Take Down the Bird Feeder!

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How is the claim sustainable?
Here is the problematic paragraph:

Responsible management leads to manageable use, by and large. The grotesque exception is paraded here as the rule, along with the subtext of reducing people in need to greedy animals with the real human being the well-intentioned provider. Let the subtextual racism continue:

Town made up a new story, presumably because he hates OP, and made it racist. He used his story to call OP racist.

Just his heartless, headless, opinion, pulled fresh from half-baked, vaguely racist noodling that can only be called reason as an act of charity.

Sent from my SM-G9250 using TheologyOnline mobile app

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Town made up a new story,
I didn't do anything of the sort. The people providing benefit are just that, people. More, they're altruistic. Those taking and abusing the giver and the system in place are represented by animals.

That's a common enough theme among racist rhetoric. Here it's softened by the faux generosity and wounded spirit of the giver, a thing rebutted by the ease with which the giver dismisses care for any of the birds for the sake of his own ease, as well as the ham fisted reduction of everyone to troublesome, needy, hostile creatures.

presumably because he hates OP, and made it racist. He used his story to call OP racist.
Presumed by Stripe, who is apparently more consumed with what he called showing me up than in getting into anything beyond that.

Just his heartless, headless, opinion, pulled fresh from half-baked, vaguely racist noodling that can only be called reason as an act of charity.
That was only original once and when used in conjunction with a thing you never quite get to in your messenger themed approach: a real argument.

That's another thing I notice often enough about many of the more outspoken water carriers for the far right. You rarely originate, mostly regurgitate (see: Clete's OP, Stripes odd rehashing of parts of my rhetoric, this poster, and so on). :plain:

Last edited:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I didn't do anything of the sort.
:darwinsm:

There is a perfectly sensible story about the reasonable actions of a man with a bird feeder. You made up a whole lot of stuff about his motivations that do not fit.

The people providing benefit are just that, people.
Nope.

Learn to map the story's elements onto their real-world counterparts. The man building the bird feeder is not an individual.

Those taking and abusing the giver and the system in place are represented by animals.
Yep.

And you pretend that this is some great racist insult. Nope. It's just a story.

That's a common enough theme among racist rhetoric.
Which means nothing except you've confirmed that logical fallacies are the main arrows in your quiver.

Here it's softened by the faux generosity and wounded spirit of the giver, a thing rebutted by the ease with which the giver dismisses care for any of the birds for the sake of his own ease, as well as the ham fisted reduction of everyone of the animals to troublesome, needy, hostile creatures.
Only if you make up a new story and pretend that was the one OP posted.

Presumed by Stripe, who is apparently more consumed with what he called showing me up than in getting into anything beyond that.
Nope.

This is just you trying to find something else to whine about after punching didn't work for you.

Your analysis was shoddy. You got called on it.

That was only original once and when used in conjunction with a thing you never quite get to in your messenger themed approach: a real argument.

That's another thing I notice often enough about many of the more outspoken water carriers for the far right. You rarely originate, mostly regurgitate.
Therefore, something. :idunno:

Arthur Brain

:darwinsm:

There is a perfectly sensible story about the reasonable actions of a man with a bird feeder. You made up a whole lot of stuff about his motivations that do not fit.

Well, no it isn't. To begin with it's a half baked allegory, the man represents the government and the birds those in receipt of welfare/benefits, all infused with an obvious personal bias on behalf of the author.

Nope.

Learn to map the story's elements onto their real-world counterparts. The man building the bird feeder is not an individual.

Well of course he isn't. He's a metaphor for the government although as tempting as it may be to think otherwise the government is still comprised of - people.

Yep.

And you pretend that this is some great racist insult. Nope. It's just a story.

That's how it starts although even that is callously ignorant. Most people on benefits are just trying to make ends meet, not demanding they be given more and more handouts as this festering piece alludes. Then it goes off on how kids in school fall behind others because half the class doesn't speak English? Well that's just plain dumb. Then the "horrors" of having more than one language on a cornflakes box and a telephone bank service that has the 'audacity' to provide languages besides English? Oh, the inconvenience...

Seriously, the racist undertones of this garbage are hardly so subtle or covert as to not be pretty much obvious. The whole 'story' is laughable for its ineptness and ignorance. Portraying the government as altruistic in the form of the bird feeder was silly in itself. Any civilized society has to make provision for its poor although they're often the first to get penalized and given a raw deal when cutbacks are made because they have no means to fight back. It would be fitting if the person was sitting in front of a three course meal and wearing purple linen when they penned this 'gem'...

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, no it isn't. To begin with it's a half baked allegory, the man represents the government and the birds those in receipt of welfare/benefits, all infused with an obvious personal bias on behalf of the author. Well of course he isn't. He's a metaphor for the government although as tempting as it may be to think otherwise the government is still comprised of - people. That's how it starts although even that is callously ignorant. Most people on benefits are just trying to make ends meet, not demanding they be given more and more handouts as this festering piece alludes. Then it goes off on how kids in school fall behind others because half the class doesn't speak English? Well that's just plain dumb. Then the "horrors" of having more than one language on a cornflakes box and a telephone bank service that has the 'audacity' to provide languages besides English? Oh, the inconvenience...Seriously, the racist undertones of this garbage are hardly so subtle or covert as to not be pretty much obvious. The whole 'story' is laughable for its ineptness and ignorance. Portraying the government as altruistic in the form of the bird feeder was silly in itself. Any civilized society has to make provision for its poor although they're often the first to get penalized and given a raw deal when cutbacks are made because they have no means to fight back. It would be fitting if the person was sitting in front of a three course meal and wearing purple linen when they penned this 'gem'...

You've gotten the allegory right, but you're still inventing racism in it. The allegory is a perfectly reasonable story. It doesn't have a racist hint to it.

Arthur Brain

You've gotten the allegory right, but you're still inventing racism in it. The allegory is a perfectly reasonable story. It doesn't have a racist hint to it.

The allegory was obvious although hardly reasoned or reasonable. It's even spelled out at the end in case someone somehow missed it but if you can't see the racism inherent also then I doubt anyone could convince you. Why go on about cornflakes packets with languages besides English? Why the alarmist rhetoric about classes falling behind because half the students don't speak English? Then this bit:

"Now let’s see. Our government gives out free food, subsidized housing, free medical care and free education, and allows anyone born here to be an automatic citizen."

That's kinda how it works isn't it? If you're born in a country then that's your nationality at birth. Otherwise why the desperation for Obama to be born in Kenya?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The allegory was obvious.
We know. :idunno:

If you can't see the racism inherent also then I doubt anyone could convince you.
There is no inherent racism. A guy builds something, finds out it is causing problems and takes it away.

Where is the "inherent racism"?

Why go on about cornflakes packets with languages besides English?
Why not?

Why the alarmist rhetoric about classes falling behind because half the students don't speak English?
They're government schools, right? Alarmism is the correct response.

That's kinda how it works isn't it? If you're born in a country then that's your nationality at birth. Otherwise why the desperation for Obama to be born in Kenya?

:AMR:

What?

And who is Obama?

Arthur Brain

We know. :idunno:

Oh good.

There is no inherent racism. A guy builds something, finds out it is causing problems and takes it away.

Where is the "inherent racism"?

That's about as simple and as dumb a response as the story itself.

Why moan about something perfectly reasonable to start with?

They're government schools, right? Alarmism is the correct response.

Not if it's based on asinine ignorance it isn't, which this is.

:AMR:

What?

And who is Obama?

Then explain what it means by 'being allowed to be an automatic citizen' when born in America. That's your country of birth if born there hence nationality and don't play coy, it doesn't suit you. You know fine well who Obama is and the laughable attempts here to insist that he was Kenyan by birth.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oh good. That's about as simple and as dumb a response as the story itself. Why moan about something perfectly reasonable to start with? Not if it's based on asinine ignorance it isn't, which this is. Then explain what it means by 'being allowed to be an automatic citizen' when born in America. That's your country of birth if born there hence nationality and don't play coy, it doesn't suit you. You know fine well who Obama is and the laughable attempts here to insist that he was Kenyan by birth.

I think you've about reached your limit of comprehensible input. :thumb:

Arthur Brain

I think you've about reached your limit of comprehensible input. :thumb:

Typical Stripe mode again when lacking response. It's a wonder you didn't go on a dumb evolution mantra that had nothing to do with the thread anyway.

For a supposed English teacher you're none too good at reading between the lines...

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Typical Stripe mode again when lacking response.
Nope.

Your post made little or no sense. There was some value in the conversation up till then. OP has no racist content, but you see some in it. If your analysis had weight, you would be able to say what it is that the guy did that is racist. However, as is obvious, all he did was build a bird feeder and then take it down.

No white-hooded men or disparaging remarks to be seen. :idunno:

It's a wonder you didn't go on a dumb evolution mantra that had nothing to do with the thread anyway.
"On an evolution mantra." :chuckle:

For a supposed English teacher you're none too good at reading between the lines...

As luck would have it, I'm not a teacher.

And if your argument relies on reading between the lines to find racism, I'm happy to stick with the fundamentalists' approach where the words mean what they plainly say, unless you have good reason to say otherwise.

In the hunt for good reason from the Darwinists, little is to be found.

Greg Jennings

The point is that human beings are about as valuable as songbirds, and they act like animals so you may as well just let them starve.

And, how DARE I be confronted with any other language but English.
How DARE anyone ask for more rights?

I don't know how someone who is a Christian can espouse this point of view. It's hateful, bigoted and merciless. You're entitled to an opinion, but don't pretend it's a righteous one.

Maybe this is slightly off topic, but do you think that citizens should be required to be able to speak English?

It's very difficult to get a good education and have a successful professional career in this country without that ability. I'm not saying that other languages should be shunned but imo you really need to know English to be your most successful self in this country

Greg Jennings

The allegory was obvious although hardly reasoned or reasonable. It's even spelled out at the end in case someone somehow missed it but if you can't see the racism inherent also then I doubt anyone could convince you. Why go on about cornflakes packets with languages besides English? Why the alarmist rhetoric about classes falling behind because half the students don't speak English? Then this bit:

"Now let’s see. Our government gives out free food, subsidized housing, free medical care and free education, and allows anyone born here to be an automatic citizen."

I think that's more a reference to people who come here in order to have a child here that instantly becomes a US citizen, then leave. That still happens. Those people are not limited to any race

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
:darwinsm:There is a perfectly sensible story about the reasonable actions of a man with a bird feeder. You made up a whole lot of stuff about his motivations that do not fit.
I'm sure you feel that way. I set out my position and reasoning, left it capable of examination and rebuttal by the same faculty and means: reason.

Instead I get declaration at odds with what I did about what I did (and an inordinate, consuming amount of attention paid to me in lieu of particulars about my argument) and:

Positively Jeffersonian. :poly:

He is within the story. Outside of the story he represents a large group of people, as do the birds. That's my point, what and how they represent, what the author attempts and what it speaks to about his intent.

And you pretend that this is some great racist insult.

No, I said the narrative/story had a rhetorically racist subtext. Then I told you why.

Nope. It's just a story.
Not even the author believes that or uses it as "just a story". Not even you believe it, continuing to beat the allegory drum, which isn't "just a story". And I've agreed from the start with you and the author on that, so you're arguing with yourself--good luck with that. He's not going to listen.

Which means nothing except you've confirmed that logical fallacies are the main arrows in your quiver.
That's just your ongoing messenger themed approach. You haven't done more than declare it.

Only if you make up a new story and pretend that was the one OP posted.
I never made up a new story. I examined the one in place, it's approach, rhetorical use, and logical shortcomings. Your response to that has been almost entirely about me.

But wait, I feel another riveting, logical, part driven and particular rebuttal coming:

:plain: Okay then, get back to what you're apparently here to do:

whine ...didn't work for you.Your analysis was shoddy. You got called on it.
Ah, the "showing up" train again. . . It could use rails.

Yeah, the third time is the charm? That was still mine and I'm still wondering what the deal is with you and the quote function.

So...I'd love to respond to a cogent rebuttal and illustration on some actual fault that can be set out within my particular and illustrated criticisms of the narrative, but from here on I'm not going to do much more with your approach than find ways to at least make it entertaining. :think: I'm an optimist.

Last edited: