ARCHIVE: I believe religion to be obsolete

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Jackielabby

Granite, I have been reading a few other threads and noticed that prodigal had been banned. Do you know why?

Technically I don't think it's kosher to discuss such things...but if I had to guess, I'd say profanity or something.

Aimiel

Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color.
First, JackieLabby, welcome to TOL.

There are several states which place the degree of baldness in the, "Hair," data portion of one's Drivers' License. You're 'tagged' by your un-belief, and placing the idea of no god in your mind as 'truth' gives you away as worshipping the false god of your imagination. It just so happens that your false god doesn't have a name.

Any scientific approach which makes assumptions is doomed to failure. When you assume that a premise is un-true (i.e. the premise: "I cannot learn what 2+2 is,"), you've stopped your progress short. Saying God does not exist, and yet having no proof, as such, is the same. This is (IMHO) why God calls anyone who says, "There is no god," a fool. I agree with Him.
I am not the anti-christ but I am certainly am an anti-christian.
Setting yourself against God is what makes you (decidedly) anti-Christ.
Aimiel, so being a homosexual is a sin in your and most fundamental xian's eyes. I am not homosexual but if they are doing something in the privacy of their own homes and not hurting anyone what the hell is wrong with that?
The hell is exactly right. They are bound for hell, because of their sin, the hurt is not only occurring to each of them but also to their morals, their family values, their family members and their neighbors (as well as their country). I'm just glad that other nations don't take Hollywood's lie (homosexuality is a 'lifestyle choice') as seriously as Americans do. That's the biggest reason this plague (queerness) hasn't spread as rapidly as Satan had hoped for.
Isn't the following more despicable:
JESUS ON FAMILY VALUES (part 5) - Matthew 10:35-36
"For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law -- a man's enemies will be the members of his own household."
No, it is because of Jesus that this earth is polarized. This is the great epic battle which has been going on since sin was found in Satan: good against evil. Men were created so that God could restore the things that Satan pulled down without having to do so using angels.
I can offer further quotes from the euphemistically termed 'good book', but I gather you would not like to read them When someone disagrees with a 'fundie' isn't it funny that he/she is soon termed a Satanist or anti-christ.
Please, offer on.
JESUS ON FAMILY VALUES (part 7) - Luke 14:26
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters -- yes, even his own life -- he cannot be my disciple."
I'll tell you the truth about my life, regarding this verse. If I hadn't thought that believing truth (Jesus' Words) more than my own mothers commands (she said, "You'd better not get 'saved'" to me, when I was 12) I'd still be lost.
Fostering hate? I do not hate any of my family, one a catholic, one an agnostic, one devout lutheran. None of them hate me. Are we all damned to live forever without Jesus?
He wasn't trying to foster hatred of people, but showing us how we ought to walk. We are to love even our enemies. How could we love them if we hated them? It is impossible. He was showing us that we need to place Him first. We need to love Him above all. He is Truth. If you don't love Truth, you love the world, and the world loves those who don't love truth. That is why they crucified Jesus, because He told The Truth. Those who are in the world (for the most part) can't help but hate those who are saved, because it is the Satan in them that hates the Jesus in us, and that is the way that enemies are identified. The Christians don't hate their enemies (men) because they used to be enemies of God, themselves. We love them, pray for them, and hope that God will save them, so that He can use them to spread The Truth. We know that the only enemy is the devil that uses them to try to spread lies.

Jackielabby

Banned
Banned
Homophobic fundamentalists should take note of the words of
the scripture, which they claim to so carefully follow...

"Who are you to judge another?"

(James 4:12b)

Aimiel

Queer-loving Christ-phobic liberals should learn The Truth before trying to hit someone over the head with it. Quoting scripture doesn't make someone a Christian or demonstrate their righteousness, any more than walking into McDondald's makes someone a hamburger. Judging righteous judgement is not only called for, it is a necessary fact of life. Being forced to change our laws to prohibit queer marriages may just drive us to re-instate the laws against queer behavior. I'm praying it does.

Jackielabby

Banned
Banned
Do you personally believe everything in the bible or do you just leave out the bits you find disagreeable to you?
And once again 'who are you to judge another?'

Aimiel

Do you personally believe everything in the bible or do you just leave out the bits you find disagreeable to you?
I believe that The Bible is The Inerrant Word of God and I believe that everything presented in The Bible is Truth.
And once again 'who are you to judge another?'
Once again, it is not your place to judge me, not being a believer or even a judge. You lack credentials to make judgements, and would be in error to do so. Anyone who might listen to them would, as well.

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Aimiel,

I think you might be missing the fact that Jackielabby IS judging you.

He is saying that it is wrong to judge. He is actually saying that the Bible teaches this, but is wrong. He is, however clearly agreeing with this idea that he thinks the Bible teaches.

The problem is that saying that it is wrong to judge is a judgment in and of itself and thus by making post #845 Jackielabby made himself a hypocrite and since he used the Bible to do it, he will be subject to the Bibles justice for the action (not that he wouldn't have been anyway).
The point being, he is not worth your time, his own arguments defeat his position.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

Aimiel,

He is saying that it is wrong to judge. He is actually saying that the Bible teaches this, but is wrong. He is, however clearly agreeing with this idea that he thinks the Bible teaches.

The problem is that saying that it is wrong to judge is a judgment in and of itself and thus by making post #845 Jackielabby made himself a hypocrite and since he used the Bible to do it, he will be subject to the Bibles justice for the action (not that he wouldn't have been anyway).
The point being, he is not worth your time, his own arguments defeat his position.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete! When did you decide to crawl out of the woodwork?

Aimiel

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

Aimiel,

I haven't missed that fact, but perhaps you've pointed it out to him more clearly than I did. Were we to take singular passages literally, as he has done, we'd end up with more confusion than already exists. Thank God that His Message reveals Him to un-believers every day, and, I believe, it is by interaction with believers that un-believers come to know the truth of what is written. Maybe we'd do better to ask him, "How do you interpret Scripture?"

Often they're here on TOL because The Lord is convicting them of sin.

Go ye, enquire of the LORD for me, and for the people, and for all Judah, concerning the words of this book that is found: for great is the wrath of the LORD that is kindled against us, because our fathers have not hearkened unto the words of this book, to do according unto all that which is written concerning us.

I don't think we ought to flat-out reject them because they have not yet come to believe in Jesus. All the more we ought to be engaging them, because they show an interest in The Word.

Milkbone

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
good golly it took so long to read this whole thread!

Good banter. Currently looking for religion myself, this discussion, and hopefully TOL in general will help give me some direction. Quite the cast of characters here, I'm sorry that the dynamic around here isn't more friendly though, kinda hostile at times, wish it was different.

But the quest for truth can get bumpy.

Hope you all don't mind my questions, but I'm coming here humbly to learn.

Thanks, and carry on.

Milkbone

BANNED BY MOD
Banned by Mod
Were we to take singular passages literally, as he has done, we'd end up with more confusion than already exists

Aimiel, what criteria have you used to determine which singular passages to take literally and which ones you interpret symbolically? I've read the bible, and in light of the many denominations within christianity I would say that there is no real yard stick for how one deciphers the oftentimes confusing doctrine of the bible.

Royal_Lion04

WOW!!!! I've missed out on a lot of conversation here!!! My last post on this thread was #515. Guess dotcom didn't have a reply to my post. Hmmmm!

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

I am not the anti-christ but I am certainly am an anti-christian. lighthouse I could most certainly stoop to your level and call you a moron for your beliefs but I will not.
When did I ever say you were a moron because of what you believed? Only a moron would think that's what I said.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

JESUS ON FAMILY VALUES (part 7) - Luke 14:26
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters -- yes, even his own life -- he cannot be my disciple."
Fostering hate? I do not hate any of my family, one a catholic, one an agnostic, one devout lutheran. None of them hate me. Are we all damned to live forever without Jesus?
Oh, woe are we!!!
Yeah. Uh huh. That's what Jesus meant.:rolleyes:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Homophobic fundamentalists should take note of the words of
the scripture, which they claim to so carefully follow...

"Who are you to judge another?"

(James 4:12b)
Who said we were afraid of queers?

And James 4:12 is speaking of Christians judging Christians, based on the law. Homos aren't Christians.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Judging by the paranoia of the Christian right on this issue, I'd say a lot of them ARE afraid of homosexuals and homosexuality.

Aimiel

Originally posted by Milkbone

Aimiel, what criteria have you used to determine which singular passages to take literally and which ones you interpret symbolically? I've read the bible, and in light of the many denominations within christianity I would say that there is no real yard stick for how one deciphers the oftentimes confusing doctrine of the bible.
First, MilkBone, welcome to TOL. Hope you stick around for the long haul. The race doesn't go to the swift, it goes to the one who finishes.

One of the things that has helped me the most is to read about the things the church has believed, historically. To see their beliefs, and how they interpreted things, gives us insight. We can often see more clearly by standing on thier foundation (when right) or find new revelation (from God) by digging through their rubble. Some of the things that have been discarded (the two five-fold ministry gifts of apostle and prophet, for instance) are the building blocks that are missing which will give The Church back her power and authority.

As you do this, pray. After you've studied church history for a while, read some of today's authorities on prophecy. Read Dave Hunt, Hal Lindsay or Billy Graham. Don't take anything anyone says as right, but search for ways to decipher truth for yourself. We (each and every one of us) need to rightly divide The Word of Truth. If we don't learn that lesson, we'll never get out of pre-school in The Body of Christ.

Just curious, what is your background? Are you a Christian? Were you raised by Christians?

Thanks for your reply.

Granite

Hall of Fame
"Read Dave Hunt, Hal Lindsay or Billy Graham."

These "authorities" are full of enough false predictions to write them off as the glad-handing buck-making sensationalists that they are.