User Tag List

Page 1 of 30 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 445

Thread: Discussion thread for: Battle Royale XIII

  1. #1
    ...then I woke up. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,597
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 719 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1013409

    Lightbulb Discussion thread for: Battle Royale XIII

    Presidential Election 2008 - Is it Immoral to Vote for McCain/Palin? Battle Royale XIII
    GodsfreeWill and The Graphite vs. WandererinFog and Nicholsmom


    In this thread feel free to discuss Battle Royale XIII. Who's winning and why?
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

    Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...


  2. #2
    Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Posts
    4,397
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 398 Times in 284 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    227503
    Is it immoral to to vote for McCain/Palin? No. Stupid, but not immoral. Is it immoral to vote for Obama/Biden? No. Stupid, but not immoral.

    For your vote to be immoral, you have to be voting intentionally against God such as, "I am voting for Obama because I want abortions to continue," or, "I am voting for McCain because he will not do anything meaningful to change abortion.," (Disclaimer: neither position is my personnel opinion) Then you are voting against God's morals making your vote immoral. However, if you know that neither canidate will do anything to address abortion and you look at the rest of their platforms and vote based on which of those platofrms is more inline with Christs's message of love and service to our fellow men, then I do not think that your vote is immoral.
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

    What are my fruits today?

    Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

    "Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

  3. #3
    ...then I woke up. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,597
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 719 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1013409
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    However, if you know that neither canidate will do anything to address abortion and you look at the rest of their platforms and vote based on which of those platofrms is more inline with Christs's message of love and service to our fellow men, then I do not think that your vote is immoral.
    But what if the candidate has made it publicly clear he intends to murder babies?

    Isn't it immoral to support a man who has made it clear that he supports murdering people?
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

    Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...


  4. #4
    ...then I woke up. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,597
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 719 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1013409
    Oh and by the way.... lets do our best in this thread to STAY ON TOPIC. I want to make sure we are discussing the content of Battle Royale XIII and not getting off an tangents that are unrelated.

    Thanks!!
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

    Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...


  5. #5
    Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Posts
    4,397
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 398 Times in 284 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    227503
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    But what if the candidate has made it publicly clear he intends to murder babies?

    Isn't it immoral to support a man who has made it clear that he supports murdering people?

    If there is a candidate that says they are going to force every person under the age of 20 to get an abortion then that is a candidate who intends to kill babies and it would be flatly wrong to vote for him no mater his other positions.


    I am going to play devil's advocate here so please don't attribute this position to me. A good friend of mine is very liberal and we have had frequent discussions on this issue. We do not agree on this issue but his argument goes something like this:


    A candidate who says they are apposed to abortion but feel that it is the right of a woman to make that choice is not advocating the murdering babies they are advocating choice. Since it a choice made by a woman, nobody is responsible for the results of that choice except the woman and the doctor. They must deal with the consequences of those actions. Therefore it is okay to support a candidate who supports a woman's right to choose.


    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

    What are my fruits today?

    Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

    "Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

  6. #6
    ...then I woke up. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,597
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 719 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1013409
    Quote Originally Posted by CabinetMaker View Post
    If there is a candidate that says they are going to force every person under the age of 20 to get an abortion then that is a candidate who intends to kill babies and it would be flatly wrong to vote for him no mater his other positions.
    So... if a candidate says... I support abortion in X, Y, but not Z situations that doesn't constitute support for abortion in your mind?

    I am going to play devil's advocate here so please don't attribute this position to me. A good friend of mine is very liberal and we have had frequent discussions on this issue. We do not agree on this issue but his argument goes something like this:[/COLOR]

    A candidate who says they are apposed to abortion but feel that it is the right of a woman to make that choice is not advocating the murdering babies they are advocating choice. Since it a choice made by a woman, nobody is responsible for the results of that choice except the woman and the doctor. They must deal with the consequences of those actions. Therefore it is okay to support a candidate who supports a woman's right to choose.
    That's like saying....

    It isn't supporting rape if you turn your back while a woman is being raped. After all... it isn't you who is raping the woman.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

    Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...


  7. #7
    Over 5000 post club
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    5,692
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 42 Times in 40 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    89522
    I think Knight is winning so far, but that could just be due to the fact that he's the only one who's posted in the BR thread so far.
    "Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets." -- Amos 3:7

  8. #8
    Member of the 10 year club on TOL!! CabinetMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    On the back of a horse someplace in Colorado
    Posts
    4,397
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 398 Times in 284 Posts

    Blog Entries
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    227503
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    So... if a candidate says... I support abortion in X, Y, but not Z situations that doesn't constitute support for abortion in your mind?
    It would depend on Z. I am not a doctor and I do not know where medical science is with supporting high-risk pregnancies. Is there ever a situation where an abortion may be required to save the life of the mother? Would restricting her ability to have an abortion leading to the death of the mother and child be an appropriate outcome in such a situation? What if the woman has several children at home, should that be considered? I am more than willing to outlaw all abortions with an exception for medical necessity. But medical necessity should be very narrowly defined since an abortion is the killing of a baby.

    Quote Originally Posted by Knight
    That's like saying....

    It isn't supporting rape if you turn your back while a woman is being raped. After all... it isn't you who is raping the woman.
    I agree. I think its a cop out.
    Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

    What are my fruits today?

    Cityboy With Horses A blog about what happens when you say, "I Promise"

    "Moral standards" are a lot like lighthouses: they exist to help us stay on course as we sail through life. But we have to steer BY them, but not directly AT them. Lest we end up marooned on the shoals of perpetual self-righteousness.

  9. #9
    Old Timer Prolifeguyswife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    401
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    126
    I think GodsFreeWill and The Graphite already won the debate. There's nothing Nicholsmom and the other guy can say without seeming to be pro-choice (which I don't think they are) or like they don't care about what God would have them do.
    "Feminism is a socialist, anti-family, political movement that encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."
    Pat Robertson



    Hatred of sin is a family value.

    "Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable." - G. K. Chesterton

  10. #10
    Over 500 post club nicholsmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    747
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1288
    Quote Originally Posted by Prolifeguyswife View Post
    I think GodsFreeWill and The Graphite already won the debate. There's nothing Nicholsmom and the other guy can say without seeming to be pro-choice (which I don't think they are) or like they don't care about what God would have them do.
    This is not about being pro-life or not. The question - chosen by GodsFreeWill, btw - is "Is it immoral to vote for McCain/Palin?"

    Read our response.
    Futility: "More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and hopelessness; the other, to total extinction. Let us pray that we will have the wisdom to choose correctly. I speak, by the way, not with any sense of futility, but with a panicky conviction of the absolute meaninglessness of existence."
    - Woody Allen

    Hope:
    Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
    Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthyŚmeditate on these things.
    Philippians 4:6-8

  11. #11
    Over 6000 post club genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    6,993
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 554 Times in 415 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    461293
    The opening round started off weakly in support of the position that it is immoral to vote for McCain/Palin.
    Three questions were asked:
    GG1: If you were about to do something that God did not want you to do, would you want to know?
    This question is vague.
    What am I about to do that God does not want me to do?
    How is this different than all the other things I do that God does not want me to do?
    If this question is about who to vote for, I have to remember that it is God who raises up kings and throws them down.
    President Bush is the current President because God raised him to that position, regardless of what anyone else thinks of him.
    It was God who put Nebuchadnezzar in place to destroy the land of Israel because of the idolatry of the children of Israel.
    Nebuchadnezzar was later used to proclaim that the God of Israel was superior to all other gods.
    In order to answer the first question, we need to know which person God wants in office, then vote for that person no matter what we think of their policies.

    GG2: Would you still support McCain if he were willing to kill some Jews or some blacks?
    This question falls short in addressing the topic of the Battle Royale.
    Killing Jews and blacks is legal as long as the person being killed is an infant in the womb.
    It is also legal to kill Hispanics and whites under the same conditions.
    We already know that McCain is willing to kill some Arabs to defend the country.
    The question needed to have more detail on the people McCain is supposed to be willing to kill, why he is willing to kill them, and how much of a hand McCain is to take in killing them.

    GG3: Two men are trying to break into a school. One wants to kill all the kids in the school and the other only wants to kill some of them. Neither one is personally threatening your life. You have a key to get into the school. Which one are you going to support, knowing that eventually one will succeed in getting in? To whom do you give your key?
    This question seems to be further off than the other two.
    Who are the two men, McCain and Obama?
    If so, which one wants to abort all the children in the USA for the 4 years in office, and which one only wants to abort some of the children in the USA?
    What if you give your key to one of them, but that one remains locked out and the other still gets in?
    This question is confusing and takes away from any argument that the first post in the opening round was trying to make.


    I also had to wonder, where is the statement that clearly says, "It is immoral to vote for McCain/Palin because ..."?
    Without a good statement on why it is immoral to vote for McCain/Palin, there is no basis for any of the other statements in the post.
    The post is reduced to a few random sayings that the reader needs to put into an argument for the debator instead of having an argument put together by the debator for the reader.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  12. #12
    Over 500 post club nicholsmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    747
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1288
    Quote Originally Posted by genuineoriginal View Post
    The opening round started off weakly in support of the position that it is immoral to vote for McCain/Palin.
    Three questions were asked:

    This question is vague.
    What am I about to do that God does not want me to do?
    How is this different than all the other things I do that God does not want me to do?
    If this question is about who to vote for, I have to remember that it is God who raises up kings and throws them down.
    President Bush is the current President because God raised him to that position, regardless of what anyone else thinks of him.
    It was God who put Nebuchadnezzar in place to destroy the land of Israel because of the idolatry of the children of Israel.
    Nebuchadnezzar was later used to proclaim that the God of Israel was superior to all other gods.
    In order to answer the first question, we need to know which person God wants in office, then vote for that person no matter what we think of their policies.


    This question falls short in addressing the topic of the Battle Royale.
    Killing Jews and blacks is legal as long as the person being killed is an infant in the womb.
    It is also legal to kill Hispanics and whites under the same conditions.
    We already know that McCain is willing to kill some Arabs to defend the country.
    The question needed to have more detail on the people McCain is supposed to be willing to kill, why he is willing to kill them, and how much of a hand McCain is to take in killing them.


    This question seems to be further off than the other two.
    Who are the two men, McCain and Obama?
    If so, which one wants to abort all the children in the USA for the 4 years in office, and which one only wants to abort some of the children in the USA?
    What if you give your key to one of them, but that one remains locked out and the other still gets in?
    This question is confusing and takes away from any argument that the first post in the opening round was trying to make.


    I also had to wonder, where is the statement that clearly says, "It is immoral to vote for McCain/Palin because ..."?
    Without a good statement on why it is immoral to vote for McCain/Palin, there is no basis for any of the other statements in the post.
    The post is reduced to a few random sayings that the reader needs to put into an argument for the debator instead of having an argument put together by the debator for the reader.
    This is all criticism for the side you claim is winning. Nothing positive here for their side. Did you read our post?
    Futility: "More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and hopelessness; the other, to total extinction. Let us pray that we will have the wisdom to choose correctly. I speak, by the way, not with any sense of futility, but with a panicky conviction of the absolute meaninglessness of existence."
    - Woody Allen

    Hope:
    Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
    Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthyŚmeditate on these things.
    Philippians 4:6-8

  13. #13
    Over 6000 post club genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    6,993
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 554 Times in 415 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    461293
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholsmom View Post
    This is all criticism for the side you claim is winning. Nothing positive here for their side. Did you read our post?
    I haven't claimed either side is winning, yet, but the first post in the opening round is so weak that the opposing side is winning by default.


    I am getting ready to read the second post in the opening round now.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

  14. #14
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    I'm a transplant -- from East Tennessee to the High [Mojave] Desert in California.
    Posts
    45
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    151
    Wow! I've just finished reading both teams' initial posts, and I've got to say that GodsfreeWill and The Graphite (GG) are in big trouble!

    Before Round Two has even begun, Nicholsmom and WandereerInFog (NW) have blasted their opponents out of the water! Kudos to you two on your use of analysis and logic, and on your excellent debating skills.

    As a sidebar note, I myself am absolutely opposed to abortion, even when it's cloaked with whatever clever and canny euphemism the "wise" of this world can devise.

    MK

  15. #15
    Over 6000 post club genuineoriginal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    On a sea of glass mixed with fire in front of a throne.
    Posts
    6,993
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked 554 Times in 415 Posts

    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    461293
    The opening round finished strong in support of the position that it is NOT immoral to vote for McCain/Palin.

    The post first laid the groundwork for the question, clarified the reasoning behind the position, and contained a clear statement of the position held:
    After careful thought and consideration we have come to the opinion that the only instance in which voting could be definitively considered an immoral act is if a vote is cast for someone who God himself would not command us to obey as a legitimate authority.
    The post also clarified what was not being debated:
    While we are arguing that voting for McCain/Palin is not immoral, we are not arguing that doing so is a moral imperative. While we defend the position that a Christian voting for McCain/Palin is moral, we are not saying that Christians who choose to vote for other candidate, or even those who abstain from voting altogether, are doing anything immoral.
    The post had two questions:
    NW1: Has God ever put His people under a leader who was less than perfectly moral?
    The answer is yes, of course, but a better question is whether God has ever put His people under a leader who was completely immoral.
    The list can include the Pharoh at the time of the Exodus and Nebuchadnezzar.
    The list can also include Caligula and Nero, several Popes, Hitler, Stalin, and more.
    The only leader who will be perfectly moral is Jesus when He returns.

    NW2: Under what circumstances are God's people instructed to rebel against an immoral leader? Please be specific & use Scripture references.
    Nebuchadnezzar was an immoral leader, but the children of Israel were told to settle in Babylon and live under his rule.
    Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, (aka Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego) rebelled against Nebuchadnezzar by refusing to fall down and worship the golden image, but they did not rebel when they were thrown into the fiery furnace.
    Instead they accepted the consequences of their actions and Nebuchadnezzar's authority in setting their punishment for their rebellion.


    At this point of the Battle Royale, NW is clearly ahead, and GG is still trying to figure out what they are trying to say.
    Learn to read what is written.

    _____
    The people who are supposed to be experts and who claim to understand the science are precisely the people who are blind to the evidence.
    ~ Dr Freeman Dyson

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us