Marijuana

drRansom

Originally posted by LivingDeadDoll

drRansom-

What do you conclude from that excerpt?

I simply posted the excerpt to pique interest. Do you mean what do I think of the article as a whole?

I pretty much think Harry Browne hit it on the head. I have to agree with him. Before these various psychotropes were outlawed, America didn't have a massive drug problem. You have a war on drugs; drug abuse escalates. War on crime; crime escalates. War on poverty; more poverty. And in a similar vein, we have a war on terror today; we're only going to see more terror.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I can't say that the Bible says anything about it, but I see no problem withe the legalization for medicinal purposes.

As far as the alcohol thing goes, I think the age should be lowered to 18. If they can vote, and die for the country, they should be allowed to drink.

firechyld

Dr ransom:

I read that article, and I couldn't agree with you more. So many of the problems surrounding drug culture can be directly sourced to the "war on drugs".

lighthouse:

As far as the alcohol thing goes, I think the age should be lowered to 18. If they can vote, and die for the country, they should be allowed to drink.

The legal drinking age down here is 18, and has been for a very long time. It's the age you become an adult, and receive all the rights and responsibilities associated with that label.

Most people I've spoken to about it find the staggering of the age of adulthood in the US rather odd.

elohiym

Originally posted by LivingDeadDoll

I must say that i am extremely curious about marijuana use and what the bible has to say, if anyone is knowledgable in this area please comment on that effect...
God created the hemp plant, along with every "herb yielding seed after his kind..." According to God, the hemp was good.

Genesis 1:12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

God instructed man to use the herbs as food. He gave those herbs to mankind to be consumed, and put no restrictions on how the herbs could be used.

Genesis 1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat (food).

God gave the herbs "for the service of man."

Psalms 104:14 He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth.

Paul talks about doctrines of devils, one of which was commanding to abstain from certain foods. A command to abstain from hemp would clearly be a doctrine of devils, as hemp was created, like all herbs, to be received with thanksgiving. Note Paul's choice of words, and how it ties into Genesis.

1 Timothy 4:1-5 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats (foods), which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. For every creature (created thing) of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

Finally, Jesus states that nothing one puts in their mouth defiles them...

Mark 7:15 There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

Mr Jack

Wow. I never expected the folks round here to be so balanced on this issue.

If I ran the world marijuana would be legal, and taxed, like alcohol. Although it is harmful if taken in large quantities and can trigger psychosis in those already susceptible, for the vast majority of people who take, or have taken it, doing a little dope is a pleasant and harmless experience.

I don't believe there's any evidence of marijuana as a gateway drug. In Britain today something like 45% of 18-25 year olds have tried marijuana on one or more occasions. The number that have taken anything else is far smaller.

On Fire

I know a crack head. He's in jail for the 5th or 6th time. His life is in ruins. He's also a believer.

LivingDeadDoll

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
elohiym - thank you for that bible realated post, my curiosity was killing me.

Mr Jack - even though i am new here, i must say i was unsure of how everyone would react to this issue myself. i too was surprised that everyone has the veiws that they do.

drRansom - I have to say i have not thought about what you said before, but i have to agree. Pressure on an issue does seem to cause the issue to grow.

lighthouse - yes the age of 18 does come with so many other responsibilities, one would think that drinking would be included on the list along side defending our country. If you did a poll of highschool kids i am quite sure you would find that most of them do drink already on occassion.

So is everyone familiar with how marijuana became illegal in the first place? It's almost amusing.

LivingDeadDoll

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
One would think that if your are deemed "responsible" enough to defend you country or have a say in who its leaders are (not that voting really matters he he), that they would also think you were responsible enough to handle alcohol. I hate to think that they would trust a group of young men overseas with guns and explosives, and trust that they do as they are given responsibility to do, if they don't even trust that they have enough common sense to drink responsibly. Sounds a little messed up to me, unless you think that maybe responsibility isn't the issue behind the age for legal consumption of alcohol. I mean, maybe i am missing their point all together. But i assume that responsibility is the issue.

LivingDeadDoll

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
one eyed jack - do you know where the whole "reefer madness" thing came from?

( My favorite little oldie is the one where the man and woman are smoking dope and someone knocks on the door, the guy goes to open it and a man walks in, the guy who has been smoking dope looks at him and says " i know what you want...you want to kill me" and then proceeds to blugeon him. Like weed makes you psycho and violent or something. that one is SO funny to me, have you ever seen anyone that has just smoked a joint even have the motivation to answer the door much less bludgeon a person to death! lol)

LivingDeadDoll

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Harry Anslinger "Father of the Drug War, he was the first Commissioner of the U.S. Bureau of Narcotics when Hoover was president. I'll find a good link to some info, i could explain it but it would take forever as i am a bit longwinded on the subject. But if you ever have the opportunity, you should see the movie called "Grass"
it is very educational about the prohibition and Anslinger and Reefer Madness" and it shows how many TRILLIONS of dollars we spend each year because marijuana is illegal. It's full of information. It's narrated by Woody Harrelson. Well worth a movie rental fee or even if you buy it, it's worth every penny. (or you could download it)

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by elohiym

God created the hemp plant, along with every "herb yielding seed after his kind..." According to God, the hemp was good.

Genesis 1:12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

God instructed man to use the herbs as food. He gave those herbs to mankind to be consumed, and put no restrictions on how the herbs could be used.

Genesis 1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat (food).

God gave the herbs "for the service of man."

Psalms 104:14 He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth.

Paul talks about doctrines of devils, one of which was commanding to abstain from certain foods. A command to abstain from hemp would clearly be a doctrine of devils, as hemp was created, like all herbs, to be received with thanksgiving. Note Paul's choice of words, and how it ties into Genesis.

1 Timothy 4:1-5 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats (foods), which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. For every creature (created thing) of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

Finally, Jesus states that nothing one puts in their mouth defiles them...

Mark 7:15 There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.
Likewise, one could could wrongly use these verses to justify drunkeness.