The Theory of God's [lack of] Omniscience

Ninjashadow

Originally posted by Knight

Again... you are not actually answering the question. In essence you are saying the future exists in the future which is not an answer.

Think of it this way....

If God can "see" the future or go into the future, that future (or vision of the future) must exist somewhere, like in God's mind or in some celestial movie theatre with really great popcorn. :D

The ever passing moment exists right now!

And.....

The past exists in our minds to the extent we can remember it and the past exists in God's mind to the extent He wants to remember it.

So......

Where does the future exist?

The future exists within time, just like now does and just like the past does.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ninjashadow

A is the beginning of time, Z is the end of time. We are in, let's say, P. So the future is Q-Z.

I now suspect Knight is banging his head on his keyboard.

Ninjashadow

Originally posted by Poly

I now suspect Knight is banging his head on his keyboard.

[Shhh...that's my point]

Ok, I don't know where the future exists, other than ahead of us. All I've been getting at, as I have said several times, is "is it possible for the future to exist?"

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

[Shhh...that's my point]

Ok, I don't know where the future exists, other than ahead of us. All I've been getting at, as I have said several times, is "is it possible for the future to exist?"
You talk as if you think "time" exists somewhere.

Where does "time" exist?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Are you trying to say that the only "time" that exists is the here and now?
The ever passing moment is the only part of time that exists in reality.

The past only exists in our (and God's) mind.

And the future doesn't exist anywhere.

Can you help compel me think otherwise?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

[Shhh...that's my point]

I have the feeling you are thinking to hard and making simple concepts far more mysterious than they need to be. I believe that God really does intend to be known by man and that when we meet him face to face the response of those who simply read his word and simply believe will, for the most part, be OH! of coarse!

godrulz

Hall of Fame

The future exists within time, just like now does and just like the past does.

Time is not space nor a place. The timeline analogy is flawed. Time is unidirectional moving from the potential future through the present into the fixed past. Time is not a thing!

godrulz

Hall of Fame

A is the beginning of time, Z is the end of time. We are in, let's say, P. So the future is Q-Z.

Time is sequence/duration/succession. Q-Z exists potentially, but not in actuality yet.

Ninjashadow

Originally posted by godrulz

Time is sequence/duration/succession. Q-Z exists potentially, but not in actuality yet.

Ok, yes, that's a good point. So Revelation is merely a plan of God's? One that He will carry out word for word, yet is not actually in the future?

godrulz

Hall of Fame

Ok, yes, that's a good point. So Revelation is merely a plan of God's? One that He will carry out word for word, yet is not actually in the future?

Revelation is apocalyptic literature. It is a vision or picture of the future. This does not mean that the events have come to pass or exist in reality yet. Revelation is general in many points. The exact, minute details are not revealed and are not necessary for the big picture. Some prophecy is conditional or declarative/forthtelling. Revelation is predictive/foretelling.

This yet future picture is knowable, because God will bring much of it to pass (plan). He purposes to judge the earth and has the power and sovereignty to do so. He controls the outpouring of wrath. Our choices cannot stop it. He will return. He will judge at the Great White Throne. He will introduce a new heaven and earth. He can orchestrate events leading up to the end to ensure fulfillment. The preterist view that Revelation is already historically fulfilled is not defensible.

Rev. 1:19 is the key to interpretation:

what you have seen= Rev. 1

what is now= Rev. 2;3 historical churches at John's time

what will take place later= Rev. 4-22 this is a picture of the future that has not happened yet. Reading contemporary events back into Revelation is speculative and relies on an allegorical vs literal method of Bible interpretation.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
ninjashadow-
You can delete your own posts now, instead of just editing them. At least in most of the places on TOL.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
When you go to the edit page, there is a box at the top that allows you to delete the message.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lighthouse

ninjashadow-
You can delete your own posts now, instead of just editing them. At least in most of the places on TOL.
but if you delete it it won't add to your post count:D