User Tag List

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 255

Thread: Common views of God and time.

  1. #76
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    9,273
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    11815
    Quote Originally Posted by tetelestai View Post
    Biblical eschatology is pretty clear. The rapture, tribulation, millennium, Great White Throne Judgment, etc.

    It is the open theist who makes God the puppet master. On one hand the open theist believes God has disclosed eschatology to us, and that we have free will. But then the open theist believes God has to pull billions of strings every day to make sure everything works out the way He said it would. What happens to free will during this string pulling process?

    Also, the open theist believes God gets frustrated, mad, hurt, jealous, and angry, etc during the string pulling, yet somehow the open theist still is confident that God will not change His mind about the open theist’s guaranteed eternal life.

    The reason we are able to have Biblical eschatology is because God is outside of time. God already knows what happened, right down to how many hairs on the head of the last person to die in the battle of Armageddon.

    How can you guys be so sure about your eternal security if you believe God changes His mind, repents, gets angry, and is filled with hate? What if He changes His mind about your salvation and eternal security?

    This is not a fair representation of OVT or their understanding of prophecy/eschatology (Revelation is more general than you think...it does not matter how many hairs on the Antichrist's chin...hairs on our head is present vs future knowledge).

    TOL OVT/Plot do support OSAS. In reality, most prominent OVTs like Sanders argue against it based on free will theism and OVT principles. Even if OSAS is true, we can take God at His Word because of His faithfulness. God is not fickle and only changes His mind in response to changing contingencies and consistent with His character (righteousness, etc.).

    God is not emotionally unstable nor does He lack ability. This does not mean He is all-controlling, absolutely impassible/immutable.

    It is too early to reject OVT because your view of it is superficial and inaccurate.
    Know God and make Him known! (YWAM)

    They said: "Where is the God of Elijah?"
    I say: "Where are the Elijahs of God?" (Ravenhill "Why Revival Tarries")

    Rev. 1:17, 18; Jer. 9:23, 24

    "No Compromise!" (Keith Green)

    The Pledge: He died for me; I'll live for Him.

  2. #77
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    9,273
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    11815
    Quote Originally Posted by ddevonb View Post
    If you believe that ... why does God not go back in time and fix things?

    Because it's not possible.
    I agree that the past is fixed and that God cannot change it. The future is also not a place or thing to know or visit, but God and man create the future. Only the present is real.
    Know God and make Him known! (YWAM)

    They said: "Where is the God of Elijah?"
    I say: "Where are the Elijahs of God?" (Ravenhill "Why Revival Tarries")

    Rev. 1:17, 18; Jer. 9:23, 24

    "No Compromise!" (Keith Green)

    The Pledge: He died for me; I'll live for Him.

  3. #78
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    9,273
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    11815
    Quote Originally Posted by tetelestai View Post
    Anthropopathism
    No. What truth about God does it convey if it is only figurative? Metaphors or anthro. must convey something about God. How else could God say that He now knows something other than what He said (how would God communicate the opposite? He could not...even if you do not believe the face value statement, there must be a way for God to communicate both possibilities).
    Know God and make Him known! (YWAM)

    They said: "Where is the God of Elijah?"
    I say: "Where are the Elijahs of God?" (Ravenhill "Why Revival Tarries")

    Rev. 1:17, 18; Jer. 9:23, 24

    "No Compromise!" (Keith Green)

    The Pledge: He died for me; I'll live for Him.

  4. #79
    Rookie hippiechyck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    planning...absolutley planning to make a plan!
    Posts
    45
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by tetelestai View Post
    (Matt 11:23) And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted unto heaven, shalt be brought down to hell: for if the mighty works, which have been done in thee, had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.

    In this verse we see Jesus saying what would have happened had different choices been made by men.

    Now, I believe God’s intelligence is such that He could take any event in all of creation at any moment in the history of the universe, change it in one of an infinite number of ways, and then tell you exactly what would happen differently because of the change. Without any strain He could carry out all the intricate ramifications of that one change throughout history to the end of time and beyond time into eternity. He has all the possibilities and the one actuality clearly focused in His Mind at all times. His genius is endlessly vast; “His Understanding is infinite.”(Psalms 147:4-5)

    Not only does God know in complete detail what will happen, but He also knows what would have happened had He decided to adopt some course of action other than the one He chose (see above verse). If the “one indivisible system of things” were different in even one detail, if ever the course of one single atomic particle were different, the entire system would be changed. One variation would lead to another and another and another in a vast, intertwining system of cause and effect.

    God knows the future as clearly as the past. His knowledge is not subject to development; He never needs to learn anything because He already knows everything. (Isa 44:6-8)

    The only way all this is possible is for God to be "outside" of time.
    well stated!
    If a tree falls in a forest, and no one is around to hear it, does that mean that i'm the one who knocked it over?

  5. #80
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    9,273
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    11815
    Quote Originally Posted by tetelestai View Post
    Then how do you know you have eternal security?

    How do you know you will go to Heaven when you die?

    How do you know that Jesus will even come back?
    God's Word and His character ensure He is faithful/trustworthy, not fickle. When God changes His mind in Scripture from an OVT perspective, it is in order to remain righteous and a response to changing contingencies. It is not an unstable, capricious, quirky thing (arbitrary). God would be unable to show mercy when people repent if He could not change His mind. Hezekiah would not have lived another 15 years in your view. Prayer is meaningless in a fatalistic system, etc.
    Know God and make Him known! (YWAM)

    They said: "Where is the God of Elijah?"
    I say: "Where are the Elijahs of God?" (Ravenhill "Why Revival Tarries")

    Rev. 1:17, 18; Jer. 9:23, 24

    "No Compromise!" (Keith Green)

    The Pledge: He died for me; I'll live for Him.

  6. #81
    TOL Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    9,273
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    11815
    Quote Originally Posted by tetelestai View Post
    How does He do this without violating free will?
    He is creative and can skin a cat in more than one way. He can declare that the Messiah will come, die, rise, and come again because this is under His control and independent of men's free will.

    As well, not all prophecy is predictive, but declarative or illustrative.
    Know God and make Him known! (YWAM)

    They said: "Where is the God of Elijah?"
    I say: "Where are the Elijahs of God?" (Ravenhill "Why Revival Tarries")

    Rev. 1:17, 18; Jer. 9:23, 24

    "No Compromise!" (Keith Green)

    The Pledge: He died for me; I'll live for Him.

  7. #82
    Over 750 post club The Graphite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The Unga-Bungalow
    Posts
    988
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tetelestai View Post
    Why don’t you make your point as to how prophecy proves open theism is not false.
    We did. It seems you missed it - big surprise there. I'll make it even simpler than ever for you.

    If God promises a blessing, and His people turn from Him, and He gives them what He promised, this would be evidence against the God of the Bible, and a violation of His character.

    If God promises destruction to a people and they repent (as they did in Ninevah) and He destroys them as promised... this would be evidence against the God of the Bible, and would be a violation of His character.

    Fulfilled prophecy is evidence that the God of the Bible is real.

    Unfulfilled prophecy is evidence that our God is righteous!

    And it's a very good thing, indeed something to thank God for, that those prophecies did not come about as stated. It is to His greater glory that He didn't do what He said He would do!

    So join us in rejoicing in that!

  8. #83
    LIFETIME MEMBER tetelestai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    12,564
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 462 Times in 419 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    332748
    Quote Originally Posted by The Graphite View Post
    He should read the verse again. Peter doesn't admonish us to "pay attention to prophecies." He admonishes his congregations to "heed" them. That is, to obey them! Which means the purpose of the prophecy is to change human behavior.
    From Merriam Webster:

    Main Entry: 1heed
    Pronunciation: \ˈhēd\
    Function: verb
    Etymology: Middle English, from Old English hēdan; akin to Old High German huota guard, Old English hōd hood
    Date: before 12th century
    intransitive verb
    : to pay attention
    transitive verb
    : to give consideration or attention to : mind <heed what he says> <heed the call>
    (1 Cor 1:13 KJV) Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

  9. #84
    Over 750 post club The Graphite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The Unga-Bungalow
    Posts
    988
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by tetelestai View Post
    The only way all this is possible is for God to be "outside" of time.
    Something that exists "outside of time" necessarily experiences absolutely no change, whatsoever. If there were any change, it would demonstrate a before and after, and therefore would have occured in time.

    If God experiences absolutely no change, then He is an inanimate object.

    I worship the Living God, who is creative, who makes promises, who changes His mind and tells us so. He is living, personal, relational, loving and good. Relationship is fundamental to His character.

    But you would have us believe that from His perspective, we are both saved and unsaved, that Christ is unborn, born, alive, dying on the cross, dead, and resurrected all simultaneously from His point of view.

    He died once. He is alive.

    Christ became flesh. He wasn't always flesh.

    He became sin. He wasn't always sin. But, He became sin, and He is sin no longer. Not only does God change, but He changes in some radical ways. At the same time, His character does not change, and He says so.

    You would have us believe that God cannot create a new song, or invent a new species. Indeed, how could He ever have created in the first place? If you claim that from God's perspective there has always been a Creation, and He has always been a creator, you are straying into the realm of Process Theology, inferring that God cannot be God without a Creation. Your view infers that there is necessarily a Creation if there is a Creator, which means that the Creator is dependent upon the Creation.

    You can't say that God could have not created.... because He has never known a time when there was no Creation or that He was not a Creator -- from His perspective, both Creator and Creation co-exist inherently and necessarily.

    The Open View holds that God didn't have to create. He was free to create, and is still free to create, even today. He could think of and create a new thing at any time. He is not dependent upon Creation, but rather He is sovereign over it.

  10. #85
    LIFETIME MEMBER tetelestai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    12,564
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 462 Times in 419 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    332748
    Quote Originally Posted by The Graphite View Post
    If God promises a blessing, and His people turn from Him, and He gives them what He promised, this would be evidence against the God of the Bible, and a violation of His character.
    Lets look at your statement:

    If God promises a blessing
    God promised a Messiah

    and His people turn from Him
    The Jews turned from God

    and He gives them what He promised
    God sent His only Son

    this would be evidence against the God of the Bible, and a violation of His character
    ??????
    (1 Cor 1:13 KJV) Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

  11. #86
    LIFETIME MEMBER tetelestai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    12,564
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 462 Times in 419 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    332748
    Quote Originally Posted by The Graphite View Post
    If God experiences absolutely no change, then He is an inanimate object.
    No, that would make God an immutable and impassable God, not an inanimate object.
    (1 Cor 1:13 KJV) Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

  12. #87
    Over 750 post club The Graphite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The Unga-Bungalow
    Posts
    988
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tetelestai View Post
    From Merriam Webster:

    Main Entry: 1heed
    Pronunciation: \ˈhēd\
    Function: verb
    Etymology: Middle English, from Old English hēdan; akin to Old High German huota guard, Old English hōd hood
    Date: before 12th century
    intransitive verb
    : to pay attention
    transitive verb
    : to give consideration or attention to : mind <heed what he says> <heed the call>
    "The man did not heed my warning."

    The word "heed" clearly also carries the connotation of doing what was suggested, and this is necessary so, and obvious to anyone but you.

    If you warn me, and I pay close attention to every word of your warning, I understand it, and I willfully reject it and act contrary to it... would you say I heeded your warning? Of course not. That would be a ridiculous conclusion. It carries the meaning of responding in accordance to the warning, or in the above cases, the prophecy.

    God prophecies He will destroy them if they don't repent. They hear Him, they understand Him, and they reject His will. Thus, they did NOT heed His prophecy.

    Peter would not agree that God wants people to only pay attention to His prophecies but doesn't really care if they act in accordance with them.

  13. #88
    Over 500 post club nicholsmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    747
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1310
    Knight, I know that you are busy enough with the prophesy question - and it is a fascinating debate - but could you take a few moments on this?

    Thanks
    Futility: "More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and hopelessness; the other, to total extinction. Let us pray that we will have the wisdom to choose correctly. I speak, by the way, not with any sense of futility, but with a panicky conviction of the absolute meaninglessness of existence."
    - Woody Allen

    Hope:
    Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
    Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.
    Philippians 4:6-8

  14. #89
    Over 750 post club The Graphite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The Unga-Bungalow
    Posts
    988
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tetelestai View Post
    Lets look at your statement:

    God promised a Messiah

    The Jews turned from God

    God sent His only Son

    ??????
    And of course you choose as your example the single most unconditional prophecy in the entire Bible!

    God promises to destroy Ninevah. They repent. He still destroys them.

    That is not the God of the Bible.

    God promises to drive all of the 'Ites from the Promised Land. Isreal rejects God's will. He still blesses them anyway.

    That is not the God of the Bible.

    You are willfully refusing to understand the most simple things we are saying to you in this thread, and you know it. Your attitude is childish at best.

  15. #90
    Patron Saint of SMACK Delmar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    7,613
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 871 Times in 725 Posts

    Blog Entries
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    751546
    Quote Originally Posted by Ask Mr. Religion View Post
    So all the historical discussion and exegesis by so many great theologians of the past and many in the present is easily waved off?

    The "pay off" is a basic view that whatever the essence of God is, it is one that is of a maximum God in all that He is. The atemporality of God is intuitively known outside of special revelation and must be rationalized away for a person to assume God is not in time.

    What is the compelling reason to deny it is the better question.
    It is possible that people who have never been to Bible college or seminary but approach scripture by coming to him "as a child" and simply believing what the scripture says gain more understanding than the great theologians. It is further possible that those great theologians were not all that great!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us