Trump: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizardofOz

US President Donald Trump has been mocked on social media for hypocrisy for a tweet in 2012 that accused the White House of a lack of transparency.

The Twitter backlash came as Trump's administration announced on Friday (14 April) that it would not release the White House visitor's log.

link

Should the White House make their visitor log public?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
There is plenty of coal on this planet. It provides cheap energy. Starving the nation from cheap energy drives up energy prices. That slows down economic growth. How is that forward thinking?

Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app
The world is trying to move off fossil fuels. Trump is staying behind by focusing on saving coal. There are more factors at play than the regulations that Trump is removing. Even some people in the industry are skeptical that coal jobs will come streaming back.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-energy-idUSKBN16Z1L6

"I cannot tell you how many jobs the executive order is going to create, but I can tell you that it provides confidence in this administration’s commitment to the coal industry," Kentucky Coal Association president Tyler White told Reuters.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/24/investing/trump-coal-epa-regulation/index.html

Even Robert Murray, the CEO of the largest U.S. private coal miner, thinks Trump is going to have a hard time keeping his coal promises.
Coal employment "can't be brought back to where it was before the election of Barack Obama," the Murray Energy CEO recently told CNNMoney, adding that he asked Trump to "temper" his coal promises.

Another quote from the Money article.
Despite Trump's best intentions and regulation-busting actions, experts don't believe they will be enough to save coal.
That's because coal has a fierce competitor in the form of natural gas. It's cheap, it's clean and there's a ton of it in the U.S. Plus, Trump himself supports expanded drilling of U.S. shale, the chief source of the boom in natural gas.
"The coal jobs aren't coming back," said James Van Nostrand, director of the Center for Energy and Sustainable Development at West Virginia University College of Law.
He called it "nonsense" to think lighter regulation will change that. "The coal industry is being pounded by market forces. It's not regulation," he said.

Trump can attempt to remove regulations but what is he going to do about the natural gas competition?

I know Trump needs to try to help them for political reasons since they are part of his base, but he might not end up having much of an effect and we need to move toward renewable sources anyway. I'm glad to see that the rest of the world is continuing on despite Trump's actions.

drbrumley

He's already done the best thing for us ------- kept Hillary from being our President.

Well, that is correct, but most voted for that reason alone, out of self defense. It isn't like Trump wowed alot of folks and people actually voted FOR the man on principle.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
US President Donald Trump has been mocked on social media for hypocrisy for a tweet in 2012 that accused the White House of a lack of transparency.

The Twitter backlash came as Trump's administration announced on Friday (14 April) that it would not release the White House visitor's log.

link

Should the White House make their visitor log public?

That article says that the disclosures began under Obama, so there isn't a long tradition of it. I wonder if previous administrations who didn't cited security risks and privacy concerns like Trump is doing. Or maybe it just never really came up until now? :idunno: I would lean toward having the transparency but I might be able to see some privacy concerns. Maybe there could be a way to have different classifications of visitors and only disclose some of them.

ClimateSanity

The world is trying to move off fossil fuels. Trump is staying behind by focusing on saving coal. There are more factors at play than the regulations that Trump is removing. Even some people in the industry are skeptical that coal jobs will come streaming back.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-energy-idUSKBN16Z1L6

"I cannot tell you how many jobs the executive order is going to create, but I can tell you that it provides confidence in this administration’s commitment to the coal industry," Kentucky Coal Association president Tyler White told Reuters.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/24/investing/trump-coal-epa-regulation/index.html

Even Robert Murray, the CEO of the largest U.S. private coal miner, thinks Trump is going to have a hard time keeping his coal promises.
Coal employment "can't be brought back to where it was before the election of Barack Obama," the Murray Energy CEO recently told CNNMoney, adding that he asked Trump to "temper" his coal promises.

Another quote from the Money article.
Despite Trump's best intentions and regulation-busting actions, experts don't believe they will be enough to save coal.
That's because coal has a fierce competitor in the form of natural gas. It's cheap, it's clean and there's a ton of it in the U.S. Plus, Trump himself supports expanded drilling of U.S. shale, the chief source of the boom in natural gas.
"The coal jobs aren't coming back," said James Van Nostrand, director of the Center for Energy and Sustainable Development at West Virginia University College of Law.
He called it "nonsense" to think lighter regulation will change that. "The coal industry is being pounded by market forces. It's not regulation," he said.

Trump can attempt to remove regulations but what is he going to do about the natural gas competition?

I know Trump needs to try to help them for political reasons since they are part of his base, but he might not end up having much of an effect and we need to move toward renewable sources anyway. I'm glad to see that the rest of the world is continuing on despite Trump's actions.
Ask the poor people in America how happy they are about the rising cost of energy.

More importantly, ask the people in developing countries how happy they are about moving away from fossil fuels. It keeps them mired in poverty and disease. Don't tell me the world is moving away from fossil fuels. The elites and the suckers that follow them are moving away.....the people who have no voice and no real information are not on board.

Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app

fool

Hall of Fame
If you are a Trump supporter
What has Trump done that you think is just great?​

He shocked the system, upended the apple cart, flipped over the table.
He destroyed the political power structure in America.
Where did Jeb! get the 100 million dollars for his primary campaign? Where did Hillary get the BILLION dollars she spent?
A lot of people got ripped off and I think that's hilarious.
The people spoke and they didn't say what they were supposed to say, nobody saw this coming.
It warms the cockles of my heart that the American people did something different for a change.

What would it take for you to change your mind about Trump being a good president?
Wearing Crocs in public.​

fool

Hall of Fame
What, if anything, should be done about Syria? Do you support or oppose what Trump has done thus far?
Yes.
What, if anything, should be done about North Korea?
Bomb them into the stone age.

Do you support the dropping of the M.O.A.B bomb in Afghanistan?
You realize that's just a big can full of explosives right?
How is that different than a bunch of smaller cans of explosives?

1. Is NATO obsolete?
Not if they help pay the freight, which they haven't been doing.

2. Is China a currency manipulator?
Aren't we all?

3. Should he support the U.S. Export-Import Bank?
I don't know what that is.

4. What should our relationship with Russia look like?
We have NATO so that Europe can feel safe from the boogieman Russia that they buy 45% of their energy from. I say let Europe pay for the missile shield along their border with Russia and we'll pay for one at our border with Russia. Then we'll have Russia trapped in a pincer movement.

5. Is our military in shambles?
Shambles is a relative term.

6. Should Janet Yellen be nominated to second term as fed chair?
Only if she keeps her voice down.

7. What should be done with Obamacare and what should replace it?
Single payer

8. What's up with the border wall? It Mexico paying for it?
Ask Mexico.

9. Is Trump going to deport more illegal immigrants than Obama?
I think that would be a yes.

10. Does torture work?
Doesn't hurt.

11. Should Hilary be "locked up"?
That's up to a jury to decide.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Nobody cares.

Well, I know you don't.

But a lot of people do care. Trump didn't have a mandate by any stretch of his imagination, although he and his supporters sure try hard enough.

We also care enough about this country to be concerned that a madman is at the wheel. All you seem to care about is if he makes awesome donuts in the mud.

Status
Not open for further replies.