The Theory of God's [lack of] Omniscience

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by ninjashadow

Of course He isn't, but we can only comrehend God on a very small level, but on a God level that we cannot possibly understand, could it be possible?
You are missing the point...

If God chooses not to know the future why would He want to know the future?

Ninjashadow

Originally posted by Knight

You are missing the point...

If God chooses not to know the future why would He want to know the future?

From a human standpoint, yes that definately seems illogical, I have no doubt about that, but what I'm saying is that is it even a little possible that perhaps God has a logic which humans cannot possibly understand?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

From a human standpoint, yes that definately seems illogical, I have no doubt about that, but what I'm saying is that is it even a little possible that perhaps God has a logic which humans cannot possibly understand?
Well I think at this point we are simply going around in circles.

I believe that God sovereignly chose not to know the future, therefore knowing the future would only complicate His intention to NOT know the future.

I doubt that God likes to defeat His own purposes.

Ninjashadow

Well I think at this point we are simply going around in circles.

I believe that God sovereignly chose not to know the future, therefore knowing the future would only complicate His intention to NOT know the future.

I doubt that God likes to defeat His own purposes.

Again, I agree, and I also agree with your previous statement that God has power over His powers, but I guess what I have a problem with is that I feel that as humans we cannot truly understand what God can and cannot do.
Yes, he cannot sin and so forth, but we can't really know everything that he can do.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I feel that as humans we cannot truly understand what God can and cannot do.
True, but I see no reason to apply that concept within this very specific topic i.e., God CHOOSING not to know the future.

If God chooses to not know something..... why would He not get the outcome of His choice?

Ninjashadow

True, but I see no reason to apply that concept within this very specific topic i.e., God CHOOSING not to know the future.

If God chooses to not know something..... why would He not get the outcome of His choice?

I don't know, but I don't know how God thinks and what he can and cannot do.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

I don't know, but I don't know how God thinks and what he can and cannot do.
Have you considered that it isn't that God can't both know and not know the future..... but that God doesn't want to both know and not know the future?

Ninjashadow

Have you considered that it isn't that God can't both know and not know the future..... but that God doesn't want to both know and not know the future?

Ok, I can go with that. My point was that is it possible for God to both allow free will and know the future? Whether he does or not was not my question, really. If I did not state my question clearly enough, I apologize.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Ok, I can go with that. My point was that is it possible for God to both allow free will and know the future?
Personally... I do not think that is possible but I realize that might be a hang up for you.
Whether he does or not was not my question, really. If I did not state my question clearly enough, I apologize.
No problem, I enjoy discussing this with you.

Ninjashadow

Personally... I do not think that is possible but I realize that might be a hang up for you. No problem, I enjoy discussing this with you.

It sort of is because I don't know the true powers of God. I agree, as I have stated, that I agree with you, but I still am not sure whether the possiblity remains or not.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

God cannot chose to not know something knowable. The only way He 'choses' to not know something is by creating free moral agents and contingencies. The nature of a free creation precludes knowing choices as a certainty before they come into existence.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

Ok, I can go with that. My point was that is it possible for God to both allow free will and know the future? Whether he does or not was not my question, really. If I did not state my question clearly enough, I apologize.

Some things are logical contradictions or absurdities. Exhaustive foreknowledge of future free will contingencies is an absurdity. Just as absurd, contradictory things do not limit God's omnipotence (e.g. creating a rock so heavy he cannot lift it), so absurdities do not limit God's omniscience. Some things are known and done by God that man cannot possibly know or do. Yet, there are some things that are not even knowable or doable for God because of the nature of reality and His creation.

Ninjashadow

Hey Knight,
I found that Thomas Aquinas has said that God can only do what's possible. So that would suggest that you are right and could could not both know the future and still allow humans to have free will. Although, now that I think of it, Mark 10:27b says, "All things are possible with God." So maybe God can both know the future and still allow humans free will.

I'm not changing my stance, I still think that it is likely that God chooses not to know the future, but I still kind of think that he COULD, if he chose to.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I'm not changing my stance, I still think that it is likely that God chooses not to know the future, but I still kind of think that he COULD, if he chose to.
Of coarse he could choose to know the future, by choosing to controal the future!

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Hey Knight,
I found that Thomas Aquinas has said that God can only do what's possible. So that would suggest that you are right
It took Thomas Aquinas to convince you???? :D

Although, now that I think of it, Mark 10:27b says, "All things are possible with God."
And I would say that the verse means.... all things that are possible are possible for God.

In other words... many things that are immpossible for us humans i.e., creating matter, healing leapors, making the dead rise etc. are possible for God but not us.

Ninjashadow

It took Thomas Aquinas to convince you???? :D

And I would say that the verse means.... all things that are possible are possible for God.

No, just making an observation. You had already done that for the most part.

In other words... many things that are immpossible for us humans i.e., creating matter, healing leapors, making the dead rise etc. are possible for God but not us.

I agree, but who's to say what's impossible for God outside of what the bible says, i.e., sin, lying, being evil, etc? What I'm getting at is that fact that it might not be impossible for God to know the future and allow free will at the same time.

godrulz

Hall of Fame

No, just making an observation. You had already done that for the most part.

I agree, but who's to say what's impossible for God outside of what the bible says, i.e., sin, lying, being evil, etc? What I'm getting at is that fact that it might not be impossible for God to know the future and allow free will at the same time.

This is still a logical contradiction/absurdity, even for God.

Ninjashadow

Originally posted by godrulz

This is still a logical contradiction/absurdity, even for God.

Most likely, but it seems within the realm of possibility for God to know the future but still allow free will.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Most likely, but it seems within the realm of possibility for God to know the future but still allow free will.
God doesn't want to know the future.

He wants to create a true uncoerced love between Him and those that want to love Him back.

Knowing the future (even if possible) would defeat His purpose.