ECT The Purpose of Repentance Beginning With John the Baptist

God's Truth

This passage is speaking about men being judged according to their works or deeds alone:

"But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God; Who will render to every man according to his deeds" (Ro.2:5-6).​

And then later Paul makes it plain that no one is saved in that way:

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" (Ro.3:23).​

But you do your best and you might be the first.

What don't you get about GOD DOESN'T show favoritism.

Paul is speaking to believers and warning them.

Jerry Shugart

What don't you get about GOD DOESN'T show favoritism.

When have I ever said anything about favoritism?

Paul is speaking to believers and warning them.

No, he is speaking about how judgment works according to man's deeds or works:

"But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God; Who will render to every man according to his deeds"
(Ro.2:5-6).​

Since all have sinned and come short of the glory of God then if anyone is going to be saved it must be on the principle of grace. And those who believe receive eternal life and will not be judged in regard to salvation, as witnessed by the words of the Savior here:

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).​

God's Truth

When have I ever said anything about favoritism?
You are saying that all we have to do is believe to be saved.
Paul is telling those who believe that if they have not repented then they will face God’s wrath.
God does not show favoritism. That means if you believe and did not repent---then you are not saved. We who are saved are saved from God’s wrath. If you are not saved from God’s wrath then you are not saved from anything.

Romans 5:9 Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him!

1 Thessalonians 1:10
and to await His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead--Jesus our deliverer from the coming wrath.

Jerry Shugart

Romans 5:9 Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him!

Yes, it is because of the Lord Jesus' death that a person can be justified in the eyes of God. And it is also true that it is by believing and nothing else whereby a person can likewise be justified in His sight:

"Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law"
(Ro.3:28).​

Please notice that it doesn't say, "a man is justified by faith and by his obedience."

God's Truth

Yes, it is because of the Lord Jesus' death that a person can be justified in the eyes of God. And it is also true that it is by believing and nothing else whereby a person can likewise be justified in His sight:

"Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law"
(Ro.3:28).​

Please notice that it doesn't say, "a man is justified by faith and by his obedience."

Peter and James call people who don't get what Paul says "fools", "ignorant", "insane". See 2 Peter 3:16, 17, and James 2:14, 17, 20, 22, and 24.

Do you want to explain to me why people are called FOOLS, IGNORANT, and INSANE?

Jerry Shugart

Peter and James call people who don't get what Paul says "fools", "ignorant", "insane". See 2 Peter 3:16, 17, and James 2:14, 17, 20, 22, and 24.

Here James says that a person is born of God by the word of truth:

"Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures"
(Jas.1:18).​

I do not understand how anyone would dare assert that it takes something other than faith in the word of truth in order to be born of God. And here we see that Peter tells us how a person is born again, and it matches what James said:

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God...And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you" (1 Pet.1:23,25).​

Do you want to explain to me why people are called FOOLS, IGNORANT, and INSANE?

You are a fool for the same reason why Paul called some fools because, like you, they thought that they must do things other than believe in order to be made perfect:

"O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?" (Gal.3:1-3).​

The sad thing about you is that you have been shown these things more than once. Therefore you will have no excuse for denying the "gospel of grace" in the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to that gospel.

God's Truth

Here James says that a person is born of God by the word of truth:

"Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures"
(Jas.1:18).​

I do not understand how anyone would dare assert that it takes something other than faith in the word of truth in order to be born of God. And here we see that Peter tells us how a person is born again, and it matches what James said:

You do not understand it but many scriptures say it.

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God...And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you" (1 Pet.1:23,25).​

You are a fool for the same reason why Paul called some fools because, like you, they thought that they must do things other than believe in order to be made perfect:

So you are not going to tell me why James calls people fools and why Peter calls them ignorant and insane? I know why but you need to look into it. Let's start with Peter.

"O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?" (Gal.3:1-3).​

The sad thing about you is that you have been shown these things more than once. Therefore you will have no excuse for denying the "gospel of grace" in the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to that gospel.

Paul doesn't tell the Galatians they are obeying Jesus too much.

Jerry Shugart

You do not understand it but many scriptures say it.

Since what both James and Peter said about how a person is born of God has no place in your heart you are incapable of understanding spiritual things, especially those things which are given freely to true believers:

"For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God" (1 Cor.2:11-12).​

God's Truth

Since what both James and Peter said about how a person is born of God has no place in your heart you are incapable of understanding spiritual things, especially those things which are given freely to true believers:

"For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God" (1 Cor.2:11-12).​

We are not given the Holy Spirit unless we obey.

God's Truth

We are not given the Spirit until we obey the Gospel (believing unto righteousness). Romans 10:10KJV

The Gospel is NOT do nothing but believe.

You give a scripture that says to confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and then you will be saved...what does Jesus explain to you about confessing with your mouth that he is Lord? He tells you that if you do that, if you confess with your mouth that he is Lord, then you had better be obeying him, Luke 6:46.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Gospel is NOT do nothing but believe.

You give a scripture that says to confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and then you will be saved...what does Jesus explain to you about confessing with your mouth that he is Lord? He tells you that if you do that, if you confess with your mouth that he is Lord, then you had better be obeying him, Luke 6:46.
What is you do not get about the obedience and righteousness of one, not two?

God's Truth

What is you do not get about the obedience and righteousness of one, not two?

Jesus obeyed and he also taught. You want to do away with all the words he taught and you want to only do one...believe.

We have to do more than believe. We cannot do away with all the other things the Word of God says.

Jerry Shugart

We are not given the Holy Spirit unless we obey.

Paul: "Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?"

God's Truth: "By the works of the law."

Put on your dunce cap ans sit in the corner you incorrigible child.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/fool-sitting-corner-wearing-dunce-cap-20515526

God's Truth

Paul: "Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?"

God's Truth: "By the works of the law."

Put on your dunce cap ans sit in the corner you incorrigible child.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/fool-sitting-corner-wearing-dunce-cap-20515526

Stop putting into quotes things that I did not say as if I said them.

You see why you do not have understanding?

You speak of things that are not true as if they were.

There is a NEW LAW.

You must follow the new law.