California makes it legal for children to be prostitutes

musterion

Ms. Dainty is a lying idiot

Ms. Dainty is a lying idiot

I would ask if you actually read the California law but it's obvious you didn't.

Soliciting for sex is a crime no matter what age the victim is.

You've implied you have read the law. Okay, cite from the law that refutes this...

SB 1322 bars law enforcement from arresting sex workers who are under the age of 18 for soliciting or engaging in prostitution, or loitering with the intent to do so.

...and I'll close the thread as in error.

Statutory rape is still a crime.
Exploitation of a minor is still a crime.
Child sexual abuse is still a crime.
Pimping is still a crime.

Irrelevant to the point of this thread.

The only thing changes is that the child forced into prostitution is treated like a victim not a criminal.

This thread isn't about children who are FORCED, idiot.

Cite where the law does not exempt free agent whores -- those not the victims of pimps, those who nobody forced into prostitution -- from arrest and prosecution. That would prove the article wrong and I'll close the thread.

The police in California can take children involved in prostitution into protective custody and get them away form the people exploiting them.

Again...those aren't who the article focused on.

So sad that you are a petty knee jerk reactionary with below average reading skills. But you're choosing to be an idiot, you pansy.

jeffblue101

this bill empowers manipulative adults, pimps can now manipulate desperate teens that their actions will never get them in trouble.

Paving the road to Hell: California decriminalizes child prostitution
Likely, the children who are released will return to the domination of the pimp. Moreover, the lack of a criminal charge means that the child cannot be compelled to testify against his pimp or the pedophile exploiting him.

The law, despite its good intentions, results in less protection for the child. Pimps control their “merchandise” by coercion with threats of bodily harm to the child or to his relatives, sometimes by forced drug addiction. The law will encourage pimps to target minors because minors will be able to return to the sex trade faster than adults after being caught....

Since much of the sex trade marketing takes place over the internet, the law gives protection to a techno-savvy teen who pimps him- or herself online. Such a teen could make $500 per week working only five hours without the risk of arrest or a criminal record. Without any deterrent, the savvy sexualized teen might consider sex work a good alternative to flipping burgers.

In essence, California’s new law does more harm than good since it does not require a child prostitute to be placed in a rehab program for a significant period of time. Detention would deter pimps from seeking minors and might lead to the outing of pedophiles.

While S.B. 1322 was passed to help child prostitutes, in reality, it protects manipulative adults. The California law removes the stigma surrounding child prostitution. After his 18th birthday, then the young adult is subject to adult penalties for illegal behavior.

MrDante

You've implied you have read the law. Okay, cite from the law that refutes this...

California penal code 653.20-653.28

SB-1322

...and I'll close the thread as in error.
No you won't, you aren't that honest.

This thread isn't about children who are FORCED, idiot.
Cite in your OP where you stated this.

Cite where the law does not exempt free agent whores -- those not the victims of pimps, those who nobody forced into prostitution -- from arrest and prosecution. That would prove the article wrong and I'll close the thread.
of course you won't

Again...those aren't who the article focused on.
Really? Because that is all your linked article talked about:

"The unintended but predictable consequence of how the real villains — pimps and other traffickers in human misery — will respond to this new law isn't difficult to foresee."

"only incentivize the increased exploitation of underage girls."

"which translates into bigger and better cash flow for the pimps."

"Simply put, more time on the street and less time in jail means more money for pimps, and more victims for them to exploit."

So sad that you are a petty knee jerk reactionary with below average reading skills. But you're choosing to be an idiot, you pansy.
Musterion - not bright enough to read his own links.

MrDante

this bill empowers manipulative adults, pimps can now manipulate desperate teens that their actions will never get them in trouble.

Paving the road to Hell: California decriminalizes child prostitution

Likely, the children who are released will return to the domination of the pimp.

Children taken into protective custody cannot by law just be turned back out onto the streets

Moreover, the lack of a criminal charge means that the child cannot be compelled to testify against his pimp or the pedophile exploiting him
that is just false. Not being arrested doesn't excuse them from their civic duty. The law does provide minors involved in prostitution to give testimony through affidavit and not in the presence of their former pimp

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
The juvenile standard is generally more severe for small crimes, and less severe for major crimes. An adolescent could get several months locked up for a misdemeanor where an adult could get no time at all, and yet an adolescent could do six months for a felony that an adult could do several years for.

It makes less and less sense that they would pass a bill which doesn't arrest minors for a degree of crime judges usually smack them with.

glassjester

You never read the law itself. Or bothered to read up on just what happens when a minor is taken into police custody by the plice

This is from the text of the bill.

A peace officer may place a person in civil protective custody with that kind and degree of force that would be lawful were he or she effecting an arrest for a misdemeanor without a warrant. A person who has been placed in civil protective custody shall not thereafter be subject to any criminal prosecution or juvenile court proceeding based on the facts giving rise to this placement.

So how about addressing this:

From http://www.ocregister.com/articles/minors-740461-california-prostitution.html

Minors enmeshed in prostitution are victims who need our help to escape a tragic, degrading life. Logical solutions would include increasing penalties for johns and pimps, intensifying law enforcement activity and bolstering rehabilitative services. Instead, SB1322 empowers pimps and predators to expand their exploitation. Ask yourself which is more valuable to a pimp: a prostitute who can be arrested or one who can’t? Who do underage prostitutes fear more: the police or their pimps? Pimps will now instruct minor prostitutes to simply walk away from police. Cops can only send their information to county social services agencies or take them into temporary custody in cases of imminent physical danger. Even then, these exploited minors are free to walk out the door and back onto the streets the next day.

Removing underage prostitutes from the juvenile delinquency court’s jurisdiction deprives law enforcement of indispensable tools for keeping juvenile prostitutes off the street, in rehabilitation and away from their pimps’ control. The California juvenile delinquency system’s purpose is rehabilitation over punishment, which is why juvenile records are usually sealed for most crimes, including prostitution.

glassjester

Not if it's declared legal.
An aborted baby should be a victim, but since it's legal to do so, the child cannot legally be considered a victim because no legal crime occurred.
Right?

Right, but I don't see how that parallels the bill in question.

In the case of abortion, the killing itself was decriminalized.

In this situation, the selling of sex by a minor is legal, but the buying of sex from a minor is still illegal.

Don't get me wrong, I think this law is insane. But I don't see it as a road to legal buying of sex from minors.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Right, but I don't see how that parallels the bill in question.

In the case of abortion, the killing itself was decriminalized.

In this situation, the selling of sex by a minor is legal, but the buying of sex from a minor is still illegal.

Don't get me wrong, I think this law is insane. But I don't see it as a road to legal buying of sex from minors.
And I think that is exactly what others here have said will be the loophole they present to counter.

If the law says it's LEGAL for a minor to sell their sexual favors to adults, then the law has eliminated sexual favors of minors to adults as criminal.
It order for it to be legal to sell something, there has to be by necessity a buyer involved.
In this law a minor can legally sell her sexual favors to any adult. Both minor & adult are included in this law.

Can of worms.

glassjester

Can of worms.

Yeah, that's for sure.

But I'm still not sold on this slippery slope idea.

Under this law, an under-age prostitute is basically offering himself/herself as a victim of a crime. A willing victim, however, doesn't necessarily rid the perpetrator of guilt.

If a child allows a grown man to beat the living crap out of him, the adult can still be charged with child abuse and assault, right?

The idea being that the child cannot legally consent, in the first place, and the adult is supposed to know enough to say no to committing the crime.

I have only two problems with this bill. In the case of children forced into prostitution - pimps will want to use prostitutes who can't be arrested (now, children).

And it allows for no real way to stop children who willingly engage in prostitution.

musterion

what's the difference in not being illegal and legalizing. how would the wording be any different?

Ask Ms. Dainty because that's exactly the point. He's lazily arguing that the very premise of the article, and this thread, are based on misreadings or non-readings of that law. I asked him to prove it from the law that he's implied he's read.

musterion

And I think that is exactly what others here have said will be the loophole they present to counter.

If the law says it's LEGAL for a minor to sell their sexual favors to adults, then the law has eliminated sexual favors of minors to adults as criminal.
It order for it to be legal to sell something, there has to be by necessity a buyer involved.
In this law a minor can legally sell her [OR HIS] sexual favors to any adult. Both minor & adult are included in this law.

Can of worms.

Bravo, sister.