Going to the Movies: past, present, future.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Kirk Douglas should be included based on nothing more than his portrayal of John Burns in the film "Lonely are the Brave." Though set in the middle of the 20th century Alex Cox of the New York Times said that "there is no greater western, and certainly no more tragic one."
He said it was the best of his work. Douglas made so many great movies. Spartacus, Champion, Young Man With a Horn, Gunfight..., Adrian Messenger, Lust for Life, Paths of Glory, Ace in the Hole. And what kid didn't love 20k Leagues?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Kirk Douglas should be included based on nothing more than his portrayal of John Burns in the film "Lonely are the Brave." Though set in the middle of the 20th century Alex Cox of the New York Times said that "there is no greater western, and certainly no more tragic one."

I'd never heard of it before an English teacher (in college) played it for us in class - wonderful movie. I may have to watch it again. :thumb:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
La La Land: imagine Gene Kelly has a decent idea for a musical and sketches it out on a table cloth. Then he gives the table cloth to understudies to do a rough cut.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I recently watched Gangs of New York. I found it decent. It was another historical fiction movie. Like Braveheart and Gladiator, where they take real events and put their story in that back drop. Another good movie from Leo. The strange part is, the one that put him on the map is his worst. And it goes without saying the title of that film.

Blood Diamond and The Departed were both good with him in it.

Last edited:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I recently watched Gangs of New York. I found it decent. It was another historical fiction movie. Like Braveheart and Gladiator, where they take real events and put their story in that back drop. Another good movie from Leo. The strange part is, the one that put him on the map is his worst. And it goes without saying here the title.

Blood Diamond and The Departed were both good with him in it.

Gangs and BD :thumb:

the Departed is one i watch frequently - my favorite line is wahlberg's: "I'm the guy who does his job. You must be the other guy"

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 was awesome!
Good to hear. I started reading a few critics and got irked by comments like, "[FONT=&quot]Shot for shot, line and line, it's an extravagant and witty follow-up, made with the same friendly virtuosic dazzle. Yet this time you can sense just how hard the series' wizard of a director, James Gunn, is working to entertain you."

That's from Variety and much of what I read that is complaint sound a bit like that. Well, the jaded narrative of the ennui driven critic is about as interesting as root canal to me. Every movie should be approached and examined on its merits.

[/FONT]

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I am in. If you didn't see the original with Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer, you might need to see it. I'm not sure yet. Good movies don't require you to know a back story.

Last edited:

musterion

I am in. If you didn't see the original with Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer, you might need to see it. I'm not sure yet. Good movies don't require you to know a backs story.

I dunno...if they try playing it that Deckard isn't a skin job, I'll be disappointed.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I am in. If you didn't see the original with Harrison Ford and Rutger Hauer, you might need to see it. I'm not sure yet. Good movies don't require you to know a backs story.
Terrific movie. I'm looking forward to this one.

Saw We Were Soldiers last weekend. Excellent film.
One of Mel's better efforts. Sam Elliot is terrific in it as well. One of the guys on the cover of the book the movie was made from died in the 911 attack on the towers. His name was Rick Rascorla and he headed security for Morgan Stanley and went back in to make sure all of his people were out. My brother said he was a great guy.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Another good Gibson film that's on Netflix now is Payback. Not great, but very entertaining and his turn as a man of peculiar principle is worth watching mete out a revenge best served singed.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Good to hear. I started reading a few critics and got irked by comments like, "Shot for shot, line and line, it's an extravagant and witty follow-up, made with the same friendly virtuosic dazzle. Yet this time you can sense just how hard the series' wizard of a director, James Gunn, is working to entertain you."

That's from Variety and much of what I read that is complaint sound a bit like that. Well, the jaded narrative of the ennui driven critic is about as interesting as root canal to me. Every movie should be approached and examined on its merits.

I've already seen it twice and it's better than the original. Fox could learn a thing or two about how to do Fantastic Four correctly from James Gunn's Guardians.