My paper on water baptism.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
In my paper I talk about the context and interpretation of Acts 2:38 and Mark 16:16. Also I discus the relationship of grace and baptism in regards to salvation.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B32tpD-hd6RkZ0JybkltZUR0Y0k/view?usp=sharing
:thumb: Thanks for sharing.

• One believes and is baptized (first act of obedience).
• You reminded the reader that he is not saving himself when baptized (e.g. going through the motions).
• Compared to marriage covenant. When one is truly saved, he is kept by God (1 Pe 1:5). Marriage is a picture of Christ’s union with his church (Eph. 5:23–32).
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned [Mark 16:16].
“He does not say that if you are not baptized you will be damned. He is not saying that baptism is necessary to salvation, but that the person who is saved will be baptized. It is the rejection of Christ which brings eternal damnation. “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him” (John 3:36).” McGee, J. V. (1991). Thru the Bible commentary: The Gospels (Mark) (electronic ed., Vol. 36, p. 201). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.
...One baptism...[Eph. 4:5].
““One baptism” has reference to the baptism of the Holy Spirit, which is real baptism. Ritual baptism is by water. Water baptism is a symbol of the real baptism of the Holy Spirit by which believers are actually made one.” McGee, J. V. (1991). Thru the Bible commentary: The Epistles (Ephesians) (electronic ed., Vol. 47, p. 114). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Water is a proper part of baptism, either by full immersion or sprinkling- however one can do it, that's how it's done. John the Baptist was doing full immersion, but the early Christians went around with buckets and spoons.

What many people today are trying to do is put everything into prayer- baptized by prayer, salvation by prayer, fruits by prayer.
This is something colloquially called 'prayerism', and dismisses the spirit and tradition of Christianity.

These people, who are largely MADists, have taken certain scriptures too far and have come to ridiculous conclusions- 'spiritual' vs 'water' is just one of those things, unfortunately. The Christian church didn't baptize people for the past nearly 2000 years just to be told they are wrong by a bunch of people who find it a lot more convenient to 'evangelize' without it.

In fact, these people's Christianity is a gigantic mass of convenience. They went from 'faith alone' to 'condemning works', from 'holy tradition' to 'no tradition', and from 'evangelizing' to 'lying to people'.
And they're going to be beamed up into the sky before anything bad happens :rolleyes:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
I'm glad you got to read it :) Google drive is awesome ! I have just really started using it more but so far no complaints :)
I do however believe water baptism is part of salvation.
The guys at Best Buy recommended it or one's own personal cloud. I've got a fluffy cloud up there somewhere--it just never shares :sigh: my contacts or email with me. :p

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
i received the spirit before i was water baptized. although i am not against being water baptized the opportunity hasn't presented itself. if i ever do get water baptized, i dont consider it a significant thing.

Baptism is for the remission of sin. It's a good thing for us that Jesus didn't have that attitude of apathy.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
as i said, i received the holy spirit. which is a guarantee of ones salvation.

David of Israel also had God's Spirit, but his faith was below par.

What we say and do demonstrates our faith.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I suppose some people believe taking a bath can cleanse their sins, but then they get out with sin in their heart still

Do you believe Jesus' baptism was because he needed a bath? Is that why his Father commended him? Is it because baptism means nothing to his Father?

Jesus was baptized for the remission of sin.

There we saw the giants (the descendants of Anak came from the giants) and we were like grasshoppers in our own sight and so we were in their sight. (Numbers 13:33)​

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
he didnt need to be forgiven of sin. he had no sin. his water baptism is where he took up the worlds sin. its necessary for salvation then.

Because Jesus did not deserve death the Father applies Jesus' death to his human creation.

It was necessary for Christ to die before humans were created because of the angels that sinned.

God did not want any of the angels to suffer eternal death, he loved them. Still does.

DAN P

:thumb: Thanks for sharing.

• One believes and is baptized (first act of obedience).
• You reminded the reader that he is not saving himself when baptized (e.g. going through the motions).
• Compared to marriage covenant. When one is truly saved, he is kept by God (1 Pe 1:5). Marriage is a picture of Christ’s union with his church (Eph. 5:23–32).
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned [Mark 16:16].
“He does not say that if you are not baptized you will be damned. He is not saying that baptism is necessary to salvation, but that the person who is saved will be baptized. It is the rejection of Christ which brings eternal damnation. “He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him” (John 3:36).” McGee, J. V. (1991). Thru the Bible commentary: The Gospels (Mark) (electronic ed., Vol. 36, p. 201). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.
...One baptism...[Eph. 4:5].
““One baptism” has reference to the baptism of the Holy Spirit, which is real baptism. Ritual baptism is by water. Water baptism is a symbol of the real baptism of the Holy Spirit by which believers are actually made one.” McGee, J. V. (1991). Thru the Bible commentary: The Epistles (Ephesians) (electronic ed., Vol. 47, p. 114). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

Hi and I believe that McGee was an Acts 2 believer as I have listened to Him and even went to hear him many times since I live in LA !!

So when did he change too Eph 4:5 ??

dan p

Rivers

Nonon,

Jesus may have been water baptized because it was required of the Jews under the Law (Luke 7:29-30) and Jesus was still needed to be "saved from death" as a result of the sin of Adam (Romans 5:12-14; Hebrews 5:7-9).