ARCHIVE: I believe religion to be obsolete

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by lighthouse

What? Do you want anymore than what I gave you? I have more.

It just seemed as though you hadn't bothered to read the links Zakath provided. If you had you might have a clue. A Christian torturing Old Testament passages into "messianic prophecies" is on very shaky ground, hermeneutically.

Rolf Ernst

Unbelievers and atheists pontificating on Scripture--in a blind and profane world, that is possible to find. As a matter of fact, in a blind and profane world they even arrogantly believe that they are the beginning and end of all wisdom.

In a sane world, however, the only time granted to such people people is the time necessary to declare to them the gospel. That is the only sign they are to get. If God is pleased to show mercy to them, they will be granted faith. If not, no other hope will be found.

Granite

Hall of Fame

Peter wrote that it was Messianic prophecies, and applied it to Christ.

Which one are you talking about? Isaiah 53 or something else?

It's a little odd that Peter had to misquote the stumbling block passage and appeal to Isaiah 53...if the gospel stories, as they'd come to be known later, were already (allegedly) in circulation. Why not appeal to specific events in the life of Christ?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Rolf Ernst

Unbelievers and atheists pontificating on Scripture--in a blind and profane world, that is possible to find. As a matter of fact, in a blind and profane world they even arrogantly believe that they are the beginning and end of all wisdom.

In a sane world, however, the only time granted to such people people is the time necessary to declare to them the gospel. That is the only sign they are to get. If God is pleased to show mercy to them, they will be granted faith. If not, no other hope will be found.

Rolf, grow up. Like it or not, Christians aren't the only people allowed to pontificate about your faith. (Or is it only pontification is a non-Christian is talking?) Your faith and belief system is not immune to discussion and criticism, thank you kindly.

Mustard Seed

27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

James 1:27

...'course Luther didn't care much for the book of James.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Mustard Seed

27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

James 1:27

...'course Luther didn't care much for the book of James.

Or Jews, for that matter.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by granite1010

Which one are you talking about? Isaiah 53 or something else?

It's a little odd that Peter had to misquote the stumbling block passage and appeal to Isaiah 53...if the gospel stories, as they'd come to be known later, were already (allegedly) in circulation. Why not appeal to specific events in the life of Christ?
Misquote? He never misquoted it. It says the same thing, verbatim. Peter was showing that Jesus was rejected by the builders of the faith [Orthodox Jews], and yet became the cornerstone of a relationship with God.

Granite

Hall of Fame

Misquote? He never misquoted it. It says the same thing, verbatim. Peter was showing that Jesus was rejected by the builders of the faith [Orthodox Jews], and yet became the cornerstone of a relationship with God.

Actually, he did. In any event the passage does not speak of a coming messiah. This is the problem with so-called messianic prophecies: they're cherrypicked and have no context whatsoever. A verse here, a drab there.

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Originally posted by Rolf Ernst

Surely you're not referring to this atheist... while I do periodically pontificate, I've never claimed to know everything.

I usually leave that to the religionists. :rolleyes:

So why are you bothering to comment? :think:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by granite1010

Actually, he did. In any event the passage does not speak of a coming messiah. This is the problem with so-called messianic prophecies: they're cherrypicked and have no context whatsoever. A verse here, a drab there.
What makes you say the verse isn't a Messianic prophecy?

Granite

Hall of Fame

What makes you say the verse isn't a Messianic prophecy?

Brandon: here's what'll be useful...reading what the passage actually SAYS, as opposed to the way Paul and Peter creatively chopped it.

Isaiah 28:16--"Therefore thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious cornerstone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste."

Isaiah 28 describes the coming judgment on the people of Ephraim. No messiah, no future savior for the people. The passage does not even mention anyone SPECIFICALLY. You'll notice it doesn't say "who believes on HIM." It just says...well, what it says. A one-verse cherrypick like this is an exegetical outrage, frankly. How Paul mangles the verse makes it even worse.

Isaiah 8:14 says, "And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem." And what does the verse right before this say? "Sanctify the Lord of hosts himself; and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread." In other words, this rock is Jehovah, not some future God incarnate.

What does Paul say? Good Pharisee he was, he mixed up a couple of verses, grafted them together, and added in some of his own lines: "It is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumbling block stone and a rock of offence: and whosever believeth on him shall not be ashamed" (Romans 9:33). Peter does pretty much the same thing (1 Peter 2:6) and copied Paul's misrepresentation.

These two verses are unrelated and do not, as is clear by reading the whole chapter--as opposed to picking out a verse here or there--refer to any coming human savior. To make matters worse, Paul and Peter blended two completely different passages and spun them as prophecies of Jesus. Intellectual dishonesty here I come.

Rolf Ernst

Granite--you don't think people who have no respect for the Bible while at the same time they presume to instruct others in it is somewhat schizoid?

That is similar to those people who on one day deny that Jesus ever existed, then they read th "Da Vinci code" and suddenly they not only know he existed, they know that he had a wife and at least one child.
Real rational folks, hmmm?

You refer to "religionists." Don't you realize that atheists are the most fanatically religious people on earth? Foe example, you don't find me on the forums of atheists hounding them. As a matter of fact, one forum stipulated "atheists only." I wondered why they would think anyone else would be interested in their fanatical religion anyway.

Jackielabby

Banned
Banned
I post to an atheist site, secularity.com and Jews, Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Pagans as well as Atheists and Agnostics post to it.

Jackielabby

Banned
Banned
With all due respect to those dear people, my friend, God almighty does not hear the prayer of a Jew."
?EBailey Smith, Christian Coalition
What a charming religion christianity is!!!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jackielabby

Banned
Banned
We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity."
— Ann Coulter, conservative author
"AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals."
— Jerry Falwell
"I want you to just let a wave of intolerance wash over you. I want you to let a wave of hatred wash over you. Yes, hate is good - Our goal is a Christian nation. We have a Biblical duty. We are called by God to conquer this country."
— Randall Terry

What charming people christians are!!!

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Jackie-
You do realize that not all Christians agree with those few, don't you? For instance, I think Falwell is a tool. And Coulter obviously circled on herself, in that quote. And Randall doesn't seem to understand that intolerance is bred by love, not hate.