My convictions of my faith in Christ.

eider

I didn't say anything wrong or not true. I have been reasoning with scripture. I have been defending my beliefs that marhig went against.

I'm cool with both of you..... honest!
That issue is a really difficult one, because the gospels send messages that look as if they contradict each other. You know what I mean. One minute the disciples are asked to sell personal gear and arm up, another minute I see pacifist quotes. It's difficult.

My Father's next door neighbour was a fisherman and lay preacher (WW2) and conscientiously objected to fighting, so he was allowed to carry on fishing through the war. He saved several airmen out of the sea, pilots from both sides, and got machine gunned a couple of times. Another objector who would not fight was a red cross operative and did so many brave deeds.

Me? I'mn a great believer in reducing conflict where possible. In my last years I was a security industries trainer and one of my subjects was conflict reduction and management, but sometimes.... sometimes it just doesn't work.

I get the feeling that both Marhig and I would do more than just struggle to protect our loved ones and homes.

I do believe in a military force, if it is used as a police force against international criminals, which would include an invading army.

God's Truth

I'm cool with both of you..... honest!
I’m glad to hear that.

That issue is a really difficult one, because the gospels send messages that look as if they contradict each other. You know what I mean. One minute the disciples are asked to sell personal gear and arm up, another minute I see pacifist quotes. It's difficult.
I don’t think it contradicts. Jesus didn’t want his disciples fighting the establishment with swords. That has nothing to do with having police and soldiers to defend cities and countries.

My Father's next door neighbour was a fisherman and lay preacher (WW2) and conscientiously objected to fighting, so he was allowed to carry on fishing through the war. He saved several airmen out of the sea, pilots from both sides, and got machine gunned a couple of times. Another objector who would not fight was a red cross operative and did so many brave deeds.

Me? I'mn a great believer in reducing conflict where possible. In my last years I was a security industries trainer and one of my subjects was conflict reduction and management, but sometimes.... sometimes it just doesn't work.

I get the feeling that both Marhig and I would do more than just struggle to protect our loved ones and homes.

I do believe in a military force, if it is used as a police force against international criminals, which would include an invading army.
It sounds as if we are in agreement. You have a lot of knowledge about defending people from dangerous people. I understand that your father’s neighbor was a preacher and was not there to protect; I understand how the Red Cross is not there to protect, but some people do get forceful/violent to protect others and themselves. I don’t know how marhig doesn’t get how it is a set up ordained by God. I also don’t get how she believes those who may have to use force should not be Christians.

eider

I’m glad to hear that.

I don’t think it contradicts. Jesus didn’t want his disciples fighting the establishment with swords. That has nothing to do with having police and soldiers to defend cities and countries.

It sounds as if we are in agreement. You have a lot of knowledge about defending people from dangerous people. I understand that your father’s neighbor was a preacher and was not there to protect; I understand how the Red Cross is not there to protect, but some people do get forceful/violent to protect others and themselves. I don’t know how marhig doesn’t get how it is a set up ordained by God. I also don’t get how she believes those who may have to use force should not be Christians.

Fair enough to all of the above.
Some Christians are conscientious objectors. I know several JWs and some Quakers who would not ever use violence.
If I was pushed I would state thus:- 'If a person comes to rob you, you have a duty to stop them, because if you do not they will think that robbery is easy and do it to somebody else, and then again....'

God's Truth

Fair enough to all of the above.
Some Christians are conscientious objectors. I know several JWs and some Quakers who would not ever use violence.
I think there are some denominations who do not understand the Bible on that issue so they do what they think it says. I just don't like it when someone says it is wrong to be a Christian and be an armed police officer or soldier who is trained to protect others. Marhig is against someone making a living off of protecting others but she would do it for her own family.
If I was pushed I would state thus:- 'If a person comes to rob you, you have a duty to stop them, because if you do not they will think that robbery is easy and do it to somebody else, and then again....'

I think I would let someone just rob me and not resist them, they might kill you if you resist. I definitely see what you mean though, it no one puts up any kind of fight it would be pretty easy robberies out there.

eider

I think there are some denominations who do not understand the Bible on that issue so they do what they think it says. I just don't like it when someone says it is wrong to be a Christian and be an armed police officer or soldier who is trained to protect others. Marhig is against someone making a living off of protecting others but she would do it for her own family.
In our multi-cultural country I am a great believer in compromise and flexibility. I have friends who are Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, Protestant, Catholic, Social Christian (!), and mostly Agnostic, and I would not confront any of them over their beliefs.... that's what living in a cosmopolitan society is all about.

I think I would let someone just rob me and not resist them, they might kill you if you resist. I definitely see what you mean though, it no one puts up any kind of fight it would be pretty easy robberies out there.
You were very diplomatic! :)
My idea was rubbish. How about:- If a person feels that they can safely stop a robber or thief then they should, in order to put the criminal off the idea of continuing such crimes, but if in doubt it is best to throw down the watch, wallet, whatever... and step back, because 'things' can be replaced, but a life cannot'.

God's Truth

In our multi-cultural country I am a great believer in compromise and flexibility. I have friends who are Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, Protestant, Catholic, Social Christian (!), and mostly Agnostic, and I would not confront any of them over their beliefs.... that's what living in a cosmopolitan society is all about.

I have spoke up to some people in person about their beliefs. It hasn't gone over to well. I do want to say that I am thankful that there were people who spoke up to me when I got involved in a false denomination. I am not sure where I would be now if they had not. I didn't go into their denomination, but I surely needed to hear that what I was in was wrong. I also am thankful that I did not speak rudely to the people who went against my denomination, for one must be humble to be saved.

You were very diplomatic! :)
My idea was rubbish. How about:- If a person feels that they can safely stop a robber or thief then they should, in order to put the criminal off the idea of continuing such crimes, but if in doubt it is best to throw down the watch, wallet, whatever... and step back, because 'things' can be replaced, but a life cannot'.
I think a man would size up the situation and definitely not let someone just rob them.

meshak

BANNED
Banned

That's fine for secular people. But Christians are Jesus' followers. We have responsibility to spread what Jesus teaches.

blessings.

marhig

Why do you use the hypothetical "if" ( if a man came into...) It must be because you think that the Almighty wishes to bring evil upon you. Do you think, for a single second, that a weapon could protect you or your family if He did?

You have a dread or fear of evil and the scripture says, "What the wicked dreads will come to him,"...

I'm being hypothetical to explain what I'm trying to say.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Truster

I'm being hypothetical to explain what I'm trying to say.

Trying to say? Are you suggesting that your ability to explain is lacking or the ability of the readers to understand is lacking. Rhetorical? "If" in the hypothetical sense has no place in reality nor the expounding of truth. "if" in the hypothetical sense is the opening word in a fiction. The regenerate love truth and hate fiction.

marhig

Trying to say? Are you suggesting that your ability to explain is lacking or the ability of the readers to understand is lacking. Rhetorical? "If" in the hypothetical sense has no place in reality nor the expounding of truth. "if" in the hypothetical sense is the opening word in a fiction. The regenerate love truth and hate fiction.

You seem like you just like to pick at others.

I'm trying to explain the difference in defence of others at a moment when we are in a situation that calls for it and learning to kill and taking up arms to murder. They are totally different, and I believe that those belonging to God shouldn't take part in the training and baring of arms to kill.

marhig

Ah ha! You're a Brit? I'm in Kent. Which is your county?
I was in Guildford, Surrey, when the Guildford Pub Bomb exploded, I lived in Austin Road, and was walking into the City and felt the blast, heard the explosion. We certainly learned how Christians can hate Christians back then.

I went over to Belfast back in 2003 and wandered around the Falls Road area, photographing the Murals. The utmost hero down there was Bobby Sands, and his ultimate fight was a hunger strike to death. So he lived up to your beliefs whilst making his stand for his justice.

I do like reading your posts......

Hello, yes I'm a Brit I'm Welsh! :)

I've seen first hand what hatred can do, and at times I've lived among it.

My mum was brought up before the troubles, when Catholics and Protestants mixed well. She left Ireland before they started and she has never had that hardness in her and she's brought us up to be the same. She has friends and relatives on both sides of the divide and I care for all of them. And there are kind hearted people on both sides.

I have seen many things, and I was nearly blown up as a child. I had been shopping with my mum in Belfast City center, and we were in a shop, we walked out and as we walked away it exploded. I was only about 4 years old, but I can remember looking back and seeing a huge cloud in the sky behind me and my mum grabbing me and running. I've seen many things, and I suppose this has made me realise that hardness and hatred is not the way, love is.

marhig

Well said! :)
Police Constable Keith Palmer, guarding a main entrance to the Houses of Parliament, London, went forward unarmed, to stop an armed terrorist. Most sadly he died from the injuries that he received.

I would not wish for anybody to run to their deaths, but a true Christian would not fear death, surely? I once read that a true Christian would love the person who sent them on to heaven..... quote an interesting mindset, I think?

That was awful wasn't it? PC Palmer, was very brave in what he did. I feel for his family.

I'm not against the police or soldiers, I just believe that those born of God have a purpose, and that is to bring the love and word of God to others. I don't believe that we should take up arms and train to kill. I don't remember Jesus telling any of his disciples to do this, but rather to turn from violence and hurting one another and show the love of God in our lives, he taught us to have mercy and forgiveness and taught us to love one another even if we are hated and he taught us how to overcome evil with good. But, we can't do it without the Holy Spirit giving us the strength to do so.

Have you ever seen hacksaw ridge? I saw the name of the film, and I thought there was no way that I would I watch that, but don't look at the name, it's the true story of Desmond Doss. I was amazed by his faith in God and what happened to him. God was definitely with him with what he went through. Some things are hard to watch in it, but what God brought him through was amazing!

God's Truth

God took their life, why?

God gives life and God has the right to take it again. We don't!

God says that man puts people to death because we are like Him!

King James 2000 Bible
Whoever sheds man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

marhig

God says that man puts people to death because we are like Him!

King James 2000 Bible
Whoever sheds man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

I thought you didn't want to talk about it anymore?

And I thought you said that the old covenant is gone now and we are entered into the new? Where does Jesus teach us that we are to take the life of another?

And it also says this in the Bible kjv

Romans 12

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.