Give me biblical support for Christmas.

balut55

But then He wasn't when He physically removed the money changers from the temple...

Would that we would rid our own temples of such exchanges of vanities...

Just a preview of the what he will do when he gets here.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I can give you one not supporting Christmas.
I support Christmas. Most folks get time off for it, so it's a great time to get a group together and and have a feast, with wine.

I just don't think it's a holiday demanded by scripture.

clefty

He must have been dreaming.
WAKE UP Mickiel!

Ummm...I think he will wake up when you produce a commandment to celebrate Christmas...or even a slight reference to add tradition...he might have fallen asleep waiting for one but it has yet to be produced...

See it's in the jots and tittles the details that so much can be learned and better understood...

Christians casually assume the last supper is the Passover meal...but it is not...they don't eat standing, sandles on staff in hand and INSIDE ALL NIGHT...they leave singing to go into the garden...

Oh and wine is not prescribed in the original exodus passover but was added later...as was the egg etc...

Little things like the officiating priest facing the congregation or not even divide the "one true church"...

All the thousands of additions to the traditions since the time the early church met house to house...

So no longer is it Christ MAss but all these changes...

To what end? For the comfort of the sheep? For to make appealing to the masses...

All good reasons yes?

But then I recall one struck dead for wishing to keep the traveling ark upright and not capsized...

Either He means what He says or we get to choose whenever whatever...compromises no martyr ever made...

But when has there been a martyr lately...notice that?

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ummm...I think he will wake up when you produce a commandment to celebrate Christmas
He'll be sleeping a long time.

Maybe while he's sleeping he can produce a commandment not to have a party with loved ones at Christmastime.

6days

To say a thing is not prescribed is not to say the observation is proscribed. This sort of hyperliteralism is needless and itself unprescribed. Where does the Bible condone pews and hymnals? And so on.

"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord." To what end was that birth? And there's your answer.

No, show me the proscription. Otherwise, Luke 2:10-12 [FONT=&quot]10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”

Or, Christ wasn't born quietly, without notice. Wise men attended and angels proclaimed. If you want precedent for noting the birthday, there it rests.[/FONT]

Good answer! He has seen lots of good answers now...

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Christians casually assume the last supper is the Passover meal
Not this one.

But I don't think the ones that do, do it 'casually'. I've seen them put some real thought into it and look at all the scriptures concerning it.

clefty

To say a thing is not prescribed is not to say the observation is proscribed. This sort of hyperliteralism is needless and itself unprescribed. Where does the Bible condone pews and hymnals? And so on.
hmmm...hymnals...the champion reformer Carlstadt banned music from the holy hour...but also images...seems to be a pattern here...

If celebrating the bday was important He would have said so...what He did say was to keep His Father's will which includes true worship not false...especially baptising pagan customs...a practice Israel did throughout the OT known as idolatry...

"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. Remember this day and celebrate it with trees and giving of gifts et al"To what end was that birth? And there's your answer.
there changed it for you in order to say what you wish it to say...

No, show me the proscription. Otherwise, Luke 2:10-12 [FONT="][FONT=Arial][B]10 [/B][/FONT]But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. [b]And a list of new customs and traditions to observe this glorious day. You can pick up copies at the temple."[/b][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT="] [/FONT][FONT="][FONT=Arial][B]11 [/B][/FONT]Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord.[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT="] [/FONT][FONT="]12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger. Next to the tree so nicely decorated to represent the life everlasting He will bring after He hangs on it.”

Really have to keep making some changes to have it say what you want it to say...funny how one lie demands another and then another...

Or, Christ wasn't born quietly, without notice. Wise men attended and angels proclaimed. If you want precedent for noting the birthday, there it rests.[/FONT]

Walking on water was a precedent as was handling a snake...oh wait never mind...lol

The wise men came an entirely different day...the fact His birth occurred is not the issue is when and how and even why we should celebrate it as He didn't ask us to but asked us not to...

Only two birthdays in scripture pharaoh and Herod...and at each someone lost their head...you would cause the body of Christ to lose its Head by false worship otherwise known as idolatry...

Mickiel

In Rev. 12:9,it states that satan has deceived the "Whole World", so this unusual being has a very powerful ability to alter the human consciousness and do it in mass porportions at the same time. One way he does this is to make the deception " Enjoyable". In Genesis 3:6 the serpent took advantage of Eve because he knew what she was looking at was " Pleasant to the eyes." So satan is a master at decorating the poison. Making things that are hurtful seem helpful. Where biblical doctrines are concerned , satan polishes his deceptions with false senses of joy. Make the believer happy to celebrate something that is pagan that God does not like , but get them used to all the joyful trappings ; get the whole world in fact ,not just believers ,moving in the same direction with smiles on their faces.

The devil knows that a sincere study of paganism and history , and the bible itself would show that Christmas is pagan, but he knows that the average believer does not study like that ,neither does the world. So he has the whole world celebrating a pagan ritual, but he wisely ,in the past , makes it seem like its a birthday celebration of Jesus , and the bible clearly never teaches the celebrating of birthdays. But satan can create a doctrine that is totally unbiblical , then get bible believing people to obey these doctrine of demons. He somehow decorates the deceptions in the consciousness of the well meaning believers.

Oh it may not be or seem important , some believers may reason ; what's the big deal? Its just a holiday , its fun and happy! But see , over the years , slowly , satan has implanted so many of these false teachings that Christianity will never be the same as it once was. So much deception is right there in the same pot , that each generation of believers are learning deception and absorbing it as truth. This is not the fault of the believers , its just a powerful well done " Set up."

Stunningly well done.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Really have to keep making some changes to have it say what you want it to say
I'm still looking for anyone here that has said anything like that to begin with.
Where are these phantoms that ya'll keep arguing against????????????

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
hmmm...hymnals...the champion reformer Carlstadt banned music from the holy hour...but also images...seems to be a pattern here...
The point being that the absence of promotion isn't evidence of proscription.

If celebrating the bday was important He would have said so.
There's a profound difference between the question of whether we're commanded to (we aren't) or whether we are forbidden (we aren't) which seemed the point of inquiry here.

..what He did say was to keep His Father's will which includes true worship not false...especially baptising pagan customs...a practice Israel did throughout the OT known as idolatry...
Supra.

there changed it for you in order to say what you wish it to say...
No, what I want is an honest examination of the question and to offer one earnest response. I don't alter scripture. I'm fairly sure we're commanded not to, even in the service of a snarky point.

Really have to keep making some changes to have it say what you want it to say...funny how one lie demands and other and then another...
You might have an astigmatism. What I'm actually saying is as clear as your pointless hostility in relation to it. There is what we are commanded to do, which nothing I've written suggests is the case here (in fact I've noted we are not) and there is what we are permitted.

Walking on water was a precedent as was handling a snake...oh wait never mind...lol
Precedent for what? Christ could have come into the world without notice. He didn't. If the gospel authors feel comfortable speaking to that, I don't know why we should be less bold or read something nefarious into it. And you haven't given me a single reason to think differently, except of you and your methodology.

The wise men came an entirely different day...the fact His birth occurred is not the issue is when and how and even why we should celebrate it as He didn't ask us to but asked us not to...
In no particular order, I still haven't suggested he asked us to or commanded it and I refer you to my last point and the scriptural note of the birth. If it didn't trouble those entrusted with the narrative of Christ it doesn't trouble me. If it bothers you, by all means refrain.

you would cause the body of Christ to lose its Head by false worship otherwise known as idolatry...
Not even a little true given, for the who knows how many times now, I've been clear its celebration isn't a commandment and there's nothing false in it that can't be set at the feet of the gospels. You might want to bone up on Titus.

Mickiel

Then show by the bible itself that having a party on Dec 25th is pagan.

In my view its not wrong to throw a party on Dec. the 25th , nor is that pagan, but when you make that party out to be a biblical event that God has sanctioned or that Jesus has died for ,now it gets serious.

I mean I know you want to argue and debate this, I know how you see this ; I know to you it means nothing.

But Christianity is getting dumped on by satan ; jumped on by satan. Targeted by satan.

https://www.ucg.org/vertical-thought/paganism-in-christianity

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The devil knows that a sincere study of paganism and history
You know, that sounds an awful lot like some of the Christians you were criticizing earlier. So my options are to agree with you or I cannot be either sincere or studious...hard to distinguish that from any zealot a moment before the condemnation to hell begins. You might want to reconsider the methodology, or your earlier critique. One of them has to go.

, and the bible itself would show that Christmas is pagan
Well, no. The Bible shows men arriving to celebrate the birth of Christ, a star in the heavens and angels proclaiming it to shepherds. Noting that triumphant note of beginning isn't pagan if it's centered on Christ and not confused with a sacrament. What another man has in his heart is between the man and God. All we can do is promote what is in our own. I'd suggest that all this sort of thing can accomplish is a division that in no part touches upon the salvic, and invites stumbling and discord without sufficient cause.

the bible clearly never teaches the celebrating of birthdays.
There's also nothing in it about wedding anniversaries or the internet. The Bible is silent on any number of things that are a part of our lives and that silence shouldn't be read as commentary.

But satan can create a doctrine that is totally unbiblical
And if any brother, literally any, promotes the celebration of Christmas as an edict or sacrament, you'd be right to warn them off of it. Hopefully with a gentle word and conversation.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In my view its not wrong to throw a party on Dec. the 25th , nor is that pagan,
YAY!

but when you make that party out to be a biblical event that God has sanctioned or that Jesus has died for ,now it gets serious.
Who here has said that???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I mean I know you want to argue and debate this,
ROFL!
No one here has even made the argument you are debating!!!!!!!!
No one here has said that Dec 25th is a holy holiday ordained by GOD to celebrate the birth of Christ.
So just who is that you think is arguing against you?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
In my view its not wrong to throw a party on Dec. the 25th , nor is that pagan, but when you make that party out to be a biblical event that God has sanctioned or that Jesus has died for ,now it gets serious.

I mean I know you want to argue and debate this, I know how you see this ; I know to you it means nothing.

But Christianity is getting dumped on by satan ; jumped on by satan. Targeted by satan.

https://www.ucg.org/vertical-thought/paganism-in-christianity

I encountered your current obsession from a guy by the name of Herbert W. Armstrong in 1980. He was obsessed and so are you. Satan keeps you guys wrapped up in these obsessions and therefore completely off message.

Get truly saved through the gospel of grace and become a true ambassador for Christ for His glory.

Mickiel

I encountered your current obsession from a guy by the name of Herbert W. Armstrong in 1980. He was obsessed and so are you. Satan keeps you guys wrapped up in these obsessions and therefore completely off message.

Get truly saved through the gospel of grace and become a true ambassador for Christ for His glory.

Would it be an obsession of me to notice you are assuming I am not saved? A common Christian judgment. I guess I am obsessed with all the ungodly nuances Christians always assume.