Shame and Blame in America

SOTK

Originally posted by granite1010
Other than that, no skin off my nose.

In other words, you're passionless. That's a pretty poor attitude, granite. In fact, it's this attitude or sickness which is causing our country to go down the drain.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I'm sorry, Poly, but what exactly provoked this?

You seem to have the attitude "Whatever floats your boat". I thought of one of the most tragic sitations where that sort of attitude would be really sad.

C

cattyfan

Originally posted by PureX

If someone thinks they did something wrong, they will naturally regret it. If they don't regret it, they probably don't really think it was wrong.

I think what's bothering you and Berta is that other people don't regret doing things that YOU feel are wrong. But you have to accept that no one has placed you in charge of what other people should feel is wrong, or what other people should regret having done. Once you finally accept this, it won't bother you so much that other people don't believe that the same things are wrong as you do, and so will not regret doing them.

some of what's in the article, though, are not thiings that should be debatable based on someone's beliefs. Like when a kid misbehaves in school and parents defend the kid instead of siding with the teacher. Or when someone commits a crime then seeks to find an excuse for their behavior. Those actions are clearly breaking rules and laws, and yes, I think people SHOULD regret doing those things.

The question is, why don't you?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SOTK

In other words, you're passionless. That's a pretty poor attitude, granite. In fact, it's this attitude or sickness which is causing our country to go down the drain.

I think my comments were misconstrued and more than one person went off the deep end in responding to them.

For one thing: since when do you need a reference manual, as it were, to condemn such things as murder and rape? I'm sorry, but if Christians think everyone needs a hand spelling out what's "right" or "wrong," you need a reality check. The law is written on our hearts, is it not?

The first rule, as the old medical adage goes, is to first do no harm. That's really all I meant and if I wasn't clear, I apologize. As far as I'm concerned the attitude revealed in the opening article is outdated and fairly uptight. People get divorced. Teenagers sleep together. Such things do not change my world, rock my reality, or what have you. It's the way things are and everyone should quit acting as though the solution's a rewound clock set to 1951.

The hysteria, anger, and fury unleashed when I suggested people should live and let live just shows the immaturity of some folks as opposed to the rotten ole callous heart of granite, as far as I'm concerned.

On Fire

People get divorced. Teenagers sleep together. Such things do not change my world, rock my reality, or what have you.

You actually believe that?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by On Fire

You actually believe that?

No, OF, I make this stuff up. I don't "actually" believe ANYTHING I take the time to write on TOL. I'm actually a monk in Greenland with way too much free time on my hands.

PureX

Originally posted by cattyfan I think people SHOULD regret doing those things.

The question is, why don't you?
Becaise I know that people are free to be idiots. I don't like idiots, either. But I didn't create the universe - so the universe isn't about what I like. I may as well get over the selfish idea that everyone should be a righteous genuis like me. And maybe I should consider the possibility that there's a good reason that they aren't!

C

cattyfan

Originally posted by PureX

Becaise I know that people are free to be idiots. I don't like idiots, either. But I didn't create the universe - so the universe isn't about what I like. I may as well get over the selfish idea that everyone should be a righteous genuis like me. And maybe I should consider the possibility that there's a good reason that they aren't!

I think you missed the point of the article.

Yes, people are free to be idiots, but there used to be fewer idiots in the world. A higher percentage of people used to have a better understanding of right and wrong and a higher percentage of people used to be able to admit when they had committed a wrong instead of looking for someplace else to put the blame.

When there was more personal responsibility, the world was a better place. That's an accurate statement.

Last edited:

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

People get divorced. Teenagers sleep together. Such things do not change my world, rock my reality, or what have you.

Well, as long as it doesn't concern you, that's all that matters right? Forget about the sad little girl who cries herself to sleep wishing that her mommy and daddy were still together. Forget about the little boy who is always wondering what it must be like to actually have a daddy. As long as none of this is rocking granite's world, that's really all that matters.

C

cattyfan

Originally posted by Poly

Forget about the sad little girl who cries herself to sleep wishing that her mommy and daddy were still together. Forget about the little boy who is always wondering what it must be like to actually have a daddy.

the ones I worry about are the ones who are raised thinking divorced parents or single parents are the standard or norm.

wickwoman

Dear Cattyfan:

In response to your question re what to do when you do something wrong: With my own personal behavior, I realize it, attempt not to dwell on it, attempt to prevent it in the future. The author seems to think stigmas of society are helpful and useful. Acceptance of responsibility does not come from without, it comes from within.

C

cattyfan

but you don't have it within unless you've been taught it from without. People don't just intrinsically know right from wrong. If they did, we wouldn't have a problem.

wickwoman

Teaching children to be kind and to love one another is a good start.

As for the divorce issue, I don't see it as a problem. In the past, the idea of getting a divorce was reprehensible. So people lived unhappily in unbearable situations, even putting up with abuse. Now, if you've grown out of a relationship, a divorce is an easy deal. Who says you have to stay married to someone for all eternity? Why is it bad to change if both persons are unhappy? We do not have to cling to outmoded ideas if they do not suit us any more. Now that we aren't stigmatized, we can make decisions based on what we want and not based on whose going to ostracize us from society. Nobody does anyone a favor by being good just because the reward for bad behavior is to be frowned upon and looked down upon by our piers. That's a half hearted attempt at goodness. People of the past weren't any better than the people of today.

Eowyn

Proverbs 4:11-13
LIFETIME MEMBER
Originally posted by wickwoman

Teaching children to be kind and to love one another is a good start.

As for the divorce issue, I don't see it as a problem. In the past, the idea of getting a divorce was reprehensible. So people lived unhappily in unbearable situations, even putting up with abuse. Now, if you've grown out of a relationship, a divorce is an easy deal. Who says you have to stay married to someone for all eternity? Why is it bad to change if both persons are unhappy? We do not have to cling to outmoded ideas if they do not suit us any more.

What a sad world view :cry:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Poly

Well, as long as it doesn't concern you, that's all that matters right? Forget about the sad little girl who cries herself to sleep wishing that her mommy and daddy were still together. Forget about the little boy who is always wondering what it must be like to actually have a daddy. As long as none of this is rocking granite's world, that's really all that matters.

:yawn:

I didn't say that, Poly, as you very well know. I did not say I'm an advocate of divorce. I think people rush into things and then realize--too late--that they made a mistake, whether it's marriage OR divorce.

I was saying that the REALITY of divorce doesn't change the way I live. My best friend's parents split after twenty years of marriage. His father was unfaithful. This was upsetting but the reality of divorce at least allowed his mother to get out of a bad situation.

PureX

Originally posted by cattyfan

I think you missed the point of the article.

Yes, people are free to be idiots, but there used to be fewer idiots in the world. A higher percentage of people used to have a better understanding of right and wrong and a higher percentage of people used to be able to admit when they had committed a wrong instead of looking for someplace else to put the blame.

When there was more personal responsibility, the world was a better place. That's an accurate statement.
I'm not sure this is so, but even if it were, so what? There isn't anything I can do about the ignorance, rudeness, foolishness, selfishness, or irresponsibility of others. All I can do is try and recognize that I, too, possess some of these characteristics some of the time. And that it's partly because I behave like an idiot sometimes that other people think they can or should behave like an idiot, too.

In the end, there really isn't much I can do about other people. All I can do is try to live the way I think is right, and remember that I am not the person who has been charged with deciding for everyojne else what's right and what's not. I'm only charged with deciding that for me.

wickwoman

Eowyn:

I've been married for 18 years because I WANT to stay married, not because I'm afraid society will think ill of me if I divorce. Love is the motivation to be married, not fear of stigma. People are unhappy and as Granite said, they do often rush into big decisions. And, divorcing your mate seems to be life change of choice these days. But people will learn that the grass in the other pasture is NOT greener. You can't tell them, they have to taste for themself. The only way to help the ills of society is to teach people to pursue true peace of mind and happiness and it doesn't come from books or preachers, it comes from within.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

People get divorced. Teenagers sleep together. Such things do not change my world, rock my reality, or what have you. It's the way things are and everyone should quit acting as though the solution's a rewound clock set to 1951.

The hysteria, anger, and fury unleashed when I suggested people should live and let live just shows the immaturity of some folks as opposed to the rotten ole callous heart of granite, as far as I'm concerned.

:yawn:

I didn't say that, Poly, as you very well know. I did not say I'm an advocate of divorce. I think people rush into things and then realize--too late--that they made a mistake, whether it's marriage OR divorce.

I don't even think you know exactly what you're saying.

Gerald

Resident Fiend
What color is the sky on that planet you're living on?

What color is the sky on that planet you're living on?

Originally posted by cattyfan
Yes, people are free to be idiots, but there used to be fewer idiots in the world.
:darwinsm:

Relative to the human population, the percentage of idiots has remained pretty much constant.

The only difference is that we hear about them more often, now.