One Sentence Movie Reviews

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Magic (1978 starring Anthony Hopkins, Ann Margaret, Burgess Meredith)

Boys shouldn't play with dolls.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Race: touches on all the right notes, but so lightly that as with Riefenstahl's recreation of Owen's jump, it never quite feels real.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Movies (and one Pixar short) I saw over the break:

La La Land: Loved this movie, hated the ending - surreal and real are so intertwined it's hard to tell when it's live or when it's fantastically colorized Memorex, but I know for a fact those sunsets are real.

Fences: This one belongs to Viola Davis, a Rose who blooms in the midst of gritty, messy, imperfect Pittsburgh life.

Moonlight: Luminous... that's all, just luminous... and I found myself holding my breath waiting for him to talk, just like I did for Lee Chandler in Manchester by the Sea.

Hidden Figures: I wanted to stand up and cheer for the accomplishments of these amazing, fantastic, beautiful women - both the real life heroes and the women who portrayed them - and I thought Kevin Costner was entirely believable, and the sets, costumes, etc. really pulled off that 60s era vibe in a totally authentic way.

Dr. Strange: Had so much fun seeing this that I went back and saw it again; I'm not a big fan of the Marvel franchise, but this I enjoyed a lot - humor, action, special effects - and humor.

Manchester by the Sea: Soul-searing unrelieved by consolation as decisions and death ripple through a life... this movie doesn't wrap it up nicely, there is no balm for the hurt which he bears alone; with Lee Chandler it wouldn't be otherwise - he couldn't, it wasn't going to happen, and it was heartbreaking.

Piper: If you don't fall head over heels for this little ball of marshmallow fluff, you have no heart.

Last edited:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Dr. Strange: Had so much fun seeing this that I went back and saw it again; I'm not a big fan of the Marvel franchise, but this I enjoyed a lot - humor, action, special effects - and humor.

watched this yesterday on a laptop and was pleasantly surprised - never been a fan of dr. strange in comic book form

and yes, the humor was a pleasant surprise :thumb:

now i want to see it on the big screen

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Arrival: Language and time and Amy Adams aren't linear; they circle around to find their beginning in a mysterious and beautiful way.
Haven't seen much of anything this year at the movies. Was she snubbed or was the role simply not demanding enough? I suspect the understatement of Hanks cost him a shot at another Oscar.

Movies (and one Pixar short) I saw over the break:

La La Land: Loved this movie, hated the ending - surreal and real are so intertwined it's hard to tell when it's live or when it's fantastically colorized Memorex, but I know for a fact those sunsets are real.
Looks interesting, but I'm nervous now with your ending note...so of course I went and read through a plot summary. No. Whoever wrote that should be hung with piano wire. :mmph:

Fences: This one belongs to Viola Davis, a Rose who blooms in the midst of gritty, messy, imperfect Pittsburgh life.
Isn't she in the supporting actress category? I don't understand that...the buzz is decent for Washington as well.

Moonlight: Luminous... that's all, just luminous... and I found myself holding my breath waiting for him to talk, just like I did for Lee Chandler in Manchester by the Sea.
I'm not as motivated by this one.

Hidden Figures: I wanted to stand up and cheer for the accomplishments of these amazing, fantastic, beautiful women - both the real life heroes and the women who portrayed them - and I thought Kevin Costner was entirely believable, and the sets, costumes, etc. really pulled off that 60s era vibe in a totally authentic way.
Been wanting to see this since I heard they were making it. There's buzz over the failure of the lead to garner an Oscar nomination. Some people are wondering if the ongoing tv role has stolen some of her luster with voters.

Really, really tired of the superhero/special effects wagon, but it's Cumberbatch, so I'm in...this years trio of Sherlock was worthy too.

Manchester by the Sea: Soul-searing unrelieved by consolation as decisions and death ripple through a life... this movie doesn't wrap it up nicely, there is no balm for the hurt which he bears alone; with Lee Chandler it wouldn't be otherwise - he couldn't, it wasn't going to happen, and it was heartbreaking.
I'm all heartbroken and struggled out this year. Another one that will have to wait for a good while for me to find the right mood.

Piper: If you don't fall head over heels for this little ball of marshmallow fluff, you have no heart.
No idea what this is...ah, the little bird short. :)

I wish someone would do a short for The Hummingbird.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Split: a whole made better by the last part.

Coco:
sweet if not particularly filling.

Isle of Dogs:
howling good fun.

Sherlock Gnomes
: elementary.

Peter Rabbit: hare raising. :plain:

Paddington 2: couldn't bear it.

A Wrinkle in Time: but barely a ripple at the box office.

12 Strong: minutes, all in the credits.

Death Wish: But really, didn't the last Die Hard manage that on its own?

Arthur Brain

Maggie

A zombie film with Arnie as the lead? Cue lots of action filled mayhem and gory violence?

Not a bit of it.

Review:

A thoughtful, downbeat film where the zombie virus is more of a metaphor for crippling disease and the mechanisms the victims and parents put in place to deal with it and Arnie gives a performance I'd never have thought him capable of as a loving father in an impossible position. Romero fans might be disappointed with this although speaking as a fan of Dawn Of The Dead etc, I wasn't.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Ant Man and Wasp: proof that good things can come in small packages...with huge budgets.

Incredibles 2: less incredible is still a lot of fun (and for the whole family, no less).

Skyscraper/Rampage: the nation hasn't seen this much Johnson fatigue since Magic Mike.