ECT A quote (true or false?)

A quote (true or false?)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

musterion

“Let me say again unequivocally that Jesus’ summons to deny self and follow him was an invitation to salvation, not . . . a second step of faith following salvation.” (Dr. John MacArthur, The Gospel According to Jesus, What is Authentic Faith? pp. 219.)

Danoh

Galatians 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3:3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

Would that that settled that...

Interplanner

No matter what, salvation always has the two parts: one deals with sin as a debt (justification). the other deals with personal change. the first motivates the second in people. the 'commands' of the 2nd are NEVER the way a person justifies their sin-debt.

It is chaos to confuse these things.

glorydaz

No matter what, salvation always has the two parts: one deals with sin as a debt (justification). the other deals with personal change. the first motivates the second in people. the 'commands' of the 2nd are NEVER the way a person justifies their sin-debt.

So God needed two shots to get the job done?

Last edited:

Interplanner

The sun's light and heat are two separate things too.

Dealing with past debt is not the same as dealing with present actions that are impure. Dealing with present faults cannot atone for sin. Dealing with present faults without empowerment by the love of Christ is sickly religion.

musterion

Disagreeing with MacArthur on two points.

1. It could not be more dispensationally wrong.

2. MacArthur's Lordship Salvation work gospel is the reason he wrote that.

Danoh

I agree.

It is obvious to me from your wording that you are familiar with MacArthur's having confused the difference between justification (which is once for all and eternal) and sanctification (which is the issue of the saint's built in access to being able to die to sin daily, and God's desire that he do so).

Part 1 - justification, now enables part 2 sanctification.

Romans 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God. 7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death. 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Galatians 2:19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

musterion

Dealing with past debt is not the same as dealing with present actions that are impure.

True enough, but both were covered at the Cross, if one believes the Gospel of grace. Which you do not.

Dealing with present faults cannot atone for sin.

MADs are the absolute LAST people on earth who need to be informed of that fact. It's the 99% of Christendom does in fact believe exactly that...constant re-repentance, confession ad infinitum, good works, prayer, "quiet time," "goin' to church," tithing, "fruit inspection," on and on the list goes. Endless. And every single person caught in that trap, whether they realize/admit it or not, are hoping for a scale balancing in the end, meaning they're trusting in the wrong thing to save them.

Dealing with present faults without empowerment by the love of Christ is sickly religion.

Where does Paul say it's "the love of Christ" that's the answer?

The actual answer, according to Paul, is the believer's CO-DEATH with Him of the old, and walking according to what is new.

People who do not believe the Gospel of grace cannot do that.

Interplanner

You do agree that salvation is the result of faith alone, don't you?

YOu need to define your terms Jerry. That's why I spell out at least two parts. Justification is by Christ alone. Because he did that work, the only thing/role we have is belief on it.

Personal transformation can involve some serious personal effort, but it NEVER justifies. It improves us, makes us better witnesses, cleanses us, that's all.

Define your terms.

SaulToPaul 2

YOu need to define your terms Jerry. That's why I spell out at least two parts. Justification is by Christ alone. Because he did that work, the only thing/role we have is belief on it.

Personal transformation can involve some serious personal effort, but it NEVER justifies. It improves us, makes us better witnesses, cleanses us, that's all.

Define your terms.

Can salvation be lost?