biology, not your subjective "feelings"

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And you knew where you were then
Girls were girls, and men were men

Several good points in this video.

"I'm not going to modify basic biology because it threatens your subjective sense of what you are."
(In other words, don't tell me I must pretend you are something you are not just to satisfy your "feelings". "Feelings" do not trump truth.)

MrDante

And you knew where you were then
Girls were girls, and men were men

Several good points in this video.

"I'm not going to modify basic biology because it threatens your subjective sense of what you are."
(In other words, don't tell me I must pretend you are something you are not just to satisfy your "feelings". "Feelings" do not trump truth.)

The best point the speaker in the video makes is that an argument from authority is just bad logic and has no place in any sort of rational discussion. He then goes on to produce an argument from authority.

Danoh

The best point the speaker in the video makes is that an argument from authority is just bad logic and has no place in any sort of rational discussion. He then goes on to produce an argument from authority.

Yep. He does that in his every speech.

And all his is, is a one-sided bias that those who subscribe to same cannot but find a voice in.

In contrast to the just as often one-sided bias he is nevertheless just as much ever attempting to argue some supposed, actually equally self-deluded "objectivity" against.

Extremists...

Left, right; you name it.

For that is what all flavors of extremist ever views as being "objectivity" - his or her particular extreme.

Nothing new...

Or as one man had found himself having to remind his own some two thousand years ago.

Galatians 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
This argument seems to presume that male v. female is all or nothing. Not sure basic biology works that way. One of my kids is a PhD geneticist and I think she would disagree with that premise. Unless of course you can show us that particular time in development when sex becomes one way or the other.

glassjester

What was his argument from authority?

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
biology, not your subjective "feelings"

If biology "trumps" subjective feelings, we'd better be all prepared to have "gender" police patrolling the public washrooms and change-rooms doing strip-searches!

glassjester

What exactly do you think he's doing on that pulpit? He doesn't acknowledge credentials in given fields and he even says he isn't going to cite the bible as counter, so what does that leave him with?

If he'd done that, he would be making an argument from authority.

Really. You're saying he has to to cite his credentials in order to not be making an argument from authority? That makes no sense.

glassjester

If there's any authority he appealed to, then it's the authority of objective fact. And that's an authority we (should) all agree on.

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Absent a birth defect, it works exactly that way, i am assuming you failed biology in high school.

Actually, I did quite well in biology all the way through an MS in the subject. But if you can cite to the scientific literature for your understanding of a yes/no, on/off. male/female switch during development that would be interesting.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Actually, I did quite well in biology all the way through an MS in the subject. But if you can cite to the scientific literature for your understanding of a yes/no, on/off. male/female switch during development that would be interesting.

If you were as well-versed in biology as you claim, you'd know that there is no "switch during development"; sex is determined at conception.