Public shaming of drug addicts - Do you think its a deterant to drug use?

Public shaming of drug addicts - Do you think its a deterant to drug use?

• yes

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • no, please state why in thread

Votes: 13 68.4%

• Total voters

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
You still haven't shown us where He flat out tells us He has not.
*But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully, *knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, *for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine, *according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God which was committed to my trust. - 1 Timothy 1:8-11 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1Timothy1:8-11&version=NKJV

Sent from my Pixel XL using TheologyOnline mobile app

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
The Law has been loosely implemented in Christian society for most of it's history, which is why the Early to the Late Ages were so stiff- heresy was a penalty that could range from house arrest to being put to death, adultery was felonious, anon anon.

Modern Christians can't conceive that reality- instead, they try to pin the Law to the cross.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
*But we know that the law is good if one uses it lawfully, *knowing this: that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, *for fornicators, for sodomites, for kidnappers, for liars, for perjurers, and if there is any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine, *according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God which was committed to my trust. - 1 Timothy 1:8-11 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1Timothy1:8-11&version=NKJV

What does Paul say about the law in his teachings to the Galatians?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
In order to understand what Paul said to them, first we have to understand who Paul was writing to.

Was Paul writing to Jews? Or to Gentiles?

(Bear with me, I'm going to ask a couple of questions spread out over a few posts to get your response.)

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

In order to understand what Paul said to them, first we have to understand who Paul was writing to.

(Bear with me, I'm going to ask a couple of questions spread out over a few posts to get your response.)

In other words, are the Galatians Jews or gentiles?

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame

Interesting question. The Jews were under the law of the Old Covenant but the Gentiles were never under God's law.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
So were the Galatians Jews or Gentiles?

new Christians whom Paul is addressing were converts from paganism (Gal 4:89) who were now being enticed by other missionaries to add the observances of the Jewish law, including the rite of circumcision, to the cross of Christ as a means of salvation. For, since Paul’s visit, some other interpretation of Christianity had been brought to these neophytes, probably by converts from Judaism (the name “Judaizers” is sometimes applied to them); it has specifically been suggested that they were Jewish Christians who had come from the austere Essene sect.

Source

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
new Christians whom Paul is addressing were converts from paganism (Gal 4:89) who were now being enticed by other missionaries to add the observances of the Jewish law, including the rite of circumcision, to the cross of Christ as a means of salvation. For, since Paul’s visit, some other interpretation of Christianity had been brought to these neophytes, probably by converts from Judaism (the name “Judaizers” is sometimes applied to them); it has specifically been suggested that they were Jewish Christians who had come from the austere Essene sect.

Source
So then the people whom Paul were addressing were Gentile Christians?

Did Paul ever write letters to non-Christian Gentiles?

Truster

Addict has a root meaning that has been lost and forgotten. Addict comes from the root word meaning ajudged. Anyone who has any form of addiction has been judged and is under condemnation. Nothing and no one can reverse the judgement. I was under the judgement of addiction for 30 years, but once my sin was forgiven the judgement was lifted. To the praise of the glory of His grace.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Seems that Paul was writing letters to warn against people who try to put Christians under Jewish law. Which is the salient point here.
Then you've completely misunderstood me.

I do not say that Christians should be under the Law. They should not be.

What I AM saying is that the World is under the Law.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Seems that Paul was writing letters to warn against people who try to put Christians under Jewish law. Which is the salient point here.
As far as I'm aware, Paul never wrote to non-Gentile Christians, or non-Christian Gentiles.

Meaning what he said about the Law that was put in the Bible is ONLY applicable to Christians who are Gentiles.

So what He says about the Law being used by us is that we should use it to bring others to Christ, because through the Law all are condemned, but through the Spirit life is given.

That's why I posted the passage from 1 Timothy.

Last edited:

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Being homeless is a dire situation- one that you won't understand if you've never been there.

You think it's so easy- you just find work and prosper :plain:
But the only reason you have anything is because of the legacy handed to you; your father, and your grandparents, and those before them.
In my case, my mother.

But try being on a picnic table, or in the woods, with nowhere to go- you have five dollars you either stole or panhandled from someone so you can eat, but instead you buy beer.
Because no amount of food can extinguish your depression- you drink to survive the night, and so that's the way it goes_

Jesus is the champion of the poor- the Bible speaks truer to the poor; that is why Christ kept company with them and not the others

Last edited:

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
As far as I'm aware, Paul never wrote to non-Gentile Christians, or non-Christian Gentiles.

Meaning what he said about the Law that was put in the Bible is ONLY applicable to Christians who are Gentiles.

So what He says about the Law being used by us is that we should use it to bring others to Christ, because through the Law all are condemned, but through the Spirit life is given.

That's why I posted the passage from 1 Timothy.

While this brief aside was interesting, it did nothing to support the notion of shaming people to change their behavior. Christ said this at one point:

Matthew 25:44-46New International Version (NIV)
44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

So, when we ignore those in need, we ignore Jesus.
When we shame those in need of help, we shame Jesus.
When we help those in need, we faithfully serve Jesus.

Its easy to shame people. It is much harder to actually help them and Jesus expects for us to actually help. As best we can.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Fentanyl Crisis: Columbus, Ohio Has One Fatal Overdose Per Day

The drug that killed Prince is slaying people at a rate of nearly one a day in Ohio's capital city.

Fentanyl has already figured in 55 fatal drug overdoses in Columbus and surrounding Franklin County in January and February, the local coroner reported Friday.

"The headline is that this is almost half the total number of fentanyl-related deaths we logged all of last year," Franklin County Coroner spokeswoman Tia Moretti told NBC News.

And at this "unprecedented" rate, Moretti said, Columbus is poised to rip up the local record book as a drug that has cut like a scythe through much of Ohio wreaks havoc on the buckle of the Buckeye State.

"This is killing us," Moretti said.

Fentanyl is a powerful painkiller that the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration says is 25 to 50 times more powerful than heroin and packs 50 to 100 times more punch than morphine.

One of the strongest opiates on the market, it's often prescribed post-surgery and it is so addictive it turns normally law-abiding people into criminals who will do almost anything to score more.

Typically, dealers cut heroin with fentanyl to boost profits and give it more kick. But more and more, investigators are finding it in marijuana and other drugs, Moretti said.

"What we do know is we are seeing more and more mixing drugs with fentanyl, even if the drug of choice might not be an opiate," she said. "Some people are even taking it straight. The problem is you can order it online. It's so much more potent."

Moretti spoke out after the Franklin County Opiate Crisis Task Force met to come up with a strategy to combat a plague that has ripped across much of the Rust Belt. The group is expected to come up with recommendations in about a month.

"We're not running out of space for bodies, but what's happening here is happening all over Ohio," she said.

Is it ever. The drug overdose rate in Ohio was 29.9 per 100,000 people in 2015, the most recent federal figures available.

This week, NBC reported that in Stark County the local coroner had a "cold storage mass casualty trailer" trucked up from Columbus to store bodies after they ran out of space in their morgue. Nearly half of those bodies were drug overdose victims.

The chief culprit in Stark County appears to be a tranquilizer called carfentanil that is 100 times more potent than fentanyl and used to sedate big animals like elephants and tigers.

Coroners in the counties of Ashtabula, Cuyahoga (where Cleveland is located) and Summit (where Akron is located) have also had to resort to storing bodies in trailers because their morgues were too jammed.

Sadly, Ohio is not alone in dealing with a deadly opiate epidemic.

West Virginia, New Hampshire and Kentucky have even higher drug overdose death rates, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

And cities like Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania saw an explosion in the number of deadly overdoses after drug dealers began peddling heroin cut with fentanyl.

Prince died last April of an accidental overdose of fentanyl. He was being treated at the time for opioid withdrawal, NBC reported.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Children find parents dead of apparent overdose in Ohio home

CENTERVILLE, Ohio— Authorities say a commercial airline pilot and his wife have died of an apparent overdose from the powerful synthetic drug fentanyl.

Police say the bodies of 36-year-old Brian Halye and 34-year-old Courtney Halye were found by their children Thursday morning in Centerville, about 50 miles (80 kilometers) north of Cincinnati.

In one of two 911 calls placed just before 8 a.m., the oldest of their children is talking to a dispatcher while his sisters can be heard crying in the background.

Kids find parents dead in bedroom; coroner suspects heroin-fentanyl overdose https://t.co/qifrBf7J9M pic.twitter.com/c0kg5xJ8QX

— WLWT.com (@WLWT) March 17, 2017

The Dayton Daily News reports Brian Halye was a pilot for Spirit Airlines, which told the newspaper Halye last flew March 10.

Halye had been a pilot with Spirit Airlines for over nine years.

“Our hearts go out to the family, friends, and colleagues of Captain Halye,” the airline said in a statement.

When asked about the company’s drug testing policy by CNN, an airline spokesman declined to comment. He also declined to comment on when Halye was last tested for drugs.

A county coroner’s investigator says the preliminary cause of death appears to be an overdose of fentanyl, an opiate many times more powerful than heroin. Centerville police say drug paraphernalia was found inside the home.

The final cause of death remains undetermined pending results from toxicology testing, said Ken Betz, director of the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Fentanyl death grip expands to other illegal drugs

CLEVELAND - Federal officials are sounding an alarm about a new trend that significantly expands the number of people who may die from an accidental drug overdose.

Until now, officials believed that heroin users were by far at the greatest risk of dying from such an overdose - particularly if they used heroin that had been mixed with fentanyl - an opiate that is much more potent than heroin itself.

While the risk to heroin users has not diminished, the threat may be expanding greatly to people who use other recreational drugs.

"It's our belief that the people who are using cocaine, and overdosing and dying, don't know that there's fentanyl laced into the cocaine, says Carole Rendon, the U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Ohio.

And the threat now expands even past cocaine users.

"We are now seeing fentanyl laced in with marijuana," Rendon says. "And in Painesville, we had three young people who overdosed. Fortunately, it wasn't fatal. They were able to revive them with Narcan (an antidote drug)."

Why the trend is occurring now is unclear. But, with more people dying in Ohio from accidental opiate and heroin overdoses then in any other state, officials are looking for what to do next.

"We as a society have to come up with some new answers," says Lake County Prosecutor Charles Coulson.

Coulson says felonies in Lake County have doubled since 2010 - and he attributes ninety percent of all crime he sees today to drugs.

"It has increased all other crimes substantially," he says, as users commit robberies to feed their habits, and dealers commit violent acts to try to protect their territory.

And authorities are now saying illegal drug use is more dangerous to the user than ever because of the mixing of drugs with fentanyl.

"We don't want people dropping dead in our community," Rendon says, "so it's important to get the word out that there is this new, incredibly dangerous phenomenon out there. And that is people who are using a drug that they think they know how to use, that they think is relatively safe, is not safe."

**Editor's note: After further investigation, the Painesville Twp. Fire Department said, "The people involved in these incidents later admitted to the use of other drugs, in addition to smoking marijuana. Lab results found no evidence of laced marijuana. Lab results did find crack cocaine and other drugs in the residence."

Revelation 9:21 Nor did they repent of their murders, their magic arts, their sexual immorality or their thefts.

In most translations, what is stated magic arts here, is translated as soceries, however the word that it comes from in the original language is the same word for pharmacy/drugs/intoxicants which is the greek word : pharmakeia

In other words at the end, they wont repent of their murders, their sexual immorality and their drug use.

My my my, aren't those 3 at the top of the lists these days with protests to stand for murder (abortion) gay and transgenderism, and rampant drug use and push for open drug use/legalization.

Repent (turn from mans ways to His way - Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-8, and be saved (Romans 10:9-10)