Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by granite1010

So this is the Christian buffet, Do-It-Yourself-type of Christian Reconstructionism. Uh-huuuuuh.:rolleyes:
Are you saying you would have more respect for us if we just bowed down and worshipped whatever flowed from the pen of Gary North?

Cherrypickers like you, Enyart, and the rest of the brownshirts do an injustice to North and company, who at least have dedicated serious time and scholarship to their convictions.
Cherrypickers? How so? The Bible commands us to rightly divide the word. How does North divide it? He doesn't. He sees only 1 dispensation.

Brownshirts? How so?

Dedicating serious time and scholoarship: Enyart has been researching scripture for over a quarter of a century. Furthermore, Gary North is free to call Enyart's show or challenge him to a debate either there or on TOL in a Battle Royale. I wrote Mr. North a very polite letter requesting such an enlightening exchange and got no response from him. In the debate between North/Demar vs. House/Ice, North stated that he was not aware of any systematic view of theonomy from a dispensational perspective. He said he would surely be interested in learning it. In my letter I informed him that his prayer has been answered. Enyart's taped seminar on theonomy from a dispensational perspecive lasts for 6 hours. Either North lied about his passion for hearing this view or he chickened out of the debate. Perhaps he ordered the tapes and after listening to them, realized that he is the one who has not done enough research.

This whole accepting or rejecting Jesus thing is what Americans are doing already, last time I checked.
And we are not in favor of changing this. So why the "brownshirts" reference?

Maybe you should define "bibliocracy." Somehow I don't think it's a form of government based on books.
It's a form of government based on the books of the Bible being careful (something North fails to do) to rightly divide the laws which apply to our current dispensation.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I've met North personally. The man's not a coward; I have to admire that. Preoccupied and busy as all get out, true, but certainly not a "chicken." Who knows. Maybe he doesn't feel like getting his brow beat by Enyart. Can't imagine why...

"Are you saying you would have more respect for us if we just bowed down and worshipped whatever flowed from the pen of Gary North?"

No. But I have to give CRs this much: they've dedicated a LOT of time and energy into their cause. (Lifetimes, in some cases.) Not the same as a radio show. Moreover, I've read Enyart's work. The scales tip in favor of the Tyler/Valecito crowd. Different strokes, that's all.

"It's a form of government based on the books of the Bible being careful (something North fails to do) to rightly divide the laws which apply to our current dispensation."

You don't need to be a Reconstructionist to do this...

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Originally posted by granite1010
"Are you saying you would have more respect for us if we just bowed down and worshipped whatever flowed from the pen of Gary North?"

No. But I have to give CRs this much: they've dedicated a LOT of time and energy into their cause. (Lifetimes, in some cases.)
I agree, but that doesn't make them automatically right. Millions of people are very dedicated, yet wrong.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I'm saying when it comes to scholarship I have respect for them, not a loudmouth bloviating over the airwaves.

As for millions being misled and sincere about it, I couldn't agree more.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
billwald said:
Heard a guy on "Rush" say that if we had a "Christian" govt then practicing another religion would be treason.
He's wrong.

Granite

Hall of Fame
According to some, yes. Others, no.

North and Chilton, for their part, didn't advocate proselytizing for other religions beside Christianity. Maybe Chilton changed his mind before his death, but I don't believe North and Rushdoony did.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
billwald said:
Heard a guy on "Rush" say that if we had a "Christian" govt then practicing another religion would be treason.
I imagine that depends on what particular sect the "Christian government" represented.

Great Britain, for example, is a "Christian government". The monarch is head of the Church of England, yet Britain allows other religions to be practiced pretty much without hindrance.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I actually agree with Zakath on something. It is disingenuous to paint all theonomists with one broad brush. It's like accusing all Christians of being racists just because some Christian you know at work is a racist.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Reconstruction is incredibly varied, even beyond the Vallecito/Tyler split. All the eggs are certainly not in one basket.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Jefferson said:
I actually agree with Zakath on something.
:shocked:

Quick, someone get Gerald to check the thermometer outside his office!!!! :rain: :chuckle:

It is disingenuous to paint all theonomists with one broad brush.
As well as plain ignorant.

It's like accusing all Christians of being racists just because some Christian you know at work is a racist.
Or like accusing all atheists of being blowhard feminist bombasts because of Madeline O'Hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.