homeschool insights

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
Perhaps I could use this thread to get some insights on homeschooling; pro or con. My wife wants to do it, but I question it because I think it'll overwork her and not give us the break we can get each day by sending kids to school.

Discuss, please :)

Nineveh

Merely Christian
I moved your thread into the Homeschooling Forum :)

Personally, I like it :) I like the freedom of time off when we need it and I like being able to slow down or speed up depending on where my daughter is having trouble or excelling.

I go with an ABeka accredited DVD program. My "duties" include grading tests, helping her out when she doesn't understand a concept and recording grades.

There are a few curriculums out there. I've also heard good things about Alpha Omega. They have a few different ways to go about homeschooling.

That's about all I can think to add right now, but I'm sure the homeschoolers will be more than happy to offer you all the info they got on just about any question you might have :)

the Sibbie

Re: homeschool insights

Originally posted by The Edge

Perhaps I could use this thread to get some insights on homeschooling; pro or con. My wife wants to do it, but I question it because I think it'll overwork her and not give us the break we can get each day by sending kids to school.

The Edge, you should be proud that your wife has a such good attitude towards it. :thumb:

I recall a woman at my church comment on how her husband worked night shifts and her son hardly ever got to see him and that once her son started kindergarten, he would see his father even less. I suggested that she homeschool so her son could spend a little more time with his dad. She scoffed, "I'm against homeschooling." Then said how she cannot wait to get him out of the house during the day so she had more time to herself! :( I wondered if she later realized how selfish that sounded. :nono:

I think if your wife is physically capable of taking care of herself, then she probably can handle it. My mom has ten kids and homeschooled all of us! :)

Crow

Re: homeschool insights

I went to a series of public schools, but most of it was just going over what I already knew because my father spent literally thousands of hours teaching his kids, in addition to holding down a full time job. To him, teaching his kids was more fun than work. It was great for us too, as we seemed to learn faster from Dad than we did in public school, and it was just a heck of a lot better to please him than to please a teacher.

I learned far more from my father than I did cutting from up and being a class clown in the presence of my like-minded peers.

If your wife is truly interested and willing to homeschool your kids, I would suggest that you let her try it. If it's too much for her, there's always the option of sending them back to public school.

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
The Sibbie said
I think if your wife is physically capable of taking care of herself, then she probably can handle it. My mom has ten kids and homeschooled all of us!
She is physically able, but I hope it does not overburden her ir mentally tire her out so much paying so much attention to the kids that she has no "husband/wife time" which I value very much.
I am not trying to sound selfish, but a wife who gives to the kids so much that she can't give to her spouse is neglecting her biblical duties as a wife. I hope my wife doesn't do that. If she can keep the balance, that is work with the kids but also be cool with the husband that would be boss! :)

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
Crow,
I am going to let her try it. I hope my fears are not realized. I hope it goes well. Must make sure the marriage stays healthy. I think it would be very difficult to be consentrating on homeschooling a 5-6 year old with demanding little babies and toddlers still running around the house. It seems intuitive to me that home schooling will work better on children that are more spaced apart. Any insights on doing it with close in age children like I have?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Try it but when and if your kids want to go to a private/public school, don't necessarily fight it.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned

The Sibbie said
She is physically able,

You bet! Women are built for this kinda work. They can homeschool the kids, make the meals, do the shopping, clean the house, do the laundry and take out the garbage without ever feeling tired or overburdened.

but I hope it does not overburden her ir mentally tire her out so much paying so much attention to the kids that she has no "husband/wife time" which I value very much.

Eh, that whole thing is overated. You'll get sick of it soon enough and will be thankful your wife is busy doing her chores while you lay on the couch and watch a football game.

I am not trying to sound selfish, but a wife who gives to the kids so much that she can't give to her spouse is neglecting her biblical duties as a wife.

She'll have time for that! What are we talking about anyway, 2 minutes a couple nights a week? I'm sure she can squeeze it in.

I hope my wife doesn't do that. If she can keep the balance, that is work with the kids but also be cool with the husband that would be boss! :)

You just gotta put your foot down once in awhile and remind her who her master is.

[Then say 'Fetch me a beer, I'll be on the couch'.]

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Re: Re: homeschool insights

Re: Re: homeschool insights

Originally posted by Crow

I learned far more from my father than I did cutting from up and being a class clown in the presence of my like-minded peers.

I still learn more from my father to this day than I ever learned in public school.

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
Originally posted by BillyBob

You bet! Women are built for this kinda work. They can homeschool the kids, make the meals, do the shopping, clean the house, do the laundry and take out the garbage without ever feeling tired or overburdened.
Billybob I don't believe women are "built" to slave in the house.

Eh, that whole thing is overated. You'll get sick of it soon enough and will be thankful your wife is busy doing her chores while you lay on the couch and watch a football game.
Quality time iwth my wife is never overrated. I hope you are joking here; women deserve more respect than to be thought of as a house slave.

She'll have time for that! What are we talking about anyway, 2 minutes a couple nights a week? I'm sure she can squeeze it in.
I'm talking about more than that; I'm talking about quality time together, just cuddling on the couch watching a movie, going on a "date" alone every couple weeks or so, doing stuff together adult time without the kids.

You just gotta put your foot down once in awhile and remind her who her master is.
[Then say 'Fetch me a beer, I'll be on the couch'.]
I don't buy into this, and I don't drink beer. I am glad to help her our with chores around the house. They get done faster and leaves us more time to enjoy eachother's company. I usually do dishes, vacuum, and cut the grass, and do about half the laundry. It's only fair.

the Sibbie

I usually do dishes, vacuum, and cut the grass, and do about half the laundry. It's only fair.
Wow! Your wife is spoiled! She should have plenty of time to homeschool! :chuckle:

The Edge

BANNED
Banned
She should have plenty of time to homeschool!
Thanks Sibbie. I also hope she doesn't get mentally fried by it. She gets tired very easily because her health isn't that great. She's always either pregnant or nursing and that takes a lot out of you, and also she had her gall bladder out last summer and has intestinal issues.....so she's tired a lot and my kids don't have the respect yet to take it easy on her so sometimes she's just very tired by the time we put them to bed. That is part of why we put the kids to bed by 7pm, which some would consider early.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Sounds like you guys have plenty of time to look through the options to see if any fit your family (how old is Ian?).

btw... You have earned some cookies for helping out right now :)

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

...so she's tired a lot and my kids don't have the respect yet to take it easy on her so sometimes she's just very tired by the time we put them to bed. That is part of why we put the kids to bed by 7pm, which some would consider early.
The Edge,

A few months ago I read a book called To Train Up a Child by Michael and Debi Pearl. It's around 100 pages and it sells for around $5. I highly recommend checking it out. You can read chapter one online.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned

I don't buy into this, and I don't drink beer. I am glad to help her our with chores around the house. They get done faster and leaves us more time to enjoy eachother's company. I usually do dishes, vacuum, and cut the grass, and do about half the laundry. It's only fair.

Sucker!

Sozo

Originally posted by BillyBob

Sucker!

:chuckle:

animal-smiley-030.gif

+

Whip.gif

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Edge, you will be amazed at all the time you can arrange with homeschooling. But that doesn't matter. Quit worrying about time between you and your wife. You are both adults, you can arrange it. Don't make some excuse akin to no being able to get blood out of a turnip - you're smart enough to work it out.

It's your children that should take precedence. They need the superior education. But that isn't important. What is really important is the superior training they will get in their character because of homeschooling. Anything else is less efficient - and all you really need to do is want to homeschool to be successful. Since she is already willing, you already 90% successful.

Sozo

Originally posted by Yorzhik

The Edge, you will be amazed at all the time you can arrange with homeschooling. But that doesn't matter. Quit worrying about time between you and your wife. You are both adults, you can arrange it. Don't make some excuse akin to no being able to get blood out of a turnip - you're smart enough to work it out.

It's your children that should take precedence. They need the superior education. But that isn't important. What is really important is the superior training they will get in their character because of homeschooling. Anything else is less efficient - and all you really need to do is want to homeschool to be successful. Since she is already willing, you already 90% successful.

:BRAVO:

Children are safer spending the night at Michael Jackson's house, then they are in public schools!