The Law of Moses Has Not Been Abolished

cgaviria

BANNED
Banned
The Law of Moses, which is the first five books of the Bible, otherwise called the Torah, or the law, has not been abolished,
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. (Matthew 5:17 [NIV])
For even when Paul identifies who will not inherit the kingdom of God,
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. (1 Corinthians 6:9-10 [NASB])
He is referring to these specific commands of the law,
...if she begins to fornicate...she shall be burnt with fire. (Leviticus 21:9 [JB2000])
"You shall have no other gods before Me. "You shall not make for yourself an idol...
(Exodus 20:3-4 [NASB])
“You shall not commit adultery. (Exodus 20:14 [ESV])
“A woman shall not wear a man’s garment, nor shall a man put on a woman’s cloak...
(Deuteronomy 22:5 [ESV])
If a man lies with a male as with a woman...they shall surely be put to death... (Leviticus 20:13 [ESV])
“You shall not steal. (Exodus 20:15 [ESV])
"You shall not covet...anything that belongs to your neighbor." (Exodus 20:17 [NASB])
'You shall not go about as a slanderer among your people... (Leviticus 19:16 [NASB])
"'Do not defraud or rob your neighbor... (Leviticus 19:13 [NIV])
And even drunkenness is revealed to be sin in the law, in which case Lot, whose mind became darkened and unaware because of drinking wine in excess, then also had sexual relations with his daughters as a result of his drunkenness,
So that night they made their father drunk with wine, and the older daughter came and had sexual relations with her father. But he was not aware that she had sexual relations with him and then got up. (Genesis 19:33 [NETBIBLE])
If a man lies with his father’s wife, he has uncovered his father’s nakedness; both of them shall surely be put to death... (Leviticus 20:11 [ESV])
And even when Paul commands wives to wear head coverings,
but every wife who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, since it is the same as if her head were shaven. (1 Corinthians 11:5 [ESV])
Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a wife to pray to God with her head uncovered? (1 Corinthians 11:13 [ESV])
He was referencing this passage in the law,
Rebekah also looked up and saw Isaac. She got down from her camel and asked the servant, "Who is that man in the field coming to meet us?" "He is my master," the servant answered. So she took her veil and covered herself. (Genesis 24:64-65 [NIV])
In which case, a head covering is a sign of submission of a wife to her husband, for the law also subjected wives to their husbands,
To the woman he said, "I will make your pains in childbearing very severe; with painful labor you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you." (Genesis 3:16 [NIV])
Hence why Paul also tells wives to submit to their husbands in reference to the law,
Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. (Colossians 3:18 [ESV])
let your wives keep silent in the assemblies, for it has not been permitted for them to speak; but let them be in subjection, as the law also says. (1 Corinthians 14:34 [WEB])
And so, in another passage, Paul also referenced the law concerning speaking evil against authorities,
Paul replied, "Brothers, I did not realize that he was the high priest; for it is written: 'Do not speak evil about the ruler of your people.'" (Acts 23:5 [NIV])
"Do not blaspheme God or curse the ruler of your people. (Exodus 22:28 [NIV])
And Jesus Christ also referenced the law concerning each sin Satan tested him with,
But he answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’” (Matthew 4:4 [ESV])
And he humbled you and let you hunger and fed you with manna, which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that he might make you know that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD. (Deuteronomy 8:3 [ESV])
Jesus said to him, “Again it is written, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.’” (Matthew 4:7 [ESV])
“You shall not put the LORD your God to the test, as you tested him at Massah. (Deuteronomy 6:16 [ESV])
Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'" (Matthew 4:10 [NIV])
You shall fear the LORD your God. You shall serve him and hold fast to him... (Deuteronomy 10:20 [ESV])
And so, this is why whoever discards the least of these commands of the law, will be called least in the kingdom of the heavens,
Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:19 [NIV])
Because this very law, that has not been abolished, and reveals everything that is sin,
What then shall we say? That the law is sin? By no means! Yet if it had not been for the law, I would not have known sin. For I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.” (Romans 7:7 [ESV])
...since through the law comes knowledge of sin. (Romans 3:20 [ESV])
And is said to be perfect,
The law of the LORD is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple. (Psalm 19:7 [NIV])
And came from heaven,
"You came down on Mount Sinai; you spoke to them from heaven. You gave them regulations and laws that are just and right, and decrees and commands that are good. (Nehemiah 9:13 [NIV])
Will be the law that all will be judged by, since all the dead who are resurrected at the great white throne judgment, will all be judged by works in accordance to this law,
And the sea gave up the dead who were in it; and death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them; and each of them were judged according to their works. (Revelation 20:13 [BLB])
Which is why not one letter, nor one stroke of a pen, will disappear from the law until heaven and earth disappear,
For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:18 [NIV])
Because this is the law of this heaven and earth, before the new heaven and earth comes into existence, in which case not only will this law disappear, but also the old heaven, the old earth, and the old covenant,
By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear. (Hebrews 8:13 [NIV])
Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. (Revelation 20:11 [NIV])
Yet the old covenant, whose sign was the circumcision of the flesh,
Here is my covenant that you are to observe, between me and you and your descendants: Every male among you is to be circumcised. (Genesis 17:10 [ISV])
And came with the blood of animals,
Therefore not even the first covenant was inaugurated without blood. For when every commandment of the law had been declared by Moses to all the people, he took the blood of calves and goats, with water and scarlet wool and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book itself and all the people, (Hebrews 9:18 [ESV])
Foreshadowed a new and greater covenant, whose sign is the circumcision of the heart,
"The days are coming," declares the LORD, "when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah. (Jeremiah 31:31 [NIV])
And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules.(Ezekiel 36:26-27 [ESV])
Circumcise yourselves to the LORD; remove the foreskin of your hearts, O men of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem; lest my wrath go forth like fire, and burn with none to quench it, because of the evil of your deeds.” (Jeremiah 4:4 [ESV])
Which is a circumcision made without hands by being born again into the baptism of the holy spirit,
No, a person is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a person's praise is not from other people, but from God. (Romans 2:29 [NIV])
And came with the blood of Jesus Christ,
for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. (Matthew 26:28 [ESV])
Which is why it is not by works of the law that anyone is saved,
know that a person is not justified by the works of the law...(Galatians 2:16 [NIV])
Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God's sight by the works of the law... (Romans 3:20 [NIV])
Because all have sinned,
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, (Romans 3:23 [NIV])
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. (1 John 1:8 [KJV])
And have thus become cursed by the law,
For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." (Galatians 3:10 [NIV])
But it is by receiving the holy spirit, which comes through belief in Jesus Christ, that any are saved,
But we ought to give thanks to God always concerning you, brothers beloved by the Lord, that God has chosen you from the beginning unto salvation in the sanctification of the Spirit, and by faith of the truth; (2 Thessalonians 2:13 [BLB])
In which case, whoever receives the holy spirit, is then no longer under law, but under spirit,
But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law. (Galatians 5:18 [BSB])
You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him. (Romans 8:9 [ESV])
For just as the holy spirit caused Saul to become another man and to prophesy,
Then the Spirit of the LORD will rush upon you, and you will prophesy with them and be turned into another man. (1 Samuel 10:6 [ESV])
And also caused others to prophesy upon receiving the holy spirit,
And when Paul had laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking in tongues and prophesying. (Acts 19:6 [ESV])
And the LORD came down in a cloud, and spake unto him, and took of the spirit that was upon him, and gave it unto the seventy elders: and it came to pass, that, when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied, and did not cease.
(Numbers 11:25 [KJV])
So does the new holy spirit of the new covenant, that was first given to the apostles, causes a man to not only prophesy as the spirit given to prophets of old did, but also to obey the law,
And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules. (Ezekiel 36:26 [ESV])
Because the heart of stone, which the holy spirit removes, is the heart with evil desires that are also the cause of sin, which is why whoever walks by holy spirit no longer walks by flesh,
[1] In nothing then is there now condemnation to the ones in Christ Jesus, not walking according to flesh, but according to spirit. [2] For the law of the spirit of the life in Christ Jesus freed me from the law of the sin and of death. (Romans 8:1-2 [ABP])
Because this flesh nature, which is also the heart of stone, is the foreskin of the heart that the circumcision made by the spirit removes, which then frees from sin,
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. (Romans 6:18)
Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. (John 8:34-36 [NIV])
And so, as opposed to doing works of the law, which no one can or has obeyed on their own, full obedience to the law is found in mere belief in Jesus Christ and rebirth in holy spirit, hence why whoever becomes born of God by receiving the holy spirit can no longer sin,
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother. (1 John 3:9-10 [KJV])
Because whoever becomes sanctified by receiving the holy spirit, which comes through belief in Jesus Christ, becomes perfected,
For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified. (Hebrews 10:14 [ESV])
And upholds the law by the obedience that the spirit causes,
Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law. (Romans 3:31 [NIV])
in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. (Romans 8:4 [NIV])

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Galatians 3:11-12 KJV
(11) But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
(12) And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

cgaviria

BANNED
Banned
Galatians 3:11-12 KJV
(11) But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
(12) And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

Indeed, hence why it is necessary to receive the spirit of God, to then be fully obedient to the law, hence,

And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules. (Ezekiel 36:36 [ESV])

And thus fulfill,

Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. (1 John 3:9 [KJV])

More on this here http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?123267-Born-in-Spirit-Perfection-Sanctification-Sin-No-More .

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
The Law of Moses, which is the first five books of the Bible, otherwise called the Torah, or the law, has not been abolished,
Spoiler

For even when Paul identifies who will not inherit the kingdom of God,

He is referring to these specific commands of the law,

And even drunkenness is revealed to be sin in the law, in which case Lot, whose mind became darkened and unaware because of drinking wine in excess, then also had sexual relations with his daughters as a result of his drunkenness,

And even when Paul commands wives to wear head coverings,

He was referencing this passage in the law,

In which case, a head covering is a sign of submission of a wife to her husband, for the law also subjected wives to their husbands,

Hence why Paul also tells wives to submit to their husbands in reference to the law,

And so, in another passage, Paul also referenced the law concerning speaking evil against authorities,

And Jesus Christ also referenced the law concerning each sin Satan tested him with,

And so, this is why whoever discards the least of these commands of the law, will be called least in the kingdom of the heavens,

Because this very law, that has not been abolished, and reveals everything that is sin,

And is said to be perfect,

And came from heaven,

Will be the law that all will be judged by, since all the dead who are resurrected at the great white throne judgment, will all be judged by works in accordance to this law,

Which is why not one letter, nor one stroke of a pen, will disappear from the law until heaven and earth disappear,

Because this is the law of this heaven and earth, before the new heaven and earth comes into existence, in which case not only will this law disappear, but also the old heaven, the old earth, and the old covenant,

Yet the old covenant, whose sign was the circumcision of the flesh,

And came with the blood of animals,

Foreshadowed a new and greater covenant, whose sign is the circumcision of the heart,

Which is a circumcision made without hands by being born again into the baptism of the holy spirit,

And came with the blood of Jesus Christ,

Which is why it is not by works of the law that anyone is saved,

Because all have sinned,

And have thus become cursed by the law,

But it is by receiving the holy spirit, which comes through belief in Jesus Christ, that any are saved,

In which case, whoever receives the holy spirit, is then no longer under law, but under spirit,

For just as the holy spirit caused Saul to become another man and to prophesy,

And also caused others to prophesy upon receiving the holy spirit,

So does the new holy spirit of the new covenant, that was first given to the apostles, causes a man to not only prophesy as the spirit given to prophets of old did, but also to obey the law,

Because the heart of stone, which the holy spirit removes, is the heart with evil desires that are also the cause of sin, which is why whoever walks by holy spirit no longer walks by flesh,

Because this flesh nature, which is also the heart of stone, is the foreskin of the heart that the circumcision made by the spirit removes, which then frees from sin,

And so, as opposed to doing works of the law, which no one can or has obeyed on their own, full obedience to the law is found in mere belief in Jesus Christ and rebirth in holy spirit, hence why whoever becomes born of God by receiving the holy spirit can no longer sin,

Because whoever becomes sanctified by receiving the holy spirit, which comes through belief in Jesus Christ, becomes perfected,

And upholds the law by the obedience that the spirit causes,

Holy hot cakes!!! This poster might actually be more theologically misinformed than... no... is it true? ... [MENTION=13959]meshak[/MENTION]!

Try "Fulfilled" ... next time...

As in... Jesus fulfilled the law.

; )

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

I don't read rambling posts, but with regard to your opening statement, Paul taught the Law of Moses was temporary.

That pretty much sums it up for me. Also we know there will be a new covenant for Israel that claims to be different from the first covenant.

cgaviria

BANNED
Banned
I don't read rambling posts, but with regard to your opening statement, Paul taught the Law of Moses was temporary.

That pretty much sums it up for me. Also we know there will be a new covenant for Israel that claims to be different from the first covenant.

The law is indeed temporary, but it has not yet passed, because heaven and earth has not yet passed.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The law is indeed temporary, but it has not yet passed, because heaven and earth has not yet passed.

The law God spoke to Israel has not passed.

Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:17-29)​

Ordinances do not establish righteousness. Every government on earth has ordinances, but that doesn't make its citizens righteous.

Righteousness comes from observing the commandments as Jesus said.

How do we know? We know because scripture explains the law. Jesus said he came to fulfill the law. so what fulfills the law?

Paul said, "*For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'" (Galatians 5:14)

James said, "If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself,' you do well..." (James 2:8)

I'll be glad when you get to lesson 2 in your Bible study.

john w

Hall of Fame
I agree with the thread assertion, but not the author's reasons. Part of the reason, that the law has not been abolished, centering on 2 of its functions:

Galatians 3 KJV

23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Romans 3 KJV

20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Romans 7 KJV

What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

john w

Hall of Fame
I don't know about you but I am a Gentile and therefore I have never been under the law of Moses (Ro.2:14).

Distinguish between the law not being the basis of our(boc members) walk, our sanctification, rule of life, and it being abolished-they are different. And Romans 2:14 KJV reference is not a reference to members of the boc, "Gentiles," but the lost, non Jews, who did not have the revelation of the law of God, in contrast to Jews, who did....

Romans 3 KJV
1 What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?

2 Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.

Your proper reference, for our walk, in that we are "not under the law"....

Romans 6:14-15 KJV For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

Jerry Shugart

Distinguish between the law not being the basis of our(boc members) walk, our sanctification, rule of life, and it being abolished-they are different. And Romans 2:14 KJV reference is not a reference to members of the boc, "Gentiles," but the lost, non Jews, who did not have the revelation of the law of God, in contrast to Jews, who did....

Gentiles, whether those in the Body or those not, were never under "the law."

The law which Gentiles have been under has always been the law which is written in our heart, the law of which the conscience bears witness (Ro.2:15). And here, when Paul speaks of "law" he is referring to the Law of Moses (which the Jews were under) and the law of which the conscience bears witness (which the Gentiles were under):

"For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace. What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be!"
(Ro.6:15-16; NASB).​

john w

Hall of Fame

Never said that they were. As usual, since you have an unteacheable spirit, and are always right, you missed it. But the passage you quoted, was not referencing the boc-it is contrasting Jews, who had the law, with Gentiles, who did not, from Abraham-Moses. It has NADA to do with "not under the law," as far as the boc's walk, is concerned.

The law which Gentiles have been under has always been the law which is written in our heart, the law of which the conscience bears witness (Ro.2:15). And here, when Paul speaks of "law" he is referring to the Law of Moses (which the Jews were under) and the law of which the conscience bears witness (which the Gentiles were under):

Correct. But the passage you quoted, was not referencing the boc-it is contrasting Jews, who had the law, with Gentiles, who did not, from Abraham-Moses.

"For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace. What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be!" [/I](Ro.6:15-16; NASB).[/INDENT]

That is what I quoted, not you. You should have just quoted it-not the Romans 2:14 KJV passage.

Get out of your "I know everything" mentality-most on TOL find it quite tiresome. My evidence? The response to your posts.

john w

Hall of Fame

"For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace. What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be!"
(Ro.6:15-16; NASB).​

I stay on topic...The topic of thread-"The Law of Moses Has Not Been Abolished"

Yes, or no?

Part of the reason, that the law has not been abolished, centering on 2 of its functions:

Galatians 3 KJV

23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Romans 3 KJV

20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Romans 7 KJV

What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

So, were Gentiles "under the law," if it brought them to Christ, by showing them what sin is?

Get it?

Jerry Shugart

Never said that. But the passage you quoted, was not referencing the boc-it is contrasting Jews, who had the law, with Gentiles, who did not, from Abraham-Moses.

The following verse must refer to all believers, both Jews and Gentiles:

"For Christ is the end of law for righteousness to every one that believes"
(Ro.10:4; DBY)).​

Since this is speaking about "every one that believes" it must be referring to "law" (which includes both The Law and the law written in the heart of which the conscience bears witnessed. This translation of the same verse could not be correct since it is limited to "The Law":

"For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes"​
(Ro.10:4; ESV).​

So, were Gentiles "under the law," if it brought them to Christ, by showing them what sin is?

No, they were under the law written in their hearts of which the conscience bears witness:

"Wherefore by works of law no flesh shall be justified before him; for by law is knowledge of sin" (Ro.3:20; DBY).​

Before we are aware of the Ten Commandments we know what constitutes sin because our conscience tells us that certian things are wrong.

chair

These threads always strike me as very strange. Of course the "Law" has not been "abolished". And it never will be. But it was meant for Israel (the Jews), not for the whole world. During the early history of Christianity this was an issue, since the first Christians were Jews (and as such would stick to the Law), and then later non-Jews joined, so the question of whether the non-Jews, who were joining a Jewish sect, needed to observe the Law came up. This was an issue that Paul had to deal with.

So you have different attitudes towards the Law, depending on the period. Jesus, as the leader of a Jewish sect, had one attitude. Paul, who was dealing with a mixed sect, had another.It is not surprising that one can choose verses in either direction.

cgaviria

BANNED
Banned
These threads always strike me as very strange. Of course the "Law" has not been "abolished". And it never will be. But it was meant for Israel (the Jews), not for the whole world. During the early history of Christianity this was an issue, since the first Christians were Jews (and as such would stick to the Law), and then later non-Jews joined, so the question of whether the non-Jews, who were joining a Jewish sect, needed to observe the Law came up. This was an issue that Paul had to deal with.

So you have different attitudes towards the Law, depending on the period. Jesus, as the leader of a Jewish sect, had one attitude. Paul, who was dealing with a mixed sect, had another.It is not surprising that one can choose verses in either direction.

The law will indeed be abolished, at the conclusion of this heaven and earth. You cannot have a law of sin and death in a new heaven and earth where sin and death does not exist, as such, this law will eventually become obsolete.