Steve bannon on 60 minutes

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
What should Trump have done, genius?

He should have been working to get a bipartisan plan to reform immigration in a way that the law, if enforced, would not harm America.

Presently, if we deported all illegal aliens, we'd have another Great Recession. A law that harms America if enforced is a double evil. If enforced, it hurts us. If not, it breeds disrespect for the law.

ClimateSanity

He should have been working to get a bipartisan plan to reform immigration in a way that the law, if enforced, would not harm America.

Presently, if we deported all illegal aliens, we'd have another Great Recession. A law that harms America if enforced is a double evil. If enforced, it hurts us. If not, it breeds disrespect for the law.
It harms America when we let the whole world come in without vetting or limits. It harms America when we don't deliberately bring in people who will help the economy for all Americans. It particularly harms unskilled, non college educated citizens when we have a porous border because they take jobs that would have been given to the low skilled, non college educated. Any law that fails to follow these guidelines is a betrayal of our citizens and essentially makes citizenship worthless. We have to make up our minds whether the USA is a land for its citizens or for the whole world.

Sent from my XT1254 using TOL mobile app

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Explains Trump, himself, DC establishment, the swamp, Billy bush tape, and west wing power struggles among many topics. Very articulate and passionate and intelligent. Doesn't let Charlie Rose get the best of him.

https://youtu.be/7qDY2pgJMYk

Thanks for posting this because I didn't catch the 60 Minutes broadcast. This interview leaves me with more questions than answers, for example: Remember a couple of months ago there was all that talk from Trump about firing unnamed White House officials who were leaking information to the press? Trump refused to be specific and name names when it came to who he thought it was who was doing the leaking. But sure enough, both Bannon and Sebastian Gorka were fired within 1 week of each other. And in this interview at time 22:45, Charlie Rose accused Bannon of being one of the leakers, and Bannon did not deny it. Quite interesting, don't you think? There is clearly a lot more going on here than meets the eye, and neither Bannon nor Trump are telling the whole story.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
Surprisingly, he went after Trump over DACA, saying it was the wrong thing to do.

When even Bannon denounces an attack on immigrants, you know it's bad.

I think you may have misunderstood Bannon's position on DACA. Bannon wanted it ended outright, but Trump's decision allows Congress 6 months to debate over DACA and, if they choose, to preserve it. See here for more: http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/05/politics/daca-trump-congress/index.html

This is why Bannon opposed Trump's decision. He thinks that allowing for a debate over DACA in Congress will divide the Republican Party just in time for the mid-term election season to start ramping up, leading to an intra-party "civil war."

Last edited:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
'Called Washington D.C. a "business model." Wow. I don't have time now to watch the rest, but that was a new way of looking at things for me.

ClimateSanity

I think you may have misunderstood Bannon's position on DACA. Bannon wanted it ended outright, but Trump's decision allows Congress 6 months to debate over DACA and, if they choose, to preserve it. See here for more: http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/05/politics/daca-trump-congress/index.html

This is why Bannon opposed Trump's decision. He thinks that allowing for a debate over DACA in Congress will divide the Republican Party just in time for the mid-term election season to start ramping up, leading to an intra-party "civil war."
You are correct

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned

On reflection, I think you're right. What was I thinking, attributing an honorable motive to Steve Bannon?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
I like what he said about the Catholic Church.

I like that he said it. He said, it's not about doctrine. Cardinal Dolan, the archbishop of the archdiocese of New York, replied, and said that Bannon is right, that it's not a doctrinal matter. He then went on to say that it is a "biblical mandate," I believe were his words.

But it's nice to hear a Catholic speaking out against mistakes they believe that Catholic bishops make, while maintaining good faith in the Church's teaching office.

Did you know that about one quarter of Catholics in the US are first-generation immigrants? That was why Bannon said that the Church's position on immigration is about coffers (he said "pews"), and why he said "on the face of it."

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Himmler was raised as a Catholic. Catholics can go racist just as easily as anyone else. Bannon just threw away what God had to say about it.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned