The long nightmare has just begun: Inauguration of a fraud.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
OK:
So, the EC is decided by 56 different popular votes in 56 separate contexts.

There is no national popular vote because because you didn't have a national popular election.
You could make a number called the "Sum of 54 separate popular votes in 56 separate contexts"
And that would be what your calling the "Popular Vote".
But that's not the Popular vote. That's the sum of 54 separate popular votes in 56 separate contexts.
The things have different names because they are different things, the results of different stimuli on the organism.
Calling them the same thing would be poor science.

:thumb: the point i was making (and that anna resisted understanding) last night

yes, there's such a thing as a "popular vote total for a particular candidate"

there's also such a thing as a "percentage of eligible population who chose to vote for a particular candidate"

and a "percentage of total american citizens who chose to vote for a particular candidate"

none of them matter

town thinks that the popular vote does matter, that it confers some mythical mandate that brings power, but when pressed to expand his belief from the subjective to the objective, he calls it a bunny trail and tucks tail and runs

What are you still doing in this thread? There's vulgar language here.

surely you're not suggesting that he's a (gasp!) hypocrite??? :noway:

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
town thinks that the popular vote does matter,
No, everyone knows it matters. The question/debate is over how it should matter. Should there be a largely winner take all state level mechanism that funnels both the agreement and opposition into one affirmative voice or should our voices be heard as individuals.

And I wasn't particularly driven on the point. Mostly it has tended to work out that the winner of one was the winner of both.

that it confers some mythical mandate that brings power
Argue with Reagan and any other president who speaks to the power of a mandate. The problem for people is mostly when they lack majority support, because it makes Congress more independent out of political necessity and a degree of nervousness. Everyone wants to ride the coattails of a popular president. No one wanted to be associated with Carter.

but when pressed to expand his belief from the subjective to the objective, he calls it a bunny trail and tucks tail and runs
It's a shame that whatever is wrong with you robs you of any semblance of character.

Sod is being dishonest, again. In fact I set out why the absence of a popular mandate is problematic for a sitting president. I just did it again. He wanted to talk about Bush and God knows what else and as I didn't enter the thread to have a conversation with him and had made the point I meant to in response to a decent enough question I left it.

surely you're not suggesting that he's a (gasp!) hypocrite??? :noway:
If she did she'd be as dishonest as you are since I didn't leave that thread over the point and remained for a good while, until it stopped holding my interest. And unlike Tam's video, I wasn't subjected to anything actually profane in anna's set out of the president's quote. The language remained veiled, even if the inference wasn't.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And you didn't sponsor it? That's progress.

For those who missed it, Tam is speaking to my objection of her posting a link to some guy's video. He was complaining about being put on the high shelf, access wise, by youtube. In the video he drops an F bomb early on. Tam posted it and when my five year old got an ear full of it went on an obnoxious defense where most people would have pulled the bit and owned the mistake.

Unlike anna, she remained among us and I don't know that the video was ever pulled.

Since then she's been mostly busy giving pos reps to anyone who has anything stupid to say about yours truly. So it's been a real boon for GM, CS, Sod, etc. Looks like she finally likes the odds around here and decided to be more direct.

Tam, really pulling the lass out of class...no, no that's not it. Well, it will come to me.

Anyway, I didn't leave that thread so her shtick here is just more self-serving nonsense in an ongoing attempt to illustrate how deeply she just doesn't get it.

For quoting the guy you seem to adore. You should be outraged.

Apologies for interrupting your new Twitter feed though.
In other words, Tambora bad, Anna good, no matter what.

No complaint about the vulgar language Anna used, that she wrote herself?
No complaint about others boosting the liberal's reps? (If you were really paying attention, you would have noticed that too.)

If the way to maintain a civil friendship here is to thank and rep only the ones they want to thank and rep, then I'll pass.
I prefer to thank and rep those I want to, for any reason I want to, and at any time I want to (you know, that same privilege everyone else here has).

Town, you and I have very little in common when it comes to politics and religion, and our views conflict, and we voice it.
But for everyday life, we could have a blast! I thought you were a good sport and had a sense of humor despite our differing views. But now, even that has grown sour.
And I am exhausted trying to prop up and maintain such a fragile friendship. I can't take much more of it, and I think that for my own well-being I should just discontinue conversing with you or AB or Anna anymore about anything, and just let it be what it is.
Who knows what the future will hold, but for now I need to do what's best for my own peace of mind.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
In other words, Tambora bad, Anna good, no matter what.
No. You're allowing subsequent events and your own irritation alter your memory.

Here's the horrible, horrible thing I said about the video with the F bomb. The one my son heard. A thing that incredibly remains linked and unedited by you or anyone else:

Or maybe, unlike CNN, he has a tendency to do what he did in this video and drop an off handed F bomb. And thanks for linking to this, because my son heard that one drop.

Another reason to never watch any video people post on here unless I'm sure I can rely on their discretion...sheesh.

That was about as harsh as being flogged with a wet noodle. You gave someone who credited you with a thing reason to doubt your discretion. What I expected was for Tam, my Christian friend, who had accidentally let something profane into a place where it didn't belong, something my child heard, to say, "So sorry Jack heard that. I completely missed it. I'm removing the link. I don't know how that one got by me."

That's what I anticipated, because that was my opinion of you. What I got was this:

Poor little feller needs a daddy that checks out videos before playing them when his little son is around.

That's what strained our conversations and relation. No ownership of your mistake, no correction, only a sneering remark with a reference to my son.

No complaint about the vulgar language Anna used, that she wrote herself?
Quoting the president?

What I say to anna around here about something like that will be between us. She's earned that over the years, told me privately things I didn't always want to hear, but learned to value, as I value our differences in agreement or opposition, both when she stood to my right and now to my left.

No complaint about others boosting the liberal's reps? (If you were really paying attention, you would have noticed that too.)
I don't normally pay attention to who reps who, but your steady stream of atta-boys for anyone taking a shot at me was so consistent it eventually made an impression.

Town, you and I have very little in common when it comes to politics and religion, and our views conflict, and we voice it.
We're both Christian. I hold a great many conservative views, so the chance that we have little in common isn't likely. I'm sure we have a few differences that are important to us. I suspect most people have more in common than they do in division, but that's a larger argument.

But for everyday life, we could have a blast! I thought you were a good sport and had a sense of humor despite our differing views. But now, even that has grown sour.
I love repartee and if a shot is good enough I can and will note and rep it, even if (and sometimes especially when) I'm on the receiving end of it. Even if it comes from a hostile camp. Because this isn't life of death, it's the internet. Which means most of it doesn't really matter beyond the entertainment value. But some things do and should, especially between friends.

ok doser

I set out why the absence of a popular mandate is problematic for a sitting president. I just did it again.

and in both cases, in subjective terms

townclown said:
...he wanted to talk about Bush ...

perhaps you're unaware that bush, like trump, did not win "the popular vote"

by your claim, bush thus lacked some abstract "power" that would have otherwise been conferred upon him

again, i will ask you to demonstrate, objectively what power bush lacked and that trump lacks or will lack

ok doser

You do have a popular vote because people voted and their votes were tallied and can be summed. They weren't voting for their state's candidate for president.

actually, they were voting for their electors

but that's ok town, a lot of libs don't really understand the electoral process

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
actually, they were voting for their electors
If by that you mean that's where the process places their votes (the ballots where they mark support for the candidate of their choice) all you're saying is what no one is disputing, again.

perhaps you're unaware that bush, like trump, did not win "the popular vote"
Perhaps you're serious, but who'd lay money on it?

A different election in any number of ways, from the degree of separation to the public feeling about both candidates. In any event, I'm speaking to this presidential election and I've answered you on the practical impact of a president who lacks strong public support, aka a mandate as typically stressed by presidents who carry majorities, usually strong ones.

Arthur Brain

It appears as if, TH thinks of himself as a "Magnificent Victim." That's a typical LIB for ya. I would recommend that TH find himself a nice "Safe Place," a warm cup of cocoa, and a stuffed animal of his choosing. Oh, by the way, TH, why not purchase some Headphones on Amazon, therefore, you'll be able to listen for any foul language on future You-Tube Videos, in the privacy of your own ears. Just a suggestion.

So CS is a 'liberal' then? Cos he sure had a meltdown over being *stalked* and a victim mentality with his delusions over it, and then his 'not being able to do anything about' which is a complete crock...