Warning against Trump alarmism

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I largely agree with this article and it's something I've tried to be careful about. I've gotten into some similar discussions recently. I think there is a lot to criticize about Trump. A lot worries me. But I think critics should be honest and accurate about what they say and not blow things out of proportion. If every day is a frenzy about what Trump is doing next then people could end up numb to it. We could become the boy who cried wolf.

In other words: Donald Trump is palatable to you liberals and Libertarians as long as he doesn't mess with abortion and LGBTQ rights (the core of your belief system), which he has no intention of doing.

I think that very thing has already happened with us conservatives...

You're confusing conservatism with Libertarianism, which you and a good majority of Donald Trump supporters are.

Danoh

you're right

trump doesn't own slaves

No need to - Trump drones are doing just fine carrying his endless bucket of vile to the masses.

Trump Drone?

Red cap; white letters; made in China.

Red, white, and yellow.

Cause Massa Don the Blonde Con Trump says so.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I simply can't think of a good reason to temper the reaction to Trump. Sure, there's a whole spectrum of severity of things to react to, although I think the author of your article is downplaying the significance of a lot of it. But we're building the resistance that is going to bring him down, powered by that reaction, following the template of the Tea Party. Why reign it in?
I'm not sure what you mean by tempering reaction or reining it in. I can't speak for Nichols but I am not saying we should let things slide or give Trump a pass or even pick battles. Mostly what I am saying is that critics should be accurate about what they say and keep things in perspective. An example is the immigration issue. It isn't a Muslim ban. I'm aware of what Trump said during his campaign and who he has surrounded himself with and that gives me a skeptical eye at his actions but I don't think it's productive to claim it's a Muslin ban when there is no way to say that except by talking about ulterior motives. And there is plenty to criticize without even calling it a Muslim ban. If critics aren't careful about what they say I think it could end up being detrimental to the cause.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The first thing a dictator does after giving the masses his assurances is to silent dissenting voices...it hampers their efforts. Trump's war with the media is such a tactic, as such, the media has an imperative duty to speak against this menace....loudly.
And I hope that the media pushes back against any attempt to silence them.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
I'm not sure what you mean by tempering reaction or reining it in. I can't speak for Nichols but I am not saying we should let things slide or give Trump a pass or even pick battles. Mostly what I am saying is that critics should be accurate about what they say and keep things in perspective. An example is the immigration issue. It isn't a Muslim ban. I'm aware of what Trump said during his campaign and who he has surrounded himself with and that gives me a skeptical eye at his actions but I don't think it's productive to claim it's a Muslin ban when there is no way to say that except by talking about ulterior motives. And there is plenty to criticize without even calling it a Muslim ban. If critics aren't careful about what they say I think it could end up being detrimental to the cause.

And yet Giuliani stated that Trump called him and asked him how to legally do a "Muslim ban."

But I think the most telling thing is in the order itself, which says the US will "prioritize refugee claims made by individuals on the basis of religious-based persecution, provided that the religion of the individual is a minority religion in the individual’s country of nationality."

rexlunae

It's as close to a Muslim ban as they thought they could get away with. And so far, they can't. And beyond that, it's historically stupid policy. I honestly don't know how the courts will rule on this thing, but I am certain that it's already made us significantly less safe, and it's based on a wink-and-nod white Christian nationalism.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
It's as close to a Muslim ban as they thought they could get away with. And so far, they can't. And beyond that, it's historically stupid policy. I honestly don't know how the courts will rule on this thing, but I am certain that it's already made us significantly less safe, and it's based on a wink-and-nod white Christian nationalism.
Don't really disagree with you there.