Was Lazarus A 'Bum'?

Arthur Brain

How about private, voluntary unemployment insurance?
You buy a policy, you pay the premium. Then, if you find yourself out of work, your policy pays out - for whatever amount of coverage you freely chose to buy.

Hey, set one up.

It's what would happen if there was no safety net.

No, probably not.

So how is that fair and equitable? How is it not some form of theft for these people to be on ridiculous wages for what they 'contribute'. It wasn't people on the poverty ladder that caused the last financial recession...

If my feelings toward welfare count as "up in arms," then yes.

Well how about some vitriol to overpaid corporate fat cats then?

I am sorry you're baffled.

I'm sorry you'd sooner have a state where poverty would increase tenfold.

Arthur Brain

yes, and you?

I also used to volunteer at head start, a government program for low income children to have "preschool" so their parents can work and for many of them received the only meals they would have for the day.

Yep, never been homeless but certainly been on the breadline in the past. Good for you in that although why would you volunteer for a government program like that if government should solely be involved in security and infrastructure?

I charged you with what you said, i proved it also. Then you admitted you should have worded what you said better, but feel free to try to attack me with what you dont know about me at all. I think its hilarious.

I think it's really sad that a Christian can't acknowledge when they've been out of order and continue to perpetuate a lie. You didn't 'prove' anything. Once again, the OP was a question, not a statement and a barbed one at that. I didn't say anything about 'wording' it better. I said it might have been an idea to use (") around the word bum instead of (') just so the already (what should have been) obvious context wasn't lost on you.

If I genuinely thought disabled people were actual bums then you explain why I support a system that provides for them and others in need. I'll wait while you don't manage that. Why you feel the need to lie is anyone's guess now.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Yep, never been homeless but certainly been on the breadline in the past. Good for you in that although why would you volunteer for a government program like that if government should solely be involved in security and infrastructure?

Where did i say i think head start should be paid for with tax money, just because i think its a good program? It is what it is, and i can choose where to spend my own time, just like i should choose where to spend my money.

I think it's really sad that a Christian can't acknowledge when they've been out of order and continue to perpetuate a lie.

You are the liar and we are finished. Anyone can read back in the thread to see your lies. You are now on ignore.

Arthur Brain

Where did i say i think head start should be paid for with tax money, just because i think its a good program? It is what it is, and i can choose where to spend my own time, just like i should choose where to spend my money.

You are the liar and we are finished. Anyone can read back in the thread to see your lies. You are now on ignore.

Yeh, I've slated the disabled, homeless people and those in poverty throughout this entire thread Angel. They're all scum and should just rot.

:rolleyes:

Pathetic.

glassjester

See my last to you. Repeating the same question isn't going to get you a different answer.

Your last reply was that the welfare system doesn't do that. I agree.

I proposed this idea as a solution to poverty. Just allow impoverished people to steal money from unimpoverished people.

Why would that be unjust?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Your last reply was that the welfare system doesn't do that. I agree.

I proposed this idea as a solution to poverty. Just allow impoverished people to steal money from unimpoverished people.

Why would that be unjust?
It would be illegal, which by definition makes it unjust. What's not unjust is the Amish having to pay taxes that go to the military they don't believe in, because we don't get to decide what our tax money goes to individually.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Why do I need to offer a perfect solution to point out that your preferred solution is unjust?

Here's a good solution. Anyone below the poverty line should be legally allowed to steal money from anyone above the poverty line.

Now tell me why that's no good.

ontario is talking about implementing one of these - apparently some of the scandinavian countries have had some success with it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_income_in_Canada

the problem being, of course, that there's no incentive to work for people who are content to coast on the minimum

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
i should choose where to spend my money.

^
And there's the problem right there- what's 'yours'. Or rather, what isn't yours.

Jesus states to give to Caesar what it Caesars, and to God what is God's- that still rings true today but capitalism gives an illusion that it isn't.

In truth, money belongs to the Federal Reserve, which isn't actually federal at all- it is actually a private entity. Society today still simply bargains to make a living, and money is a tool of credit - when it really comes down to it, the government is free to tax at will so long as they have the permission of the Federal Reserve, because the money isn't actually yours.

So long as Christians continue to be worldly when it comes to money, camels and needles will still be a looming elephant in these discussions :)

glassjester

Society today still simply bargains to make a living, and money is a tool of credit - when it really comes down to it, the government is free to tax at will so long as they have the permission of the Federal Reserve, because the money isn't actually yours.

So the government would be justified to tax any amount, for any purpose?

Could they raise federal income tax to 99%? Are they "free" to do that?

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Would Christian citizens be justified in seeking to change that, or would that be too worldly?

What you're doing is portraying an extreme case and using to to justify squabbling over a bit of your money- which has no real effect on your livelihood- going to the welfare of other people.

Of all things a Christians should be concerned with the government taking, that is not supposed to be one of them. What's affecting you is the money going to overly expanded government factions and military.

In reality, real Christianity goes right out the window when this subject arises. For example, it costs on average 10 cents a day per taxpayer for the entire food stamp program- but you see how conservatives made this big deal out of it, trying to shame others for being on them or stating they need to be restricted to the produce section..

I mean really :freak:
And sure, welfare is a bit more, but it's not free for recipients either- they are usually required to work and pay just the same, and their other benefits are modest at best.

You all treat it like it's one big giant freeloading program, when in truth it exists because minimum wage, which was supposed to be adequate to have a living, failed and there aren't enough good jobs. There are people who abuse it, or choose not to enrich their lives further, but you don't take it out on all of them :AMR: