Do You Believe the "Historical Gospel" of Jesus Christ?

Robert Pate

Banned
There is only one Gospel that justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:19. If you don't believe this Gospel you don't have the right to call yourself a Christian.

The "Historical Gospel" is the end of the Old Covenant, the law and the Jewish religion. It is also the end of all religions. While Jesus was dying on the cross God tore the veil that covered the "Holy of Holies" from the top to the bottom, Matthew 27:51. This event signified the end of the old Covenant, the law and the Jewish religion. It also signified the beginning of the New Covenant. Under the New Covenant, "The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17 and not by rules, laws or religion. If you are living by rules, laws or religion, you are under the Old Covenant and are lost.

In the Gospel Jesus comes into the world as God's new Adam and our new humanity. Jesus embraces our humanity and becomes one with us, but not one of us. All that Jesus did in his life, death and resurrection was for our justification. Jesus was not only God with us, Jesus was God for us. By his sinless life he offered to God the Father a life of perfect obedience to his Holy Law. He did this in our name and on our behalf.

"To declare, I say, at this time HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS: that he might be just and the JUSTIFIER of him that believes in Jesus" Romans 3:26.

Jesus justifies us by doing for us that which we cannot do for ourselves. Because we are sinners we do not have a righteousness that meets the demands of God's Holy Law. Even our very best is sin and cannot please God. God's law demands perfection. Paul said, "There is none righteous, no, not one" Romans 3:10. Because of Adam's sin the whole world stands guilty before God, Romans 3:19.

The fact that Jesus fulfilled the law for us was not enough. Something had to be done about our sins and the sins of the whole world.

"For he has made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be MADE the righteousness of God in him" 2 Corinthians 5:21

Jesus took our sins and the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2 upon himself and in doing so destroyed sin, death and the devil. The "Historical Gospel" is the good news that in Jesus Christ we have been justified, sanctified and redeemed, 1 Corinthians 1:30. All who have faith in Christ and his Gospel now stand before God as perfect and complete "In Christ", Colossians 2:10. There is no longer any need for a religion. Spiritually, we are "In Christ" and Christ is in heaven, Colossians 3:3.

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
There is only one Gospel that justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:19. If you don't believe this Gospel you don't have the right to call yourself a Christian.

The "Historical Gospel" is the end of the Old Covenant, the law and the Jewish religion. It is also the end of all religions. While Jesus was dying on the cross God tore the veil that covered the "Holy of Holies" from the top to the bottom, Matthew 27:51. This event signified the end of the old Covenant, the law and the Jewish religion. It also signified the beginning of the New Covenant. Under the New Covenant, "The Just Shall Live By Faith" Romans 1:17 and not by rules, laws or religion. If you are living by rules, laws or religion, you are under the Old Covenant and are lost.

In the Gospel Jesus comes into the world as God's new Adam and our new humanity. Jesus embraces our humanity and becomes one with us, but not one of us. All that Jesus did in his life, death and resurrection was for our justification. Jesus was not only God with us, Jesus was God for us. By his sinless life he offered to God the Father a life of perfect obedience to his Holy Law. He did this in our name and on our behalf.

"To declare, I say, at this time HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS: that he might be just and the JUSTIFIER of him that believes in Jesus" Romans 3:26.

Jesus justifies us by doing for us that which we cannot do for ourselves. Because we are sinners we do not have a righteousness that meets the demands of God's Holy Law. Even our very best is sin and cannot please God. God's law demands perfection. Paul said, "There is none righteous, no, not one" Romans 3:10. Because of Adam's sin the whole world stands guilty before God, Romans 3:19.

The fact that Jesus fulfilled the law for us was not enough. Something had to be done about our sins and the sins of the whole world.

"For he has made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be MADE the righteousness of God in him" 2 Corinthians 5:21

Jesus took our sins and the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2 upon himself and in doing so destroyed sin, death and the devil. The "Historical Gospel" is the good news that in Jesus Christ we have been justified, sanctified and redeemed, 1 Corinthians 1:30. All who have faith in Christ and his Gospel now stand before God as perfect and complete "In Christ", Colossians 2:10. There is no longer any need for a religion. Spiritually, we are "In Christ" and Christ is in heaven, Colossians 3:3.
This is beautiful! It exalts our Lord and Savior beyond measure! "God for us"

Thank you! You have uplifted my soul and Spirit.

Jesus bless you Robert!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using TheologyOnline mobile app

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The fact that Jesus fulfilled the law for us was not enough.

Jesus fulfilled the Law of Moses for Israel, Jacob's people.

Jesus did not fulfill the Mosaic law for North Koreans or for the Chinese or for Americans, none of whom were ever under the jurisdiction of Moses' law.

Robert Pate

Banned

Jesus did not fulfill the Mosaic law for North Koreans or for the Chinese or for Americans, none of whom were ever under the jurisdiction of Moses' law.

If the whole world stands guilty before God because of the law, then everyone would be included.

"Now we know that what things soever the law says, it says to them that are under the law: THAT EVERY MOUTH MAY BE STOPPED AND ALL OF THE WORLD MAY BECOME GUILTY BEFORE GOD" Romans 3:19.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

What part of "the whole world" do you not understand?

Epoisses

For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. Rom. 7:14 The law has a spiritual component Jamie, this might be why Paul contrasted the spirit and the letter of the law over and over and over. Only Israel was under the letter of the law or the Torah but all men are governed by the spiritual component or the love of God. For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another Rom. 2:14,15

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned
For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. Rom. 7:14 The law has a spiritual component Jamie, this might be why Paul contrasted the spirit and the letter of the law over and over and over. Only Israel was under the letter of the law or the Torah but all men are governed by the spiritual component or the love of God. For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another Rom. 2:14,15

Law unto themselves.....

One of Pauls most important teachings!

Amen

Sent from my iPad using TOL ~Jesus is the Theology and the Counselor is the Commentary

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
What part of "the whole world" do you not understand?

Did you read Romans 3:19? Pate thinks the Romans and Greeks and everybody else was under the law.

Since the law required circumcision he probably believes the whole world was circumcised.

Epoisses

Did you read Romans 3:19? Pate thinks the Romans and Greeks and everybody else was under the law.

Since the law required circumcision he probably believes the whole world was circumcised.

The law condemns sin and the whole world lies in sin. Jamie is the reason for Paul's harsh language toward women. They just shouldn't speak sometimes.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
All the usual suspects are gathered here on this thread, which was started by none other than Robert Pate-
so let's just get to the point :)

Romans 8:7 is all about sovereign election.

Romans 3:19 reveals that everyone was subject to the consequences of the Law, not just followers of it.

What people fail to realize about the Law is how natural it is- it is something that men could largely gather on their own if it weren't for their own desires or self-righteous mindset getting in the way.

Christianity isn't so much a 'religion of peace' so much as it is a 'religion of immunity'. Christians were largely martyred because their god promised a guaranteed destruction on everyone else- that each cross that went into the ground was just another sword being peirced into the world.

And that made the Romans mad. Follow Christ? Follow him to this stake. Follow the Lion? We'll feed you to lions.

All the people who were willing enough to believe in Christ were, incidentally enough, among the poor and those whom God favored of the Jews from the get go. And that is where sovereign election kicks in.

When 'faith' and 'works' are spoken of, it is typically speaking in light of the rich and powerful who perform works in contrast to the poor who live by faith. This is something that most people overlook, but the audience in which every teaching and parable was spoken to was the faithful poor. A wealthy man's works do not solve anything, period- otherwise things would not be the way they are.

They made the influence and powers that be look puny and futile, and they did it through emphasizing that God has already chosen His people. The elect, from a sovereign elector.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Romans 3:19 reveals that everyone was subject to the consequences of the Law, not just followers of it.

Did Adam die as a consequence of Mosaic law?

Why is it so hard to understand that Christ brought Jacob's people out of Egypt and gave them a law in Arabia?

Christ gave them a law through Moses. Was that law for the world in general?

Did Christ expect all men who were able to appear three times a year in Jerusalem, and not to come empty?

Actually, there was sin before the law and sin during the law. Today no one is under Mosaic law.

Robert Pate

Banned
Did Adam die as a consequence of Mosaic law?

Why is it so hard to understand that Christ brought Jacob's people out of Egypt and gave them a law in Arabia?

Christ gave them a law through Moses. Was that law for the world in general?

Did Christ expect all men who were able to appear three times a year in Jerusalem, and not to come empty?

Actually, there was sin before the law and sin during the law. Today no one is under Mosaic law.

To be under the law is to be under condemnation. This is why Paul said to the Galatians, "Tell me that you desire to be under the law, DO YOU NOT HEAR THE LAW? Galatians 4:21.

The law demands perfection. No one has it to offer.

In the judgment if you are not found to be "In Christ" you will perish.

To be "In Christ" means that you are trusting in his righteousness and in his atonement for your sins, plus nothing.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
To be under the law is to be under condemnation.

No, to be "under" the law means to be subject to the law. Violators will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

The Father gave the law to his firstborn son for the purpose of establishing a civil society and peace in the land.

Interplanner

Just a small improvement: "Jesus justifies us by doing for us..." It would be better if this were more historical "...by having done for us what we could not..." because there are people who think that justification is a transformation going on inside us right now (although most of them say it was at the 'beginning' of a Christian's life.)

Things simply snowball into confusion when justification and transformation are confused, or perhaps more clearly, when we forget there is a legal or debt problem aspect to salvation.

Nameless.In.Grace

BANNED
Banned

So you believe the whole world was under God's law? Or do you need to go by what Paul said?

Pay attention to the connection to the key words, Sin, Law, Guardian, Curse, Perfection, imprison and any other of the sort in these verses.

These are indeed all connected!

Galatians 3

22 But the Scripture has imprisoned everything under sin’s power,[q] so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe. 23 Before this faith came, we were confined under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith was revealed. 24 The law, then, was our guardian[r] until Christ, so that we could be justified by faith. 25 But since that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, 26 for you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

Ezekiel 28

You were the seal[c] of perfection,[d]
full of wisdom and perfect in beauty.
13 You were in Eden, the garden of God.
Every kind of precious stone covered you:
carnelian, topaz, and diamond,[e]
beryl, onyx, and jasper,
sapphire,[f] turquoise[g] and emerald.[h]
Your mountings and settings were crafted in gold;
they were prepared on the day you were created.
14 You were an anointed guardian cherub,
for I had appointed you.
You were on the holy mountain of God;
you walked among the fiery stones.
15 From the day you were created
you were blameless in your ways
until wickedness was found in you.
16 Through the abundance of your trade,
you were filled with violence, and you sinned.
So I expelled you in disgrace
from the mountain of God,
and banished you, guardian cherub,[j]
from among the fiery stones.
17 Your heart became proud because of your beauty;
For the sake of your splendor
you corrupted your wisdom.
So I threw you down to the earth;
I made you a spectacle before kings.
18 You profaned your sanctuaries
by the magnitude of your iniquities
in your dishonest trade.

1 Cor 15:55:

55 Death, where is your victory?
Death, where is your sting?[p]
56 Now the sting of death is sin,
and the power of sin is the law.
57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory
through our Lord Jesus Christ!

Isaiah 14:

12 Shining morning star,[c]
how you have fallen from the heavens!
You destroyer of nations,
you have been cut down to the ground.
13 You said to yourself:
“I will ascend to the heavens;
I will set up my throne
above the stars of God.
I will sit on the mount of the gods’ assembly,
in the remotest parts of the North.[d]
14 I will ascend above the highest clouds;
I will make myself like the Most High.”
15 But you will be brought down to Sheol
into the deepest regions of the Pit.

Romans 7:

What should we say then? Is the law sin? Absolutely not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin if it were not for the law. For example, I would not have known what it is to covet if the law had not said, Do not covet.[d] 8 And sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, produced in me coveting of every kind. For apart from the law sin is dead. 9 Once I was alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life 10 and I died. The commandment that was meant for life resulted in death for me. 11 For sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me, and through it killed me. 12 So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy and just and good.

Genesis 3:

Now the serpent was the most cunning of all the wild animals that the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You can’t eat from any tree in the garden’?”

2 The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat the fruit from the trees in the garden. 3 But about the fruit of the tree in the middle of the garden, God said, ‘You must not eat it or touch it, or you will die.’”

4 “No! You will not die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “In fact, God knows that when[a] you eat it your eyes will be opened and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” 6 Then the woman saw that the tree was good for food and delightful to look at, and that it was desirable for obtaining wisdom. So she took some of its fruit and ate it; she also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they knew they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made loincloths for themselves.

Sin’s Consequences
8 Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden at the time of the evening breeze,[c] and they hid themselves from the Lord God among the trees of the garden. 9 So the Lord God called out to the man and said to him, “Where are you?”

10 And he said, “I heard You[d] in the garden and I was afraid because I was naked, so I hid.”

11 Then He asked, “Who told you that you were naked? Did you eat from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?”

12 Then the man replied, “The woman You gave to be with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate.”

13 So the Lord God asked the woman, “What is this you have done?”

And the woman said, “It was the serpent. He deceived me, and I ate.”

14 Then the Lord God said to the serpent:

Because you have done this,
you are cursed more than any livestock
and more than any wild animal.
You will move on your belly
and eat dust all the days of your life.
15 I will put hostility between you and the woman,
and between your seed and her seed.
He will strike your head,
and you will strike his heel.
16 He said to the woman:

I will intensify your labor pains;
you will bear children in anguish.
Your desire will be for your husband,
yet he will rule over you.
17 And He said to Adam, “Because you listened to your wife’s voice and ate from the tree about which I commanded you, ‘Do not eat from it’:

The ground is cursed because of you.
You will eat from it by means of painful labor[e]
all the days of your life.
18 It will produce thorns and thistles for you,
and you will eat the plants of the field.
19 You will eat bread[f] by the sweat of your brow
until you return to the ground,
since you were taken from it.
For you are dust,
and you will return to dust.”
20 Adam named his wife Eve[g] because she was the mother of all the living. 21 The Lord God made clothing out of skins for Adam and his wife, and He clothed them.

22 The Lord God said, “Since man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil, he must not reach out, take from the tree of life, eat, and live forever.” 23 So the Lord God sent him away from the garden of Eden to work the ground from which he was taken. 24 He drove man out and stationed the cherubim and the flaming, whirling sword east of the garden of Eden to guard the way to the tree of life.

Galatians 3

For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, because it is written: Everyone who does not continue doing everything written in the book of the law is cursed.

Sent from my iPad using TOL ~Jesus is the Theology and the Counselor is the Commentary