Recreation Marijuana within a Christian Worldview

Tattooed Theist

TT, gotta disagree with you on this point...alcohol is a far more destructive, dangerous, and deadly substance than marijuana. From a health viewpoint, or violence, or accidents, marijuana is actually quite benign when compared to the social and health problems caused by alcohol.

I think you misunderstood me, my point is that which you replied. I was comparing it to alcohol and stating that alcohol is clearly more destructive. My apologies if that wasn't clear.

Pot is fine and dandy !!
Amen.

Amount of people in rehab for marijuana: 0
Because it's so destructive and all :chuckle:

It's a recreational drug with no severe consequences in relevance to alcohol.
The reason it is seen as nonetheless taboo: because it is not alcohol.

That is basically the rationale of people :rolleyes:

Agreed, marijuana seems to be illegal due to the fact that it would greatly harm the pharmaceutical companies profits.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior

It looks like you're looking for someone to help give you an excuse to get hiiiiigh again my friend. Not a wise move for someone who is a recovering heroin addict.

Do you own research on the Bible and pharmaceuticals and let us know what you find.

A poor assumption, due to the fact that I will not smoke weed again.

So your pro marijuana OP wasn't for you, it was for others?
http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...an-Worldview&p=4845665&viewfull=1#post4845665

You know what I say TT: If in your mind using recreational drugs is good enough for someone else's brother, sister, son, daughter, mother, father, friend or loved one, it damn well better be good enough for you.

I don't an excuse, for I am fully capable of deciding for myself.
I desire opinions on a relevant topic, plain and simple.

That's the problem with mankind, they think that they can decide for themselves without first checking with God.

Did you look for information on pharmaceuticals from Holy Scripture like I suggested?

Never mind:

Quote Originally Posted by patrick jane
Pot is fine and dandy !!

If you want Christianity to be anything that you want it to be, you've come to the right place.

Tattooed Theist

TT, gotta disagree with you on this point...alcohol is a far more destructive, dangerous, and deadly substance than marijuana. From a health viewpoint, or violence, or accidents, marijuana is actually quite benign when compared to the social and health problems caused by alcohol.

You misunderstand my post.
I was pointing out exactly what you did, that alcohol is certainly more destructive.

Pot is fine and dandy !!
Amen!

Amount of people in rehab for marijuana: 0
Because it's so destructive and all :chuckle:

It's a recreational drug with no severe consequences in relevance to alcohol.
The reason it is seen as nonetheless taboo: because it is not alcohol.

That is basically the rationale of people :rolleyes:

exactly.

Tattooed Theist

So your pro marijuana OP wasn't for you, it was for others?
http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...an-Worldview&p=4845665&viewfull=1#post4845665

You know what I say TT: If in your mind using recreational drugs is good enough for someone else's brother, sister, son, daughter, mother, father, friend or loved one, it damn well better be good enough for you.

That's the problem with mankind, they think that they can decide for themselves without first checking with God.

Um no, that's a very ignorant way to interpret someones opinion on something.
I believe mint toothpaste is okay for my fiend, brother, sister, mom and dad, doesn't mean I like that crap
:cheers:

I have no biblical problem with marijuana because there isn't any biblical issue with marijuana.

Did you look for information on pharmaceuticals from Holy Scripture like I suggested?
Marijuana is not a pharmaceutical....

phar·ma·ceu·ti·cal
ˌfärməˈso͞odək(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: pharmaceutical

of or relating to medicinal drugs, or their preparation, use, or sale.

noun
noun: pharmaceutical; plural noun: pharmaceuticals

a compound manufactured for use as a medicinal drug.

Let me ask you this: Do you believe God condones the use of Alcohol?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Another sign of a dope user: laughing incessantly at things that aren't remotely funny.

It's funny watching people labor under plain falsehoods.

So people that go into rehab centers for various unwanted desires and behaviors don't specifically talk about what type of addiction they're attempting to overcome?

Those places are full of alcoholics and dope addicts. Marijuana is not a subject because it is a non-issue, nobody is there for it and it's not taken seriously either by the patients or the staff.

A lot of people like yourself just feed into each others arbitrary bias.

You've had a hard life: being mentored by a homosexual, hanging out in 'gay' bars with him; undoubtedly you've seen your fair share of rehab centers.

It was not hardly how you put it. You treat it like some demented case or something, yet another ridiculous thing about people like you. I wasn't 'mentored' and that is completely irrelevant.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
I don't believe marijuana should be 'legal', it should be 'decriminalized'. A person should not be charged and convicted of a crime for it.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote: Originally posted by aCultureWarrior

Um no, that's a very ignorant way to interpret someones opinion on something.
I believe mint toothpaste is okay for my fiend, brother, sister, mom and dad, doesn't mean I like that crap
:cheers:

You really need to work on your analogies my friend. I've never heard of anyone checking themselves into a rehab center for "mint toothpaste addiction", nor have I ever heard of someone being pulled over for reckless driving and the officer asking:

"Sir, did you brush your teeth with mint toothpaste?"

I have no biblical problem with marijuana because there isn't any biblical issue with marijuana.

Marijuana is not a pharmaceutical....

phar·ma·ceu·ti·cal
ˌfärməˈso͞odək(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: pharmaceutical

of or relating to medicinal drugs, or their preparation, use, or sale.

noun
noun: pharmaceutical; plural noun: pharmaceuticals

a compound manufactured for use as a medicinal drug.

There are a lot of things that Holy Scripture doesn't speak specifically about, but the subject is covered.

Since you haven't done your homework like I suggested, here is an article that explains it all:

What Does the Bible Say about Drugs and Drinking Alcohol?

...Scripture does indirectly address the illicit use of drugs, and connects it to drunkenness, as per the following verses, where the Greek word for “witchcraft” is pharmakeia, which includes “the use or the administering of drugs,” “poisoning [by drugs]” (Thayer’s Lexicon), and the variant, pharmakon, in Revelation 9:21 focuses upon “the use of certain potions or drugs” and the casting of spells (Louw Nida Greek Lexicon).This same root word is also translated as “sorcerer” and “sorceries” (see Rev. 9:21, 18:23, 21:8, 22:15). The translation “witchcraft” is used in most English versions because pharmakeia also referred to the witchcraft or sorcery in which drugs were used for potions, spells, etc. Understanding that pharmakeia is related to the use of drugs, notice how it appears, along with drunkenness, in the list of the “works of the flesh” in Galatians.
Galatians 5:19-21
(19) The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;
(20) idolatry and witchcraft [pharmakeia]; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions
(21) and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Recreational and hallucinogenic drugs were not invented in Haight-Ashbury in the 1960s. They have been weapons in Satan’s arsenal for thousands of years, and they have contributed significantly to the destruction of millions of people’s lives, as both Scripture and history confirm.
There are other biblical truths that make it clear that the use of recreational and hallucinogenic drugs is harmful. We are to take care of our bodies so as to be able to serve God for many years, and drugs are physically debilitating. Also, we are to steward the financial resources that God gives us, and using our money to buy such drugs is hardly good stewardship...
Read more: http://www.truthortradition.com/articles/what-does-the-bible-say-about-drugs-and-drinking-alcohol

Also keep in mind that today's marijuana isn't the same dope that the hippies were smoking in the 60's, it's can be 100 times stronger.

Let me ask you this: Do you believe God condones the use of Alcohol?

Addressed in the above article under drunkenness. In addition, unlike marijuana which is very harmful,

https://www.addict-help.com/cannabis/can-you-get-addicted-to-weed.asp

the responsible consumption of wine, beer and even hard liquor does have health benefits.

My turn to ask a question:

As a recovering heroin addict, did you start off by shooting up smack or by chance did you graduate up to heroin after smoking marijuana?

I know the answer, you don't have to answer.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
That 'gateway drug' nonsense is best left in the 90's :chuckle:
Programs like D.A.R.E actually made marijuana use go up.

theophilus

1 Cor. 10:31 So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, 33 just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved.

How does one smoke pot to the glory of God?

DavidK

- Moderation is key, I myself drink, but I limit myself to 1 - 2 drinks per day - if at all, and I do not ever drink to intoxication.

Isn't this a key difference? You can drink alcohol and not get drunk, but you can't smoke pot and not get buzzed, right?

- I don't find anything in scripture that would make one completely reject marijuana (especially if they already accept alcohol as morally okay.)

Alcohol is morally okay, but intoxication isn't (Eph 5). So how does marijuana fit?

- If use becomes something that inhibits a Christian from obeying God's will, hurts their effect on others, or causes another brother/sister to stumble, then it would become a problem.

Marijuana lowers inhibitions. It makes behavior one would normally reject seem reasonable. This is the reason given in Ephesians 5 to avoid intoxication, because drunkenness leads to debauchery. How is marijuana use any different?

Self-control is a precious fruit of the Spirit. Wouldn't taking something that dampens that inhibit a Christian from obeying God's will?

Last edited:

Tattooed Theist

1 Cor. 10:31 So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 32 Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, 33 just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved.

How does one smoke pot to the glory of God?

How does one eat McDonalds to the glory of God?

Ministry, we get in the argument of what is to worldy of a Christian to make a difference?
If I can drink responsibly and minister to those inside a bar then am I in the wrong?

theophilus

How does one eat McDonalds to the glory of God?

They thank Him for their food (such as it is). 1 Tim. 4:4 For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude; 5 for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer.

If I can drink responsibly and minister to those inside a bar then am I in the wrong?

I was a bartender for many years. Most of the people who were "patrons" came in to "relax," find a "date," "dance," score some weed (or something else), party like it's 1999, drown a sorrow, get into a fight, escape a spouse for an evening, sulk...there are many reason why people go into bars.

Most of those probably aren't Christians and assuredly don't go into bars to be evangelized or proselytized.

To go into a bar and perform "ministry" is, at best, an opportunity for "lost" people to see that Christians are just like everybody else (in the world and in the bar). They see you in a bar, you profess to be a Christian, they justify their presence as something that Christians do (by your example), too. Is that not causing a potential brother to stumble?

I get "all thing to all men that I might save some" and think that it is dis-honoring to our Lord for lost men and women to see a Christian in a bar drinking. Honestly, if you want to minister in a bar you should probably drink a non-alcoholic beverage. It's less likely to tarnish your witness.

Think about this, it's easier for a sinner to drag you into Hell than it is for a Saint to drag a sinner into Heaven.

Eph. 5:11 Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them; 12 for it is disgraceful even to speak of the things which are done by them in secret. 13 But all things become visible when they are exposed by the light, for everything that becomes visible is light. 14 For this reason it says,

“Awake, sleeper,
And arise from the dead,
And Christ will shine on you.”

15 Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, 16 making the most of your time, because the days are evil. 17 So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. 18 And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; 20 always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father; 21 and be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.

Tattooed Theist

Isn't this a key difference? You can drink alcohol and not get drunk, but you can't smoke pot and not get buzzed, right?

Alcohol is morally okay, but intoxication isn't (Eph 5). So how does marijuana fit?

Interesting choice in words. "buzzed" is what we call drinking before you're drunk, which most people feel after a very small amount of alcohol. So then, is being "buzzed" on alcohol wrong?
Also, I would argue that it is possible to smoke/use marijuana and not get silly.

Self-control is a precious fruit of the Spirit. Wouldn't taking something that dampens that inhibit a Christian from obeying God's will?

Absolutely! Which is why doing something in a "responsible" manner is the key term when discussing any topic such as this.

Tattooed Theist

They thank Him for their food (such as it is). 1 Tim. 4:4 For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with gratitude; 5 for it is sanctified by means of the word of God and prayer.

Even though McDonalds is more harmful on the human body than marijuana?
Also I've italicized and made RED the text that I find interesting for you to use.
Marijuana is made by God, from seed to bud it is natural and un-tainted my man until use.

I was a bartender for many years. Most of the people who were "patrons" came in to "relax," find a "date," "dance," score some weed (or something else), party like it's 1999, drown a sorrow, get into a fight, escape a spouse for an evening, sulk...there are many reason why people go into bars.

Most of those probably aren't Christians and assuredly don't go into bars to be evangelized or proselytized.

To go into a bar and perform "ministry" is, at best, an opportunity for "lost" people to see that Christians are just like everybody else (in the world and in the bar). They see you in a bar, you profess to be a Christian, they justify their presence as something that Christians do (by your example), too. Is that not causing a potential brother to stumble?

I get "all thing to all men that I might save some" and think that it is dis-honoring to our Lord for lost men and women to see a Christian in a bar drinking. Honestly, if you want to minister in a bar you should probably drink a non-alcoholic beverage. It's less likely to tarnish your witness.

Think about this, it's easier for a sinner to drag you into Hell than it is for a Saint to drag a sinner into Heaven.

Although I see your point, I would greatly argue it.
Most people who are "evangelized" are not intending to be evangelized.
My wife is a a bartender, and also a Christian.
I met her because my tattoo shop shared a parking lot with the bar she worked at, she was not a Christian when I met her. Our meeting took place at that bar, where I had something "she wanted" but didn't know what it was until we discussed my faith in Jesus.

Should I have not accepted her invite to visit her at the bar for a meal because I'm too Godly to step inside a place full of "sinners?"
Absolutely not.

When you put a cap on what God can do in ANY environment you are missing the chance to be a light in a dark culture. Heaven becomes less crowded when we take an approach such as this.

Eph. 5:11 Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them; 12 for it is disgraceful even to speak of the things which are done by them in secret. 13 But all things become visible when they are exposed by the light, for everything that becomes visible is light. 14 For this reason it says,

Precisely, which is why we are called to bring our light - that is the spirit inside of us- into places that are dark.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Even though McDonalds is more harmful on the human body than marijuana?

Blasphemy!

product-big-mac.png

https://d1nqx6es26drid.cloudfront.net/app/uploads/2015/04/04043402/product-big-mac.png