Election v Freewill

jsanford108

I have noticed many threads and debates recently on Freewill Doctrines vs Election/Predestination Doctrines. It is quite a heated topic, with both sides throwing verses around and making claims.

I have noticed a very consistent agreement between the two sides though. That is, if there is a logical questioning against a point made, neither will address it. They ignore it or simply say "that's wrong" or "there is no evidence of that in the Bible." Which strikes me as intriguing. Both sides have plenty of verses from which they derive their doctrine (Free will has many more in quantity, that much is simple fact). Yet, when it comes to logical defense of their premise, both kind of just stop, and begin repeating their former arguments.

My belief is that there is both free will and election (easy to derive, since both are in Scripture). And since both are in Scripture, we would all agree that Scripture does not contradict itself, then both must be true.

Rather than have a debate, I would actually like a list of pros and cons for each. I know that usually one side can list all the cons of the other. Why not list the pros and cons of your own side? This leads one to deeper understanding of what one believes. Be logical. Be rational.

If you have questions, I am happy to answer. If you are just going to attack, I assure you of two things. First, I most likely won't answer, because of the second thing. Second, any attack is unwarranted. This is a simple discussion. Not meant to be a debate. Just two theological opponents discussing their view, without aggression. (I know not to expect a debate not to start; that would be unrealistic given the plethora of arguments and attacking responses to almost all threads)

Last edited:

Epoisses

Free will is the old covenant understanding where Joshua boldly proclaims as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Election is the new covenant understanding where God chooses not man. A great example of this is when Judas fell away. The disciples chose Mathias as his replacement but Jesus chose Paul. Paul is the true replacement of Judas because God's choice trumps man's choice.

Lon

I have noticed many threads and debates recently on Freewill Doctrines vs Election/Predestination Doctrines. It is quite a heated topic, with both sides throwing verses around and making claims.

I have noticed a very consistent agreement between the two sides though. That is, if there is a logical questioning against a point made, neither will address it. They ignore it or simply say "that's wrong" or "there is no evidence of that in the Bible." Which strikes me as intriguing. Both sides have plenty of verses from which they derive their doctrine (Free will has many more in quantity, that much is simple fact). Yet, when it comes to logical defense of their premise, both kind of just stop, and begin repeating their former arguments.
Okay, go ahead and start, if the other side asks logical questions or 'there is no evidence in the Bible' (I don't claim that and I'll explain below), what scriptures do you have in mind?

My belief is that there is both free will and election (easy to derive, since both are in Scripture). And since both are in Scripture, we would all agree that Scripture does not contradict itself, then both must be true.
Sort of. I'm a bit unique on this so take it such under consideration, but 1) Calvin believed in freewill 2) I believe in freewill but importantly for discussion, differentiate two kinds: "free from God" and "Free in God." Adam and Eve were free in God. Sinners are free 'from God" and then, believers remade in Christ, are free 'from sin's demands' and 'free to do as He wills.' Scripture talks of taking up His cross and following Him (the Apostle Paul repeats it), which is 'HisWill' rather than 'free' like most people mean it. If that's what you mean, I think many Calvinists would be on page, not against you.

Rather than have a debate, I would actually like a list of pros and cons for each. I know that usually one side can list all the cons of the other. Why not list the pros and cons of your own side? This leads one to deeper understanding of what one believes. Be logical. Be rational.
The cons, for both sides, are mostly over what exactly they mean by 'free.' My side? Accusation of being a 'robot' or 'puppet.' However, I'd like the one saying that to think for a moment: What is wrong with that? Asserting one's independence and will 'apart' from God???? As if its a gift? When did you or I ever produce any one good thing apart from God's will? Why WOULDN'T I want to be His puppet or robot? I'm cognizant, and pleased, so for me that's enough. Why would I care after that? Jesus said "Not My will but Yours," Isn't that part of the goal of our faith? Do we really want to go to heaven 'just as we are?" :confused: Isn't 1 John 3:2 our hope?
I've a will, and 'can' do things despite what God wants me to do, but when it gets in the way, I'd rather defer to "HisWill" before 'freewill.' For me, 'freewill' then is against God and against what I'd be for Him. I'm not a robot, but one day, I hope that choosing good over evil will be robotic. Romans 7:21-25 echos in my mind and discussion. Freewill just isn't the 'gift' from God that most think, so while we may agree we have freewill, I argue rather whether it is good or not. Luke 18:19 To me, that specifically is the discussion that needs to take place, not whether it exists, but whether it is God's intent, and more importantly - "If" it can be a good thing in sinful man. I say 'no' but I'm not talking about chocolate or vanilla at that point. I'm talking about the difference between what I read in scripture of how I should be, and the difference (again Romans 7).

If you have questions, I am happy to answer. If you are just going to attack, I assure you of two things. First, I most likely won't answer, because of the second thing. Second, any attack is unwarranted. This is a simple discussion. Not meant to be a debate. Just two theological opponents discussing their view, without aggression. (I know not to expect a debate not to start; that would be unrealistic given the plethora of arguments and attacking responses to almost all threads)
Three years later... I hadn't seen this post/thread so that's my excuse. Most would rather posture than 'talk.'

God's Truth

Free will is the old covenant understanding where Joshua boldly proclaims as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Election is the new covenant understanding where God chooses not man. A great example of this is when Judas fell away. The disciples chose Mathias as his replacement but Jesus chose Paul. Paul is the true replacement of Judas because God's choice trumps man's choice.

God didn't chose who? God chose between two men way before Paul was chosen as an Apostle.

Acts 1:Matthias Replaces Judas
12Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey. 13And when they were come in, they went up into an upper room, where abode both Peter, and James, and John, and Andrew, Philip, and Thomas, Bartholomew, and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, and Simon Zelotes, and Judas the brother of James.14These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brethren.
15And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples, and said, (the number of names together were about an hundred and twenty,) 16Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus. 17For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry. 18Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out. 19And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.
20For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.

21Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, 22Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection. 23And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias. 24And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen, 25That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place. 26And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

God's Truth

Ephesians 1:3 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,

Did you read that scripture?

When you believed you were marked in him and NOT BEFORE.

oatmeal

Good subject

As you point out, both election and freewill are Biblical.

They are not contradictory whatsoever, but fit together beautifully, if we allow God's foreknowledge into the mix.

For example, a hypothetical example, maybe a parable in a sense, let us say Bob is looking for wife, he has his eyes on two women, Sally and Rita and both are equally appealing to him, However, Bod asks for insight from God who will be the best mate for him. God reveals that Sally will be faithful and true to both God and to Bob, whereas, Rita has a roaming eye and will cheat on both God and Bob.

Who should Bob choose or elect for a wife?

Did Bob predestinate either one of their choices? No, absolutely not. They chose or rather will choose to do what they want to do, the reason Bob could make a choice is that God's foreknowledge allowed for Bob to make a wise choice.

God is wise, He knows or rather foreknows who to choose, so He does.

Neither free will nor election is violated, and they are not contradictory

He who ears to hear, let him hear

Bradley D

"But I did not want to do anything without your consent, so that your goodness will not be out of compulsion, but by your own free will" (Philemon1:14).

your own free will.
ἑκούσιον (hekousion)
Adjective - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's Greek 1595: Willing, with right good will, voluntary, spontaneous. Neuter of a derivative from hekon; voluntariness.