No Longer A Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sozo

Originally posted by wickwoman

Well, you never know with Sozo since once he had a picture of a male model as his avatar and said it was him.

I never did that? You're crazy :kookoo:

And even if I had done that, you're still crazy :kookoo:

wickwoman

Oh, Granite, back to Venus, today our planets are in a quintux with Saturn and Jupiter so expect some transformations. I've only noticed one myself today. I've been transformed into a raving witch (-w +b). But, that's hormonal, not planetary.

Sozo, if that's you, you look like a nice person. Isn't it funny how we can be so horrible to each other since we'll never meet, but if we knew each other, we'd probably get along just fine?

Sozo

Originally posted by wickwoman

Good, I won't feel guilty for continuing to despise you and everything you stand for. ;)
Feel free to despise the man in my avatar "all" you want!

Jackielabby

Banned
Banned
Can't be bothered looking for a relevant thread or starting a new one so just thought I would post the following:

From a fellow poster on secularity.com:

In the late 1700s some people wanted democratic rule. Conservative elements of the church pointed to the Bible and said it proved that the king ruled by God's will.

In the mid 1800s some people wanted to end slavery. Conservative elements of the church pointed to the Bible and said it proved that God approved of slavery.

In the early 1900s some people wanted to give women the vote. Conservative elements of the church pointed to the Bible and said it proved that God made women inferior to men.

In the mid 1900s some people wanted to end segregation. Conservative elements of the church pointed to the Bible and said it proved God wanted to keep the races separate.

When you look back at how your parents and grandparents dealt with these things, are you ashamed or proud?

Now some people want to allow gay marriage. Conservative elements of the church are pointing to the Bible and saying it proves God hates homosexuality.

When your children and grandchildren look back at how you deal with this, will they be ashamed or proud?

gotta love it :)

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
That has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this thread.:confused:

Last edited:

Granite

Hall of Fame
Just a few reasons to look askance at the Christian church.

Man, Jackie, way to bring a thread back from the dead...

Jackielabby

Banned
Banned
It's axiomatic that religion is a good thing. "He's a very religious person", is almost always meant as a compliment. I don't know how many times I've heard someone say: John Doe couldn't have done that, after all, he's a very religious person. As if being pious inoculated a person from committing any sin or making any mistakes.

When someone asks an atheist, agnostic or freethinker, "what's your religion?", he shouldn't feel ashamed or embarrassed to declare: I'm not a practitioner of any creed or dogma.

Because it's manifest that faith in god is not a good thing. Any historian would quickly conclude that religion is a horrible invention. The Crusades, the Inquisition, the spread of Islam by the sword and the homophobia and intolerance of today's evangelists is testament to the bloody fruit of religion.

But it doesn't require a historian or a college professor to realize that belief in the supernatural does not benefit humankind.

One aspect of religion that highlights its uselessness is its profligate wastefulness. I have a friend who can't seem to find any time to clean house, find a job, or even to help her children with their homework, but she spends hours in prayer every day.

Prayer is nothing more than mental masturbation. The hours wasted talking to a nonexistent deity would be much better spent nurturing your very real children, communicating with your neglected spouse or chatting with your lonely friend.

But faith in the Almighty is not only a great waste of time, it also devours huge amounts of money. A typical medieval cathedral consumed decades in its building.

In the enlightened 21st century, billions are still being wasted in the name of religion. Jerry Falwell has exhausted hundreds of millions building his evangelical empire. If Jesus Christ were alive today, he wouldn't throw away millions building infrastructure, he'd spend every penny ministering to the poor, sick and hungry.

Religion is also a tremendous squander of brainpower; gifted minds have frittered away the years pondering how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. We need less preachers venerating old texts that curtail freedom and expression and more writers creating works that inspire individuals to imagine the impossible.

Religion does not have the efficacy to move mountains, cure cancer or raise the dead. Religion has been called the opiate of the masses, but I think it's more like a placebo for the ignorant and the intellectually lazy.

Faith may prolong life by reducing stress. Spouse left you? Got Fired? Crashed your new car? Don't despair, these minor trials and tribulations can't compare to the Pie in the Sky that will be yours when you die. But wouldn't Prozac accomplish the same thing with less serious side effects?

I am not under the illusion that this essay will persuade "people of faith" that their time- consuming, wealth-squandering and hostility- provoking system of belief is at best nothing more than a placebo.

It took a leap of faith to swallow the superstitions of religion, and it will take a lot more than my humble essay to convince the devout that they left their brains behind when they took that fateful leap.

:)

julie21

JackieLabby: and it will take a lot more than my humble essay to convince the devout that they left their brains behind when they took that fateful leap.

....so, we can see then that going the other way doesn't ensure that you actually get your brain back!
I'll be one of the first to agree that 'religion' screwed it all up.
J/labby:Because it's manifest that faith in god is not a good thing
Putting your faith solely in 'religion' is the bad thing, dear.
J/labby:prayer is nothing more than mental masturbation. The hours wasted talking to a nonexistent deity would be much better spent nurturing your very real children, communicating with your neglected spouse or chatting with your lonely friend.
Who spends hours in prayer? Just based that on your 'one' friend?
I nurture my very real children, as well as those in the local school who are not biologically mine and are suffering low self esteem, and behavioral problems from lack of literacy skills commensurate to their age.
Wasting my time??? Oh, and I also do not neglect my hubby, or the rest of my duties as a mother, wife, daughter, sibling etc...
Look at ALL of the picture , not just the little bit that you want the world to see and so base its condemnation on.:doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.