The Atonement: What did it REALLY Accomplish?

beloved57

They are made free from Spiritual Darkness:

properly, set free, release from bondage; (figuratively) to remove the restrictions of sin (darkness) because delivered by God into true spiritual liberty (growth)

By nature men are not only in darkness of which the elect are called out of 1 Pet 2:9

9 [FONT=&quot]But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

Col 1:13

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Who hath delivered us from the power of [/FONT]darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

Paul writes that we were sometimes darkness Eph 5:8

[FONT=&quot]For ye were sometimes [/FONT]darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:

But now, those Christ died for are made free from darkness, even spiritual darkness. If anyone Christ died for isnt delivered from darkness, His death failed its power and purpose !

beloved57

It made them free from the Law !

Rom 7:1-4

Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

The Body of Christ, His Church which He Loved and gave Himself for Eph 5:25, which are Gods Chosen Eph 1:4, they were made free from the obligation of the Law. The word free in Jn 8:36 eleutheros means:

free, delivered from obligation.

Its the same word Paul uses in Rom 7:3 regarding the liberated wife

[FONT=&quot]So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

Which he writes to show forth how that those Christ died for became free or dead to the Law in Rom 7:4

[/FONT]
Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

The word dead here, the greek word thanatoó:

I put to death, subdue; pass: I am in danger of death, am dead to, am rid of, am parted from.

by death to be liberated from the bond of anything (literally, to be made dead in relation to

So they become liberated from the law, which ordinarily, by nature in the flesh, all men are bound to the law ! Rom 7:1

Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?

Gal 5:3

For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

So they have been made free from the Laws curse and condemnation because of sin, 1 Cor 15:56

[FONT=&quot]The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.[/FONT]

Nanja

It made them free from the Law !

Rom 7:1-4

2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.

3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

The Body of Christ, His Church which He Loved and gave Himself for Eph 5:25, which are Gods Chosen Eph 1:4, they were made free from the obligation of the Law. The word free in Jn 8:36 eleutheros means:

free, delivered from obligation.

Its the same word Paul uses in Rom 7:3 regarding the liberated wife

[FONT="]So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: [B]but if her husband be dead, she is[U] free from that law[/U]; [/B]so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

Which he writes to show forth how that those Christ died for became free or dead to the Law in Rom 7:4

[/FONT][/COLOR]Wherefore, my brethren, [B]ye also are become[U] dead [/U]to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another[/B], even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

The word dead here, the greek word thanatoó:

I put to death, subdue; pass: I am in danger of death, am dead to,[B] am rid of, am parted from.[/B]

[B]by death [U]to be liberated from the bond of[/U][U] anything[/U] (literally, to be made dead in relation to

[/B][COLOR="#006400"]So they become liberated from the law, which ordinarily, by nature in the flesh, all men are bound to the law !
Rom 7:1

Gal 5:3

For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

So they have been made free from the Laws curse and condemnation because of sin, 1 Cor 15:56

[FONT="][B]The sting of death is sin; and [U]the strength of sin is the law[/U][/B][U].[/U][/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE][/COLOR]

Christ's Church chosen in Union with Him before the foundation Eph. 1:4, were made Free from the condemnation and curse of the law in their Covenant Head and Surety Heb. 7:22 [Husband Eph. 5:25] and were risen with Him Heb. 13:20. So they are born into this world dead to the Law even while being born sinners; and shall be born again in time.

Rom. 8:1
There is therefore now [COLOR="#006400"]no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus
, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

But those outside of Christ, the non elect whom Christ is not their Husband, they must keep all the law perfectly or suffer the second death as payment for their own sins Rev. 21:8.

beloved57

The atonement, the death of Christ ensures sanctification through the truth Jn 17:19

19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through/in the truth.

Jesus here speaking as the High Priest of His People, of His Death as High Priest and Offering, stated a grand purpose , aim for which He sanctified Himself for, which sanctification denotes His death, it was in order that, those He acted in behalf of, might be sanctified through or in the Truth !

Christ's death cannot be in vain or without purpose, for it must accomplish certain objectives. This one clearly stated is the sanctification in the Truth. This is answered whenever the Spirit sets apart one of the chosen ones unto belief of the Truth 2 Thess 2:13

13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

This also agrees with Pauls writings to the Ephesians here Eph 5:25

Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it[As High Priest];

26 That [hina of purpose] he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

Now for anyone Christ died, does not obtain this purpose of being sanctified in the Truth, an efficasious Work of the Spirit, then Christ's death failed to meet one of its grand purposes. How many today would teach us falsely that many for whom Christ died never are sanctified in the Truth, which denotes belief of the Truth, out of unbelief ?

Last edited:

Nanja

beloved57

How many today would teach us falsely that many for whom Christ died never are sanctified in the Truth, which denotes belief of the Truth, out of unbelief ?

They who do so are guilty of blasphemy against God and the efficacy of Christ's Blood to save them He shed it for.

If one never comes to the knowledge of / belief of the Truth, it means that Christ did not sanctify them with His own Blood Heb. 13:12, they were not members of His Church He Loved Eph. 5:25, and evidence that it was never God's desire for them to be saved Job 23:13, because we know that many shall die in their sins John 8:24.

beloved57

Two Gifts of Gods Grace to sinners Christ died for !

Two things Christ has accomplished for every sinner He Lived and died for, the election of grace, or His Body the Church before they do anything, before they are born even, are these:

#1 Forgiveness of sins and or pardon of sins Eph 1:7

[FONT=&quot]In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace; A Gift of Grace !

[/FONT]
as a gift or blessing brought to man by Jesus Christ,

And second, A Gift of Righteousness freely imputed to them Rom 5:17

For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

They received it by Imputation, thats what makes it a free gift, Rom 4:6

Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,

This is the Righteousness of the Law Rom 8:3-4

For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

This means that Christ kept the totality of the righteousness of the law required by God for man, all men He did it for have it imputed to their charge, as a free gift !

beloved57

Destroyed The devils power of death

Heb 2:14

Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

The devil had power over death, to include spiritual death. Its he that brought about the fall of Adam, causing him to sin, which wages is death Rom 5:12

12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

That's why Jesus calls the devil a murderer Jn 8:44

44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Now as long as we are spiritually dead, we are under the devils power, cause he has power of death, though hes defeated, but his defeat by Christ is made manifest when we are made Spiritually alive. You see if any sinner Christ died for remains in spiritual death, then the devil has the victory over Christ, and many deceivers are in the world saying sinners Christ died for will remain in spiritual death !

Nanja

Destroyed The devils power of death

Heb 2:14

Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

The devil had power over death, to include spiritual death. Its he that brought about the fall of Adam, causing him to sin, which wages is death Rom 5:12

12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

That's why Jesus calls the devil a murderer Jn 8:44

44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Now as long as we are spiritually dead, we are under the devils power, cause he has power of death, though hes defeated, but his defeat by Christ is made manifest when we are made Spiritually alive. You see if any sinner Christ died for remains in spiritual death, then the devil has the victory over Christ, and many deceivers are in the world saying sinners Christ died for will remain in spiritual death !

Right, they are deceivers by declaring Christ's death was for all men without exception.

And by them doing so become false witnesses to the efficacy of Christ's Blood to save those whom it was shed for, thus giving the victory and glory to the power of the devil, while knowing full well that many will go into the second death Mat. 25:41; Rev. 21:8 to pay the price for their own sins; for the wages of sin is Death.

But Christ shed His Blood exclusively for The Children of God Heb. 2:14-16, the Spiritual Seed of Abraham Gal. 3:16; 29, placed in Union with Christ before the foundation to be holy and without blame before Him in Love Eph. 1:4-5.

So at some point in time, every one of these Election of Grace shall be given Spiritual Life in New Birth and receive the Promise of the Spirit through Faith Gal. 5:22, the Blessing of Abraham Gal. 3:13-14.

beloved57

Right, they are deceivers by declaring Christ's death was for all men without exception.

And by them doing so become false witnesses to the efficacy of Christ's Blood to save those whom it was shed for, thus giving the victory and glory to the power of the devil, while knowing full well that many will go into the second death Mat. 25:41; Rev. 21:8 to pay the price for their own sins; for the wages of sin is Death.

But Christ shed His Blood exclusively for The Children of God Heb. 2:14-16, the Spiritual Seed of Abraham Gal. 3:16; 29, placed in Union with Christ before the foundation to be holy and without blame before Him in Love Eph. 1:4-5.

So at some point in time, every one of these Election of Grace shall be given Spiritual Life in New Birth and receive the Promise of the Spirit through Faith Gal. 5:22, the Blessing of Abraham Gal. 3:13-14.
Very Good Post!

Sent from my 5054N using TheologyOnline mobile app

beloved57

It turns us from our sins,iniquities !

Remember Peter preached to some jews these words Acts 3:25-26

25 Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed.

26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

Now even though at the specific time Peter was speaking to jews, people of Abrahams physical seed, the Blessing announced was not to be limited to them, for the promised blessing[ turning from sin] was of the Abrahamic Covenant and included " all the kindreds of the earth" See Gen 22:18

And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice. This was a restating of what God hath promised Abraham earlier here Gen 12:3

3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

Wherein Paul applies it specifically to the Gentles Gal 3:8

8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

So understand, the Blessing of individuals being turned from their sins as Peter Preached in Acts 3:25-26 was not exclusively to jewish ethnicity,but did include some of the Gentile World, those of the Spiritual Seed of Abraham. Next we will look at the specific Blessing Promised and delivered by the Christ, the Seed of Abraham, a being turned from their sins,iniquities !

beloved57

Acts 3:26

26 Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

Now just exactly what is this turning away from iniquity ? The words "turning away" its the greek

apostrephó
Phonetic Spelling: (ap-os-tref'-o)
Short Definition: I turn away, restore, reject
Definition: I turn away, pervert, remove; I restore, replace; mid: I desert, reject.

I turn, am converted, change, change my direction

In other words Christ converts us, causes to change our direction, Christ is the Author of this action. For example, remember the prodigal son when he did this Lk 15:17-18

17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!
18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,

This noticeable change of direction for this wayward son is the fruit of Christ's redemption in turning one from their iniquity

Christ was the Author by His powerful Grace working in the mind and heart of this son, of coming to his senses and arisng and going to his Father in repentance and confession . This illustrates the blessing conveyed in Acts 3:26!

Nanja

Acts 3:26

Now just exactly what is this turning away from iniquity ? The words "turning away" its the greek

apostrephó
Phonetic Spelling: (ap-os-tref'-o)
Short Definition: I turn away, restore, reject
Definition: I turn away, pervert, remove; I restore, replace; mid: I desert, reject.

I turn, am converted, change, change my direction

In other words Christ converts us, causes to change our direction, Christ is the Author of this action. For example, remember the prodigal son when he did this Lk 15:17-18

17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!
18 I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee,

This noticeable change of direction for this wayward son is the fruit of Christ's redemption in turning one from their iniquity

Christ was the Author by His powerful Grace working in the mind and heart of this son, of coming to his senses and arisng and going to his Father in repentance and confession . This illustrates the blessing conveyed in Acts 3:26!

Just as you have eloquently shown, the prodigal son is a perfect example of Christ's Power working in all God's Chosen People, jew and gentile, which Christ [Israel Is. 49:3] shed His Blood for Heb. 2:16; the only People [Israel Is. 45:17] Promised Salvation from all the nations of the earth Gen. 22:18; not according to ethnicity, but exclusively by His Grace.

Acts 5:31
Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Acts 11:18
When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

It's only to them, Elect Israel, His Seed Gal. 3:16, 29 whom Christ gives the ability to turn from sin, which is an effect of New Birth Ezek. 36:24-27.

beloved57

It made believers free from sin !

The atoning death of Christ made believers dead to sin Rom 6:7

7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

See every true believer, prior to becoming a believer, died when Christ died, so Pauls meaning here in Rom 6:3-6

3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6 Knowing this, that our old man is[was past tense] crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

The sinner we were in Adam, with all of our sins was put to death with Christ as they were/had been charged to Him as our surety representative, so when He died, all whom He represented died.

Paul makes the same point here 2 Cor 5:14

14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:

The ESV captures the original meaning of this verse here:

For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died;
The all Christ died for all died with Him !

So back to our text in Rom 6:7

7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

Now the word freed here is an interesting word and its a legal word, its the word dikaioó and means:

I make righteous, defend the cause of, plead for the righteousness (innocence) of, acquit, justify; hence: I regard as righteous.

The ASV captures the truth:
for he that hath died is justified from sin.

So everyone, all for whom Christ died have been Justified from sin, they stand just and righteous before Gods Law and Justice, as a free gift through Jesus Christ.
Those Christ died for never can be charged with sin Rom 4:8
Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

This blessed man is everyone for whom Christ died !

Its an whole world of men 2 Cor 5:19

To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

Why doesnt God charge these ones with their sins ? Because they have died with Christ and have become freed from Sin Rom 6:7 !

beloved57

It the death of Christ, for those He died, He through His death redeemed them from all iniquity Titus 2:14

14 [FONT=&quot]Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Hence, none for whom He died can be of these here Matt 7:23

[/FONT]
23 [FONT=&quot]And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

​Christ could never say those words to them He gave Himself for and redeemed them from all iniquity, for they have no iniquity to work ![/FONT]

beloved57

Christ's Covenantal Death, opens the eyes of the blind !

Did you know that one of the purposes and residual effects of Christ's Death for all whom He died is that they will have spiritual eyes open ? Isa 42:6-7

[FONT=&quot] I the Lord have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles; See Rom 8:32[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7 To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.

Gods elect are by nature spiritually blind, but Christ's death for them effects an opening of their spiritually blind eyes. Jesus said once that His purpose for coming was Judgment, observe Jn 9:39

And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that[hina of purpose] they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.

Thats why He says His Fathers Will was this Jn 6:40

40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Believing on Him accompanies the seeing of Him, and this was the result and the will of Him that sent Him, that gave Him to be a Covenant of the People, the People of the Elect or His Sheep, or His Body the Church !
[/FONT]

Nanja

Christ's Covenantal Death, opens the eyes of the blind !

Did you know that one of the purposes and residual effects of Christ's Death for all whom He died is that they will have spiritual eyes open ? Isa 42:6-7

[FONT="][SIZE=4][FONT=Arial][B] [/B][/FONT]I the Lord have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, [B]and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;[/B] See Rom 8:32[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT="]7 To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.

Gods elect are by nature spiritually blind, but Christ's death for them effects an opening of their spiritually blind eyes. Jesus said once that His purpose for coming was Judgment, observe Jn 9:39

And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that[hina of purpose] they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.

Thats why He says His Fathers Will was this Jn 6:40

40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Believing on Him accompanies the seeing of Him, and this was the result and the will of Him that sent Him, that gave Him to be a Covenant of the People, the People of the Elect or His Sheep, or His Body the Church !
[/FONT]

Amen, yes I do!

Christ's Covenant Death as Head and Surety of all those given Him of the Father Eph. 1:4; John 6:37;17:2, shall have their spiritually blind eyes opened, and See and Believe In Him their Head, who shall send them His Spirit as Promised.

Gal. 3:13-14
13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree: 14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Faith in Christ, a fruit and gift of the Spirit Gal. 5:22; Eph. 2:8 given in New Birth, is the result of Him opening their eyes!

Acts 26:18
To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.

oatmeal

Rom 5:11

11And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

The Atonement of Christ has reconciled the elect world to God. It secured and ensured for it [ the elect world] every spiritual blessing needed to live unto God and for His Glory through Jesus christ.

Even before the elect are born into this world as sinners, they have already [by the blood of Christ] been reconciled to God, it will now be a matter of time for it to be manifested.

The atonement accomplished the complete salvation for all whom it was offered for, that is the death of christ. It provides them Faith, repentance, sanctification, redemption, and every needful spiritual blessing to convert them to God, and remain secured forever.

Atonement.

beloved57

Christ's Covenantal Death, opens the eyes of the blind !2

The Opening of the blind eyes here in Isa 42:7 is not speaking of regular physical blindness, but a spiritual blindness of the mind as per Eph 4:18

[FONT=&quot]Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the [/FONT]blindnessof their heart:

This is important because true conversion must and does believe with the heart Rom 10:10

[FONT=&quot]For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

But not possible if in our native blindness of heart.

Man cant believe the Gospel with a blinded mind 2 Cor 4:3-4

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

In fact being in that condition is being in a lost condition.

Now that this opening of blind eyes has to do with bringing them to Faith or Believing is confirmed by the next phrase as to what the Covenant Death of Christ Effects, Isa 42:7

7 To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.

Now what meaneth this "to bring out the prisoners from the prison" ? Why its the prison of unbelief ![/FONT]