Sacred namers, are they correct?

Lon

Ἰησοῦς Matthew 15:11 Matthew 12:34,35

My name is Lon. My children call me "Dad." Is that disrespect? :nono:

My wife calls me about every nice name BUT "Lon" most of the time. Is that blasphemous? :nono:

My mom calls me "Lon," is she more sincere or respectful to me? :nono:

My kids made a shirt for me with their handprints "World's Greatest Dad."
Some guys at the hotel we were staying at said "Hey look, John! It's "The World's GREATEST dad!"
They were mocking and teasing.

Yashua, (יהשע Joshua) means deliverer. It is either a proper name, or a description, just like the last name 'Smith.'
Because there are vowels between each consonant, and not knowing what they are, we may or may not have the correct pronunciation. Is it worse to mispronounce my name "Lon" or call me 'friend' instead? Doesn't it depend on the love of the man or woman saying it?

The word "God" either means "Good" or "THE ONE sought after." As such, the term "God" is appropriate, perhaps not so much as a name, but appropriate description of who God is to those who love Him.

Moses ask "Who should I say has sent me?" IOW "What is your name?" I AM is "The God Who is there." Exodus 3:14 Isaiah 42:8

God has given us many names for Him in scripture, which is the most appropriate for you?

Philippians 2:10,11 says at the name ᾿Ιησοῦ, every knee will bow.

Romans 10:9-11 It IS a heart issue. Always has been. 1 Peter 3:14,15

Isaiah 43:1 John 10:3,14,15 Does He know your name?

oatmeal

God calls himself by many name and titles that we may learn his character, his attributes, what He is all about, what He is willing to do or has done for us.

In general, overall, His title of Father is the best for my understanding of His relationship to me.

Reactions: Lon

CherubRam

God calls himself by many name and titles that we may learn his character, his attributes, what He is all about, what He is willing to do or has done for us.

In general, overall, His title of Father is the best for my understanding of His relationship to me.

God is called by many NAME TITLES, but He has only one personal name. His name is Yahwah.

Lon

God is called by many NAME TITLES, but He has only one personal name. His name is Yahwah.
:idunno: Abba is a personal name. Pater (Father) is a personal name Matthew 6:9

You are trying to assert that He only has one name :nono: I am "Lon" AND "Dad." Both personal by whoever knows me. My children mean me "Dad" and no other.

CherubRam

:idunno: Abba is a personal name. Pater (Father) is a personal name Matthew 6:9

You are trying to assert that He only has one name :nono: I am "Lon" AND "Dad." Both personal by whoever knows me. My children mean me "Dad" and no other.

[FONT=&quot]Yahwah reveals His name to Moses
Exodus 3:13-15.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
13 And Moses said to Elohiym, “Suppose I go to the siblings of the Israelites and say to them, 'The Elohiym of your forefathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is His name?' What shall I say to them?”
14 And Elohiym said to Moses, “The Living that Lives. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'The Living has sent me to you.”
15 And Elohiym also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, 'Yahwah, the Elohiym of your forefathers; the Elohiym of Abraham, the Elohiym of Isaac and the Elohiym of Jacob has sent me to you.' That’s my name forever, the name by which I’m to be remembered, from generation to generation.”[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Lon

Yahwah reveals His name to Moses
Exodus 3:13-15.

13 And Moses said to Elohiym, “Suppose I go to the siblings of the Israelites and say to them, 'The Elohiym of your forefathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is His name?' What shall I say to them?”
14 And Elohiym said to Moses, “The Living that Lives. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'The Living has sent me to you.”
15 And Elohiym also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, 'Yahwah, the Elohiym of your forefathers; the Elohiym of Abraham, the Elohiym of Isaac and the Elohiym of Jacob has sent me to you.' That’s my name forever, the name by which I’m to be remembered, from generation to generation.”

My name is Lon. It will be on my tombstone, so it is the name by which I will be remembered. My kids don't call me Lon. Some would even think it disrespectful if they did. Not me. I know their hearts and I know they love me when they call me "Dad." This IS the main point of this thread. People get so worked up on what is the right name to refer to God that they forget just to love Him. The Lord Jesus Christ told us to call him "Pater." "Father." Paul told us to call him Abba, Father. Romans 8:15

Too many go about trying to correct another about what he/she calls, when they call upon Him. The more important thing is "Why." If they love Him, He knows them and He calls them by name. We get so worked up on what we might do to offend Him, that we forget it is more important that we are trusting Him, rather than ourselves, for our salvation. So many try to Lord it over another. In theology, I disagree a great deal with you. BUT you stand before God, not me. We are used somewhat in one another's lives, but none of us judge. I truly think not understanding the Lord Jesus Christ as God is problematic with John 5:23 etc. In the end, that has to be between you and God alone because you only have one mediator and that One is not me. Romans 8:34

The main point of this thread is to simply point out it isn't so much the Name, as the love given behind a name. I would not disagree with one or another's emphasis on one particular name, but all scripture names are appropriate. Any name like "Father" "Lord" "Master" or such is appropriate for what one is expressing to God in their prayer or about Him in expression to others. There is reverence in them as well as a desire to lift Him to others, and give Him adoration.

CherubRam

My name is Lon. It will be on my tombstone, so it is the name by which I will be remembered. My kids don't call me Lon. Some would even think it disrespectful if they did. Not me. I know their hearts and I know they love me when they call me "Dad." This IS the main point of this thread. People get so worked up on what is the right name to refer to God that they forget just to love Him. The Lord Jesus Christ told us to call him "Pater." "Father." Paul told us to call him Abba, Father. Romans 8:15

Too many go about trying to correct another about what he/she calls, when they call upon Him. The more important thing is "Why." If they love Him, He knows them and He calls them by name. We get so worked up on what we might do to offend Him, that we forget it is more important that we are trusting Him, rather than ourselves, for our salvation. So many try to Lord it over another. In theology, I disagree a great deal with you. BUT you stand before God, not me. We are used somewhat in one another's lives, but none of us judge. I truly think not understanding the Lord Jesus Christ as God is problematic with John 5:23 etc. In the end, that has to be between you and God alone because you only have one mediator and that One is not me. Romans 8:34

The main point of this thread is to simply point out it isn't so much the Name, as the love given behind a name. I would not disagree with one or another's emphasis on one particular name, but all scripture names are appropriate. Any name like "Father" "Lord" "Master" or such is appropriate for what one is expressing to God in their prayer or about Him in expression to others. There is reverence in them as well as a desire to lift Him to others, and give Him adoration.

How come you do not comprehend the difference between a title and a personal name?

CherubRam

Malachi 2:2

If you do not listen, and if you do not resolve to honor my name,” says the Lord Almighty, “I will send a curse on you, and I will curse your blessings. Yes, I have already cursed them, because you have not resolved to honor me.

CherubRam

[FONT=&quot]Dishonor His Name[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
For thousands of years the refusing to use a person's name has been a direct form of dishonor. Shortening the name, replacing the name, distorting the name, all are signs of dishonor.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Honorable Mention[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
An “honorable mention” is a title of distinction given to a person worthy of mention. Upon honoring the person their name is mentioned, so their name has a place of honor known among the people.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Lon

Dishonor His Name
For thousands of years the refusing to use a person's name has been a direct form of dishonor. Shortening the name, replacing the name, distorting the name, all are signs of dishonor
Nope. Wrong, CherubRam. I am not dishonoring you. I don't even know your name. You GAVE this username. Were you dishonoring yourself??? :nono: Nope. You just ruined your own argument imho.

Honorable Mention
An “honorable mention” is a title of distinction given to a person worthy of mention. Upon honoring the person their name is mentioned, so their name has a place of honor known among the people.

It could be nice. Mispronouncing the name, however, and it is an embarrassment. You don't know how to pronounce any Hebrew word. We just have modern acceptance but we all certainly can be pronouncing everything wrong. Hebrew was a dead language with no audio preserved to know how.
Malachi 2:2
If you do not listen, and if you do not resolve to honor my name,” says the Lord Almighty, “I will send a curse on you, and I will curse your blessings. Yes, I have already cursed them, because you have not resolved to honor me.
Read Malachi 1:6-8 Malachi 2:2 doesn't mean what you thought.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The KJV and other versions of scripture have been translated from Greek texts.

The "sacred" names do not sound Greek, so they seem out of place.

Why would the holy Spirit want everything in Greek except the names. Illogical.

Epoisses

The KJV and other versions of scripture have been translated from Greek texts.

The "sacred" names do not sound Greek so seem out of place.

Why would the holy Spirit want everything in Greek except the names. Illogical.

Jamie, your puppy dog fetish is illogical. Don't you like cats?

CherubRam

Christ was born Hebrew not Greek. Christ had a Hebrew name, not a Greek name. The name Jesus is a resent man made name. What is wrong with you people?

CherubRam

Nope. Wrong, CherubRam. I am not dishonoring you. I don't even know your name. You GAVE this username. Were you dishonoring yourself??? :nono: Nope. You just ruined your own argument imho.

It could be nice. Mispronouncing the name, however, and it is an embarrassment. You don't know how to pronounce any Hebrew word. We just have modern acceptance but we all certainly can be pronouncing everything wrong. Hebrew was a dead language with no audio preserved to know how.
Read Malachi 1:6-8 Malachi 2:2 doesn't mean what you thought.

Good night Lon.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Christ was born Hebrew not Greek. Christ had a Hebrew name, not a Greek name. The name Jesus is a resent man made name. What is wrong with you people?

Today Christ is neither Jew nor Greek.

"For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek" (Paul)

Jesus is a transliterated English name. More people speak English than speak Hebrew.

Sacred names is just a diversion to split Christ's people into groups. Not necessary.

CherubRam

Today Christ is neither Jew nor Greek.

"For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek" (Paul)

Jesus is a transliterated English name. More people speak English than speak Hebrew.

Sacred names is just a diversion to split Christ's people into groups. Not necessary.

Jesus is a Greek version of Christ name, and Yahshua is the English version of Christ name. Jesus is an "interpretation", and Yahshua is a "translation."