User Tag List

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 445

Thread: Discussion thread for: Battle Royale XIII

  1. #91
    Over 6000 post club genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    6,993
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 555 Times in 416 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    461293
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    You are sadly mistaken.
    On which point?
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  2. #92
    Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,720
    Thanks
    1,174
    Thanked 13,247 Times in 10,132 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147867
    Nevermind. I figured it out.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Graphite View Post
    To bring further clarity on the issue of culpability in sin, we pose the following three cases:

    Robbery Case #1

    I am in my car at a red light, and a man comes up to my window and says: "Hi. Could you please give me a ride to the bank? I have some banking to do and my car just broke down."

    I say, "Sure. Hop in…" and take him to the bank. As I am leaving, to my horror I see him pull a mask over his face, draw a gun from his pocket, and enter the bank.

    Gunshots and screams fill the air, and the man I drove to the bank comes running out --- after he murdered the banker, and stole all the money he could carry. He flees successfully.

    GGQ4: Did I sin by giving this murderer and robber a ride to the bank?
    No.

    Robbery Case #2

    I am at a traffic light, and a man comes up to my window and says, "Excuse me; I'm going rob the bank, then shoot the teller so that he won't be able to testify against me at trial if I get caught. Would you please give me a ride to the bank?"

    I say, "Sure, hop in…" and give him a ride to the bank, and he fulfills his promise.

    GGQ5: Given those facts, have I participated in the sin of theft and murder?
    Yes.

    Robbery Case #3

    I am at a traffic light, and a man comes up to my window and says, "I have a friend who intends to rob the bank and shoot the bank teller. I want to keep him out of trouble, so I promised to watch out for him while he commits the crime. If a policeman comes, I will distract him so that my friend won't get caught. Will you please take me to the bank?"

    I say, "Sure. Hop in…" and take him to the bank. (On the way over, we discuss how neither of us could ever rob a bank or murder a bank teller.) We arrive and see the thief/murderer drive up, exit his car, cover his face, draw his weapon, and enter the bank. We hear screams and gunshots. Within seconds, a policeman emerges on foot from around the corner with his gun drawn, looking anxiously for assailants or victims.

    The man I gave a ride to plays his role perfectly. He jumps out of my car, yelling and pointing; "I just saw a man running down that alley with a gun in his hand and a bag he brought out of the bank!" The policeman takes the bait, and runs down the alleyway, vainly chasing a villain who is not there.

    The murderer merges from the bank, glances over at his friend (my passenger), nods appreciatively, gets into his car, and escapes.

    GGQ6: Given these facts, have I participated in the sin of robbery and murder?
    Yes. And so did the man to which you gave the ride.

    GGQ8: Is it immoral to vote for a presidential candidate willing to kill this innocent child?
    GGQ9: Is it immoral to vote for a presidential candidate willing to fund the killing of this innocent child?
    GGQ10: Is it immoral to vote for a presidential candidate willing to use his power as President to keep it legal to kill this innocent child?
    Yes to all 3.

    Quote Originally Posted by nicholsmom View Post
    Even the National Right to Life considers him to be pro-life, stating, "Senator John McCain has consistently taken a strong pro-life position against abortion, has a strong pro-life voting record against abortion and opposes Roe v. Wade." (Source)
    Do you really trust NRTL? They said the same things of Bush, and he hasn't done one thing to end abortion.

    It is disingenuous to say that McCain is lying just because he fails to meet your standard for "pro-life voting record."
    What if I say he's lying because he doesn't meet God's standard for pro-life voting?

    GGQ7: Which one are you going to support, knowing that eventually one will succeed in getting in? To whom do you give your key?
    NWA-GGQ7: Neither. But again, the analogy has nothing to do with the issue at hand.
    Neither huh?

    GGQ8: Is it immoral to vote for a presidential candidate willing to kill this innocent child?
    NWA-GGQ8: Yes. But this is simply more emotionally laden rhetoric, as there is no Presidential candidate involved in this election who has expressed a desire to kill children.
    False. Any expression of allowing, or promoting the murder of innocent children through the method of what is commonly known as abortion is the same as being willing to participate. And I do not mean just idly standing by as someone else does it. I mean supporting and promoting those who do it. I can think of a quote from Obama off the top of my head that shows he supports and promotes abortion. Supporting and promoting the choice is supporting and promoting the action.

    GGQ9: Is it immoral to vote for a presidential candidate willing to fund the killing of this innocent child?
    NWA-GGQ9: Yes. Have you read John McCain's stance upon the issue of abortion? He agrees with us.
    Bush said the same thing. What has he done?

    GGQ10: Is it immoral to vote for a presidential candidate willing to use his power as President to keep it legal to kill this innocent child?
    NWA-GGQ10: Yes. Again, this is not John McCain's position. He has pledged to do his part to end abortion - he will nominate constructionist judges who, by definition, would never overturn a personhood amendment, national or otherwise.
    Bush said the same thing. What has he done?

    Finally, as we've answered all of your hypotheticals this, we're going to indulge in one of our own:

    A man owns a factory in WWII Germany. He has personally seen a concentration camp and fully understands what is taking place in terms of the murder of Jews. As the owner of this factory, he is able to requisition the labor of Jews who are currently in those camps, moving them into his personal care, where he can prevent their mistreatment and eventual death. Now, obviously, in doing this he will only save a small fraction of those being killed, and in order to do this he must not speak out directly against the Nazi regime as to do so would result in his immediate imprisonment and death and the return of all those under his care to the concentration camps.

    NWQ5:If he chooses to remain silent and only save those who is able to, is he committing an immoral act?
    Hypothetical? Pssst...That actually happened. And FYI, Schindler was not a government official. Hitler was the government official in that case, and McCain would be the government official in the case of the US and abortion, if he is elected. It was wrong for Hitler to make it legal to kill Jews, and it will be wrong for McCain to keep abortion legal. Schindler did not commit an immoral act, but Hitler did, and McCain will if he keeps it legal in any manner.


  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

    Tambora (October 31st, 2016)

  4. #93
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    15,389
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 7,774 Times in 6,107 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147795
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Presidential Election 2008 - Is it Immoral to Vote for McCain/Palin? Battle Royale XIII
    GodsfreeWill and The Graphite vs. WandererinFog and Nicholsmom


    This will be the very first ever Battle Royale TAG TEAM battle!

    What: The debate is titled: Presidential Election 2008 - Is it Immoral to Vote for McCain/Palin?

    Where:
    The debate will take place on the Internet at TheologyOnline.com (TOL), the popular online Christian forum, with the moderator, opponents, and spectators all participating and observing over the web.

    Who: The debate will be moderated by the site’s webmaster, through his TOL screen name Knight, who can be contacted at knight@TheologyOnline.com. GodsfreeWill and The Graphite vs. WandererinFog and Nicholsmom will be the combatants

    When: The debate will begin on Monday, September 29, 2008 at noon (MDT). GodsfreeWill's team will post first since they are arguing for the affirmative. Nicholsmom's team will have 48 hours to post their rebuttal. THERE WILL NOT BE A WEEKEND BREAK FOR THIS BATTLE. Each team has 48 hours from the time of the previous post to make their next post. If for some reason a combatant cannot make their post on time they can make arrangements with me (Knight) and we can make an adjustment as long as it is a reasonable adjustment.

    How: The debate will last for five rounds. The recommended maximum word limit for the average post is 6,000 words, but any or all posts could be much briefer or possibly longer if need be. For each round, the opponents will login to TheologyOnline.com to upload their posts. The official BR XII clock is the post time of the last post. (Remember to log in to TOL so that the system will automatically adjust references to your time zone and remember to make sure your time zone is set correctly in your TheologyOnLine USER Control Panel)

    Battle schedule....
    Post #1 - Round #1 - opening statement (GodsfreeWill Team)
    Post #2 - Round #1 - opening statement and rebuttal (Nicholsmom Team)
    Post #3 - Round #2 - rebuttal (GodsfreeWill Team)
    Post #4 - Round #2 - rebuttal (Nicholsmom Team)
    Post #5 - Round #3 - rebuttals (GodsfreeWill Team)
    Post #6 - Round #3 - rebuttals (Nicholsmom Team)
    Post #7 - Round #4 - rebuttals (GodsfreeWill Team)
    Post #8 - Round #4 - rebuttals (Nicholsmom Team)
    Post #9 - Round #5 - closing statements (GodsfreeWill Team)
    Post #10 - Round #5 - closing statements (Nicholsmom Team)


    Guidelines

    Clarity: Both sides will attempt to achieve clarity and avoid obfuscation.

    Responsiveness:
    Each side will make an effort to be responsive to the other, to interact, and to answer relevant questions forthrightly, which also ensures that the participants actually debate one another and not simply post material written for other purposes, especially if that material is not specifically responsive.

    Specific BR XII Rules

    Rule 1:
    Question Numbering: To help focus the opponent on the topic(s) of a particular post, and to enable readers to follow the debate more easily, participants will sequentially number their questions using TOL’s Battle Royale convention of first and last initial, a Q for question, an A for answer, and then the question number. Godsfreewill's team will be identified as GG (Godsfreewill and the Graphite) and Nicholsmom's team will be identified as NW (Nicholsmom and WanderinFog) Therefore questions and answers can be identified as : GGQ1, GGQ2, NWQ1, and would mark any answer given with GGA-NWQ1 (Godsfreewill's team answers Nicholsmoms team first question), NWA-GGQ1, etc. After reading a post of, say, fifteen paragraphs, without such a convention, it may be unclear to the audience and even to the opponent exactly what is being asked. So this also saves participants time in evaluating an opponent’s post. And it discourages unresponsive replies that focus for example on rhetorical questions or incidental details while ignoring the primary challenges. Of course there can be valid reasons why an opponent may refuse to answer a given question.

    Please summarize your new questions in each round for your opponent at the bottom of each post.

    Rule 2:
    Tag Team: This is a tag team battle which means there are two combatants on either side: GodsfreeWill and The Graphite on one side and WandererinFog and Nicholsmom on the other side. Each team may make only ONE post in each round. Therefore there will be 10 total posts in this battle (5 per team).

    Only Admins and Battle Royale participants will be able to post in this battle thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Not.

    You cannot select to quote posts in that thread and then quote them. It won't let you.


    Hit multiquote in the post from the other thread then quote a post here. Directly under the text editing field will be the instructions you need to quote the multi-quoted text from the other thread.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.


  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    Tambora (October 31st, 2016)

  6. #94
    Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,720
    Thanks
    1,174
    Thanked 13,247 Times in 10,132 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147867
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    On which point?
    God did not put anyone under Hitler. Hitler was elected. And Pharaoh forced himself upon the Israelites.

    Neither of these were punishments against anyone. They were both wrong. God was not responsible for either.

    And whether or not an evil man wins the election, we speak out against wickedness by not voting for a wicked man.


  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

    Tambora (October 31st, 2016)

  8. #95
    Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,720
    Thanks
    1,174
    Thanked 13,247 Times in 10,132 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147867
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post


    Hit multiquote in the post from the other thread then quote a post here. Directly under the text editing field will be the instructions you need to quote the multi-quoted text from the other thread.
    I already figured it out. See:

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Nevermind. I figured it out.


    No.


    Yes.


    Yes. And so did the man to which you gave the ride.


    Yes to all 3.


    Do you really trust NRTL? They said the same things of Bush, and he hasn't done one thing to end abortion.


    What if I say he's lying because he doesn't meet God's standard for pro-life voting?


    Neither huh?


    False. Any expression of allowing, or promoting the murder of innocent children through the method of what is commonly known as abortion is the same as being willing to participate. And I do not mean just idly standing by as someone else does it. I mean supporting and promoting those who do it. I can think of a quote from Obama off the top of my head that shows he supports and promotes abortion. Supporting and promoting the choice is supporting and promoting the action.


    Bush said the same thing. What has he done?


    Bush said the same thing. What has he done?


    Hypothetical? Pssst...That actually happened. And FYI, Schindler was not a government official. Hitler was the government official in that case, and McCain would be the government official in the case of the US and abortion, if he is elected. It was wrong for Hitler to make it legal to kill Jews, and it will be wrong for McCain to keep abortion legal. Schindler did not commit an immoral act, but Hitler did, and McCain will if he keeps it legal in any manner.
    It's the post just above yours.


  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

    Tambora (October 31st, 2016)

  10. #96
    Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Posts
    4,397
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 398 Times in 284 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    227503
    Team GG's statements regarding Schindler's activities during WWII were stunningly bad. They accuse a man who did what he could, within the constraints of Nazi Germany, to help as many people as he could. In essence, team GG's position is that if a person goes to a slave market, buys a slave and sets that slave free, that person is guilty of slave trade because they bought a slave. This is such a poor analysis of moral behavior that it casts a significant shadow over the rest of their post.

    Just out of curiosity, if you refuse to tell a couple about birth control when you know they are having sex out of wedlock and that couple gets pregnant, when that woman has an abortion are you guilty of murder because you did not do something that would have prevented that abortion from occuring?
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

    What are my fruits today?

    Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

    "Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

  11. #97
    Over 750 post club The Graphite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The Unga-Bungalow
    Posts
    988
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0

    Thumbs down

    CM, if you think that we argued that a person going to a slave market and buying a slave and setting him free is tantamount to slavery and murder, then you need new reading glasses. We argued no such thing.

    If you go to a slave market, borrow a slave, and then give him back to the slave market knowing that they will continue to enslave him and probably kill him, THEN you are guilty of both slave trading and murder. And THAT is the hypothetical given by NW.

    If I know you are going to murder your 6-year-old child, and I borrow him for a day to mow my lawn, and then I give him back to you knowing you are even considering killing him... well, you know the rest.

  12. #98
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    15,389
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 7,774 Times in 6,107 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147795
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    Team GG's statements regarding Schindler's activities during WWII were stunningly bad. They accuse a man who did what he could, within the constraints of Nazi Germany, to help as many people as he could.
    You've seen the film too, eh?

    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    In essence, team GG's position is that if a person goes to a slave market, buys a slave and sets that slave free, that person is guilty of slave trade because they bought a slave.
    They are.

    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    This is such a poor analysis of moral behavior that it casts a significant shadow over the rest of their post.

    It's not helping at all to support the people who trade in slaves or murder the unborn.

    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    Just out of curiosity, if you refuse to tell a couple about birth control when you know they are having sex out of wedlock and that couple gets pregnant, when that woman has an abortion are you guilty of murder because you did not do something that would have prevented that abortion from occuring?
    :squint:
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.


  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    Tambora (October 31st, 2016)

  14. #99
    Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,720
    Thanks
    1,174
    Thanked 13,247 Times in 10,132 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147867
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Team GG's statements regarding Schindler's activities during WWII were stunningly bad. They accuse a man who did what he could, [U]within the constraints
    When did Team GG do that?


  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

    Tambora (October 31st, 2016)

  16. #100
    Over 6000 post club genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    6,993
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 555 Times in 416 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    461293
    Round 3 - part 1 - Team GG

    Team GG starts this round by declaring themselves the winners.

    Team GG (finally) provides a clear statement on the basis they are using for determining whether it would be immoral to vote for McCain:
    When a candidate participates in sins which God has said are capital crimes, we become complicit in his crimes by helping him get into a position of power where those capital crimes will be acted out.
    Team GG then answers the questions posed by team NW in the previous round.

    Concerning the standards for electing a leader, team GG stated that their standards are that a candidate for president should adhere to the moral standards of the ten commandments:
    Certainly we don’t require John McCain to adhere to a standard of teaching Christian doctrine as one would expect a church leader to do, because that is an issue of jurisdiction rather than morality. However, all of the moral standards are the same: do not murder, do not steal, do not commit adultery, and do not commit perjury.
    Concerning the actions of a single man in the midst of Nazi Germany, team GG states that the standards must apply to all men, not any one man:
    If it would have been right for everyone to live by that standard, then it was right for one man. There is only one standard of right and wrong and you don’t do evil that good may come of it.
    Team GG spent time establishing what made up a just law that must be obeyed and an unjust law that must be disobeyed.
    Then team GG used an example from the Nuremberg Trials to set up their next argument.
    was guilty of murder; he was culpable in the crime and sin of slavery and murder because he was guilty of “conspiracy” to do so, just as Haman was. Sommer never fired a shot, never gassed a helpless victim. He didn’t have to.

    And neither did McCain.
    Team GG then turns their arguments entirely to whether McCain has supported, condoned, or funded abortions.
    The main evidence they presented shows that McCain has supported abortions in the case of incest and rape, currently supports embryonic stem cell research, and opposes federal law on abortion in favor of states rights.

    Team GG uses team NW's statements and answers to questions to reach the conclusion:
    According to the standard set forth by Team NW themselves, it is immoral to vote for John McCain for president.
    Team GG ends with the questions they ask for the round:
    GGQ11: In the case of Karl Sommer, did the fact that he stayed behind a desk and used only pen and paper constitute any defense against the charges of slavery and murder?
    GGQ12: In a general sense, that is to say, on principle, were the Nuremberg Trials just, even though in nearly every charge the defendants were following the law of the land and used that excuse in their defense?
    GGQ13: Is John McCain guilty of mass murder according to these same principles? If not, how is his case different in such a way as to excuse him from culpability?
    GGQ14: Based on the evidence provided here, does McCain believe abortion should be legal in the cases of a) rape and/or incest, and b) embryonic stem cell research?
    GGQ15: If answered yes to last question, do you believe McCain is the kind of man who will refuse to stand up for his principles in this area, who will go against his own views and work to criminalize something he believes should be legal? Or, conversely, do you believe McCain will likely use the authority of his presidential office to keep some abortion legal, including to sign bills that affirm legal abortion?
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  17. #101
    Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Posts
    4,397
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 398 Times in 284 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    227503
    Quote Originally Posted by The Graphite View Post
    CM, if you think that we argued that a person going to a slave market and buying a slave and setting him free is tantamount to slavery and murder, then you need new reading glasses. We argued no such thing.

    If you go to a slave market, borrow a slave, and then give him back to the slave market knowing that they will continue to enslave him and probably kill him, THEN you are guilty of both slave trading and murder. And THAT is the hypothetical given by NW.

    If I know you are going to murder your 6-year-old child, and I borrow him for a day to mow my lawn, and then I give him back to you knowing you are even considering killing him... well, you know the rest.
    I note that you chose not to address my hypothetical situation. Why? If you know that a woman will get an abortion if she gets pregnant, are you guilty of murder if you do not do everything you can to prevent her from getting pregnant up to and including providing birth control?

    By the by, did Schindler do or more, less or nothing at all when compared to the other business owners? If he had spoken out he would have been dead. If he had been caught, he would have been dead. Since he would be dead either way, is it better to die defending and idea, or defending the people hurt by those who reject the idea?
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

    What are my fruits today?

    Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

    "Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

  18. #102
    Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Posts
    4,397
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 398 Times in 284 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    227503
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    You've seen the film too, eh?


    They are.
    A person why buys a slave to free them is guilty of slave trading?! Gotcha. Don't agree with you at all, but I gotcha.


    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe
    [/color]It's not helping at all to support the people who trade in slaves or murder the unborn.

    :squint:
    What about you Stripe, care to actually answer the hypothetical situation?
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

    What are my fruits today?

    Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

    "Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

  19. #103
    Over 750 post club The Graphite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The Unga-Bungalow
    Posts
    988
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    And if he'd had the courage to do what was right, he would have been a righteous martyr.

    Instead, he was a coward and a co-conspirator. If a paramedic saves 10 lives all day, and comes home and kills his kid, you don't say he was hero because of the lives he saved. He is a murderer and should be put to death. However many lives you save, if you participate in slavery and murder, you are guilty. If all German businessmen had had the courage to do the right thing, it would have been a wonderful and glorious thing. But you would have criticized him for doing that if he'd been the only one. How far we have fallen, that we call evil good, and good evil.

    Your hypothetical? Of course I wouldn't be guilty. I would not have helped her commit murder.

    And my hypothetical? Didn't think so.

    NW's hypothetical didn't refer explicitly to Schindler, and our response was directed at their hypothetical and not directly at Schindler. NW said that the man in their hypothetical handed men over to return to the concentration camps. That is the nail in the coffin. You hand an innocent man over to be enslaved and murdered and you are guilty, guilty, guilty.

  20. #104
    Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Posts
    4,397
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 398 Times in 284 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    227503
    Quote Originally Posted by The Graphite View Post
    Your hypothetical? Of course I wouldn't be guilty. I would not have helped her commit murder.
    Why aren't you guilty. You didn't do everything you could do to prevent an abortion. You are guilty of exactlythe same thing you are accusing McCain of. I find your argument hypocritical.
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

    What are my fruits today?

    Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

    "Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

  21. #105
    Journeyman WandererInFog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    205
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by The Graphite View Post

    NW's hypothetical didn't refer explicitly to Schindler, and our response was directed at their hypothetical and not directly at Schindler. NW said that the man in their hypothetical handed men over to return to the concentration camps. That is the nail in the coffin. You hand an innocent man over to be enslaved and murdered and you are guilty, guilty, guilty.
    You might want to go re-read the question.
    "When the lights go out all over the world, when history seems headed only into a dead end and total disaster, God brings forth light. He changes the direction of history and regenerates men and redirects events and institutions to fulfill His purposes."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us