Trinity.

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I've always been taught that it's wrong to say that there are three Gods and their relationship could be described as them being 'of one mind', hence the three in one mystery.

Is that view wrong for any good and simply explained reason? 'Cos I can't remember the things I was taught. :)

Alate_One

If we're playing word association, the Holy Trinity could mean the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial.
No, that's the unholy trinity at current . . . . (that whole equality of powers thing got rather messed up the last few years) :chuckle:

Alate_One

I've always been taught that it's wrong to say that there are three Gods and their relationship could be described as them being 'of one mind', hence the three in one mystery.

Is that view wrong for any good and simply explained reason? 'Cos I can't remember the things I was taught. :)

Essentially whenever you start trying to define exactly what God is rather than what He is not, you're probably going to start getting yourself in trouble.

But anyway here's what the Nicene creed has to say. Since it was written to combat a Trinitarian controversy, its fairly applicable.

We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:
by the power of the Holy Spirit
he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,
and was made man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

The 'unholy trinity' in Revelation is the Beast/Antichrist, False Prophet, Satan.

A mystery is something hidden. A triune understanding is revelation, not raw reason. We have sufficient revelation to know that God is one God (monotheism) and that He is a compound unity, not solitary being. We can know truth about God, but not exhaustively.

We know that there are not 3 gods (tritheism/LDS/Mormon/Hindu pagan polytheism). We know that there are not 3 mere modes or offices (oneness, modalism, Sabellianism). We know that the Holy Spirit is personal and that Jesus is God Almighty in the flesh (vs Arianism/JW/Unitarian).

We can demonstrate that there is one true God by nature/essence/uncreated spirit substance. We know that the Father is called this God, the Son is called God, the Holy Spirit is called God. We also know that the Father is not the person of the Son, the Son is not the Holy Spirit, etc.

So, within the one uncreated nature of God are 3 personal distinctions/conscious centers who are co-equal, co-eternal, co-essential. They are ontologically and relationally one yet distinct (absolutes). This is biblical, historical, orthodox Christianity, truth that is attacked by pseudo-Christian cults.

www.bible.ca/trinity

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So if Christ is unique of God, unique and not made (he has always been), then where does that leave Christ? Just where John said. The Word was with God, the Word was God, and the Word became flesh.

Alate_One

Well, it's unholy to me, yes... but very holy to those who worship it and exhault it as the savior of all Mankind.
It's never been that. :chuckle: Its a pretty good idea when they are actually equal, but they haven't been that for a while.

nicholsmom

Clearly, the three-part nature of God is a key theme in the Bible, starting with Gen 1:1-2. John 1:1-5 & 14 and Luke 3:22 are highly suggestive of the Holy Trinity. I wish I had time to enumerate the verses in their entirety - I don't want to short-change the topic, but I really have too much rl to manage just now.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
The Trinity........is FALSE!

:devil:

What is your doctrine of God/Christology?

Who is Jesus?

Who or what is the Holy Spirit?

How many true gods are there?

Biblically, it can be shown that Jesus is God, the Holy Spirit is God/personal, the Father is not the person of the Son, and that there is only one true God.

Voila, trinity is truth.

keypurr

Who is Jesus?

Biblically, it can be shown that Jesus is God, the Holy Spirit is God/personal, the Father is not the person of the Son, and that there is only one true God.

Voila, trinity is truth.

No it can't be shown in scripture. Your living in a fairytale world friend.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

Who is Jesus?

Voila, trinity is truth.

3 distinct persons that are God != only one true God.
So, according to your theology, 3.

:plain:

Status
Not open for further replies.