Marijuana

Crow

I hope so.

But most people have to actually lose something they value in order to stop. That's how it was for me, anyway.

Crow

I lost my job and nearly lost my nursing license. That wasn't enough. It was being in jail for another little episode that finally did it.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, I'm sure I speak for many on this site, Crow, when I say that, fortunately, the drugs didn't keep you from becoming a very wise woman. I'm glad to hear that you're clean and I think it's great that you put up the fight to get out of all that. TOL's certainly better for it! :up:

Crow

This stuff is kinda a mixed bag for me. I've done a wide assortment of drugs, including the needle stuff that BillyBob wisely avoided. And I know that marijuana does not result in "reefer madness" type scenarios. I did simple idiotic stuff when I smoked it, but I did that when I got drunk too.

If it weren't illegal, it would be the easiest thing for me to slip back into. Pretending that I don't like the effects would be a lie. I loved them.

The worst thing that marijuana produced in me is a "don't give a damn" attitude. Don't feel like going to work? Call off, it's not that big of a deal. Don't feel like washing clothes? The one's from yesterday aren't all that bad. Hakuna matata. Kick back on the couch and enjoy.

I'm sure that isn't the case for everyone.

I wish I had back some of the hours I spent smoking grass. I wish I had spent them with my father, instead of hanging out with a bunch of jackasses that seemed so funny when I was stoned.

Everyone who smokes grass and does drugs isn't going to ruin their entire life. But they are losing other things while they do, and aiding those who will not be able to control themselves in messing up. And we don't know who those people are.

I still have some friends that are stoners. I don't participate, and I don't hang out with them when they do. But it's tempting. Some of them are truly intelligent and entertaining, and they don't seem to let it interfere with their lives. Some people I know only smoke occasionally, and they don't drive or endanger others when they do.

I know of a marriage right now that is on the rocks, papers already filed, because a woman "thinks" she is taking care of her kids when she's stoned but her husband sees a different picture. He sees his wife hanging out with her scroungy buddies getting stoned, and his son taking it all in. He won't tolerate it, and it's causing grief for the whole family, myself included, because he is a relative.

Could I smoke grass and not screw my life up again? Maybe. But it's not worth the risk for me. Because when someone started pulling out the other recreational chemicals, I would be very tempted. And I'm a huge fan of instant gratification.

Marijuana put a big damper on common sense when I smoked it. I doubt that I'm the only one who experienced that. So I'll avoid it for that reason, and because it's illegal. Another reason I can think of, and I'm not going to pretend that I'm "holy" enough that this is the primary motivation in my case but it's a good one, is that I am a member of the body of Christ. My friends all know that. How do I represent Him if I'm sitting around taking illegal drugs, acting like a stoned giggling horses butt? Not very well, I'm afraid.

LightSon

Originally posted by BillyBob

I am not a biblical scholar, so I never take that position. However, simple common sense would dictate that being high around your children is not the most benificial scenario as a parent.

I've got to ask this BillyBob.

Have you ever been drunk around your kids? With the amount of beer you joke about drinking, I have to wonder.

LightSon

Originally posted by Crow

Marijuana put a big damper on common sense when I smoked it. I doubt that I'm the only one who experienced that. So I'll avoid it for that reason, and because it's illegal. Another reason I can think of, and I'm not going to pretend that I'm "holy" enough that this is the primary motivation in my case but it's a good one, is that I am a member of the body of Christ. My friends all know that. How do I represent Him if I'm sitting around taking illegal drugs, acting like a stoned giggling horses butt? Not very well, I'm afraid.

Wise observations, Crow. :up:

erinmarie

Originally posted by LightSon

Have you ever been drunk around your kids? With the amount of beer you joke about drinking, I have to wonder.

I don't think BB is the main caretaker in his house, if he were drunk, his wife would be there to take care of the kids...

But, saying that, I don't think he does get drunk very often if at all....

Granite

Hall of Fame

Why would it be necessary for a Christian to base every opinion on the Bible?

There's quite a bit that isn't specifically addressed in scripture.

And my opinion of the merits of illicit drug use isn't based on what I enjoy personally--I've taken plenty of illegal drugs in the past and personally enjoyed all of them. That doesn't mean that using them was a good thing. Mostly it means that I was being a jackass.

Where else would a Christian derive his basis for belief? If you guys make up a lot as you go along, you're not different from a non-Christian.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Turbo

But being a drunkard is not condoned. And getting high is a form of intoxication.

Exactly. So by that rationale using weed is fine as long as you don't get blazed beyond your wits. A pleasant high or a medicinal puff is acceptable by this thinking.

On Fire

Originally posted by LivingDeadDoll

i have taken EVERY precaution i can think of to keep this away from my children

:darwinsm: :darwinsm: :darwinsm: :darwinsm: :darwinsm: :darwinsm: :darwinsm: :darwinsm: :darwinsm: :darwinsm: :darwinsm: :darwinsm:

Are you SERIOUS?!?! Find someone who grew up with alcoholic parents. Chances are they never saw their parents drink but they suffered PLENTY of consequences: mental, physical and psychological.

Crow

Originally posted by granite1010

Where else would a Christian derive his basis for belief? If you guys make up a lot as you go along, you're not different from a non-Christian.

Yeah, granite. I need a biblical reason not to do heroin. Or any other drug. Screwing up my life isn't reason enough. :rolleyes:

There are biblical reasons for not doing drugs, but they're hardly my main motivation. I've done drugs, and I remember what it's like to lose my job and nearly lose my nursing license, and the fast talking I had to do to get my former employer not to turn me into the DEA, as he should have.

I quit using illegal drugs about 20 years before I became a Christian, so I can't tell you how much it would have figured into the decision.

And Christians aren't that much different from non-Christians. Except where salvation is concerned. We're a mixed bag, just like other bunch of people.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by LightSon

I have been drunk, high, stoned, geeked, etc. and it cost me my family.

I quit using drugs before I met Mrs. BillyBob and therefor I have never been high in front of her children. I enjoy a few beers at night and I have had more than a few at times, but the Mrs., as Erinmarie pointed out, is the main caretaker and never drinks more than 1 beer and even that is rare. So, even if I have a [beer] buzz on, Mrs. BillyBob is sober.

Also, I never drink so much that I become argumentative or anything that would be damaging to our family. The boys see me have a buddy or two come over, drink a few beers and have a fun time talking, joking and playing guitars. They are learning how to drink responsibly.

I will remind you that beer is legal.

Granite

Hall of Fame

Yeah, granite. I need a biblical reason not to do heroin. Or any other drug. Screwing up my life isn't reason enough. :rolleyes:

There are biblical reasons for not doing drugs, but they're hardly my main motivation. I've done drugs, and I remember what it's like to lose my job and nearly lose my nursing license, and the fast talking I had to do to get my former employer not to turn me into the DEA, as he should have.

I quit using illegal drugs about 20 years before I became a Christian, so I can't tell you how much it would have figured into the decision.

And Christians aren't that much different from non-Christians. Except where salvation is concerned. We're a mixed bag, just like other bunch of people.

But you can do drugs and NOT screw your life up, just as some people can drink and not turn into complete drunkards. It's a matter of personal preference and control (or at least it should be).

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

This stuff is kinda a mixed bag for me. I've done a wide assortment of drugs, including the needle stuff that BillyBob wisely avoided. And I know that marijuana does not result in "reefer madness" type scenarios. I did simple idiotic stuff when I smoked it, but I did that when I got drunk too.

If it weren't illegal, it would be the easiest thing for me to slip back into. Pretending that I don't like the effects would be a lie. I loved them.

The worst thing that marijuana produced in me is a "don't give a damn" attitude. Don't feel like going to work? Call off, it's not that big of a deal. Don't feel like washing clothes? The one's from yesterday aren't all that bad. Hakuna matata. Kick back on the couch and enjoy.

I wish I had back some of the hours I spent smoking grass. I wish I had spent them with my father, instead of hanging out with a bunch of jackasses that seemed so funny when I was stoned.

Everyone who smokes grass and does drugs isn't going to ruin their entire life. But they are losing other things while they do, and aiding those who will not be able to control themselves in messing up. And we don't know who those people are.

I still have some friends that are stoners. I don't participate, and I don't hang out with them when they do. But it's tempting. Some of them are truly intelligent and entertaining, and they don't seem to let it interfere with their lives. Some people I know only smoke occasionally, and they don't drive or endanger others when they do.

I know of a marriage right now that is on the rocks, papers already filed, because a woman "thinks" she is taking care of her kids when she's stoned but her husband sees a different picture. He sees his wife hanging out with her scroungy buddies getting stoned, and his son taking it all in. He won't tolerate it, and it's causing grief for the whole family, myself included, because he is a relative.

Could I smoke grass and not screw my life up again? Maybe. But it's not worth the risk for me. Because when someone started pulling out the other recreational chemicals, I would be very tempted. And I'm a huge fan of instant gratification.

POTD :up:

LivingDeadDoll

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by Turbo

It wasn't until it became abundantly clear that you were rejecting all guidance that didn't affirm your behaviour, and that you were talking out of both sides of your mouth regarding your drug use, that people started treating you like a fool who hates correction.

But you had your mind made up about marijuana before you ever started this thread, didn't you?

Yes, i mostly had my mind made up about what i was doing before i started this thread, i was only curious what it was that others thought. And i was especially curious about what the bible had to say about it. However this thread turned from a discussion about marijuana to everyone personally bashing ME. Just because i do not have the same ideals and lifestyle that you do does not mean you have to keep trying to change what i am doing. You have tried to do that, and it didn't happen, so instead of getting mad and resorting to hurting my feelings just because you don't like what i do, why can't we agree to disagree. Why do i have to be wrong for you to be right? Of course i have taken on an attitude, i keep getting pounded by everyone. But i still stick to the same points. And the main one is this. You can all stop already, you cannot change me if i do not feel wrong, you have all tried to make your points and i'm sorry but i still feel like i am doing nothing wrong. So stop picking me apart already. And just because i do things differently than you doesn't mean i should be made fun of whether it be behind my back or in front of my face. It just isn't very nice no matter how you would like to justify it. And i don't think Christ would have made fun of others to the point that he pushed them away from a situation where they could learn more about him. And i feel that is what you are doing.

LivingDeadDoll

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
. I did simple idiotic stuff when I smoked it, but I did that when I got drunk too.

Maybe some people are better equipt to handle themselves in certain situations. i'm not "hanging out doing stupid things." you must have this crazy picture in your head of what is going on just because i am smoking marijuana. And i'm sorry but it does not produce a "don't give a damn attitude in me." i don't have a job to loose over it and neither does my husband, and we still take care of all of our responsibilites, nothing has ever gone unattented to because of it. stop comparing what i am dong to all of your life experiences, i am not you. maybe you could entertain the thought that i am able to deal with what i am doing because i do it in moderation, i'm not walking around stoned all day, i'm not doing it when i have other things that i should be doing, i'm not at risk for losing my husband because of it, i'm not going to loose my children because of it, and i am not going to turn them into some kind of raging drug addicts either. some of the things said in this thread have been a little far fetched.

LivingDeadDoll

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Originally posted by BillyBob

but the Mrs., as Erinmarie pointed out, is the main caretaker and never drinks more than 1 beer and even that is rare.
Also, I never drink so much that I become argumentative or anything that would be damaging to our family. The boys see me have a buddy or two come over, drink a few beers and have a fun time talking, joking and playing guitars. They are learning how to drink responsibly.

I will remind you that beer is legal.

Wow that is rich, so it's ok for you or your wife to have a pleasurable buzz around your kids but not me, why do you have the mpression that i smoke so much weed i can't see straight anyway???? when i smoke i am not argumentative at all or anything else damaging to my family. So you can have a fun time, enjoy your buzz, play guitars whatever...but i should uphold the most strict lifestyle i can so as not to damge my children.:confused:

IF MARIJUANA WERE LEGAL NO ONE WOULD HAVE A PROBLEM WITH WHAT I AM DOING!!!

(i'm not shouting at you i just wanted everyone to see that sentence)

In the beginning of this thread everyone thought it would be fine to legalize it.

All things considered, no one really has a problem with what i am doing, except for the legality, that's where the problem comes in.

Crow

Originally posted by LivingDeadDoll

Maybe some people are better equipt to handle themselves in certain situations. i'm not "hanging out doing stupid things." you must have this crazy picture in your head of what is going on just because i am smoking marijuana. And i'm sorry but it does not produce a "don't give a damn attitude in me." i don't have a job to loose over it and neither does my husband, and we still take care of all of our responsibilites, nothing has ever gone unattented to because of it. stop comparing what i am dong to all of your life experiences, i am not you. maybe you could entertain the thought that i am able to deal with what i am doing because i do it in moderation, i'm not walking around stoned all day, i'm not doing it when i have other things that i should be doing, i'm not at risk for losing my husband because of it, i'm not going to loose my children because of it, and i am not going to turn them into some kind of raging drug addicts either. some of the things said in this thread have been a little far fetched.

Let's look at what's far fetched. A person comes onto a Christian message board, posts that she smokes grass, and doesn't expect a negative reaction? Puh-leeze! :rolleyes: If you were able to read the post you quoted with comprehension, you would have noted this:

and possibly even this:

Everyone who smokes grass and does drugs isn't going to ruin their entire life.

or even this:

Could I smoke grass and not screw my life up again? Maybe. But it's not worth the risk for me.

Reread the post, and point out to me where you were mentioned.