Can a JW be a Christian.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hi,

Some year ago a few JWs came to my gate, and preached to me about Jesus Christ and His return to make all things new, and what kind of a paradise it will be.

I disagreed with that view in some ways and then said to them that they only believed what the watchtower society told them. (sounds like something from this board hey)

Anyway, one of them was very insulted that I had said that, but not angry against me but just insulted and hurt.

The thing is, that while he might have been guided somewhat by the watchtower society I was to learn (by hard experience) that he truly was seeking the Lord and he belonged to the Lord.

I would be more careful in the years to come, as I had hurt the Lord.

LA

beameup

Lived in a Jehovah's Witness home through High School and there were "home Bible studies".
The King James Version was still used.

Keep in mind that the Jehovah's Witnesses are, first and foremost, Anti-Catholic.
That's their "premise", "foundation" and starting-point on all of their "teaching".

Last edited:

musterion

"Unless you believe that I am HE (Lord or God) you will die in your sins" John 8:24.

Only God can save from sin.

That's why I asked LA the question. Any JW who comes to believe that is automatically no longer a JW. They're still not saved if they've not believed the saving Gospel, but the other JWs would shun them immediately if they knew of it.

God's Truth

Hi,

Some year ago a few JWs came to my gate, and preached to me about Jesus Christ and His return to make all things new, and what kind of a paradise it will be.

I disagreed with that view in some ways and then said to them that they only believed what the watchtower society told them. (sounds like something from this board hey)

Anyway, one of them was very insulted that I had said that, but not angry against me but just insulted and hurt.

The thing is, that while he might have been guided somewhat by the watchtower society I was to learn (by hard experience) that he truly was seeking the Lord and he belonged to the Lord.

LA

My experiences with some JW's is that they are quick to say those not in their denomination are not saved.

I believe Jesus who says they have so judged themselves.

Matthew 7:2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Hi,

LA

If he was still SEEKING the Lord, he still wasn't part of the Body of Christ yet.

God's Truth

That is true, but then most people (if they're brutally honest) would say pretty much the same thing. Denominations exist for a reason. Not defending it, just describing it as it is.
That is right, I believe that all denominations say that; however, there are people in those denominations who are caught up in them and are still teachable in God's Truth.

Apple7

The official JW website states that they are Christian.

But...to be a Christian means to follow and worship Christ.

Do JW's do this?

No.

Their very adopted name 'Jehovah Witness' imparts that they follow and worship Jehovah.

Thus...until they are willing admit that Jesus Christ IS Jehovah, they cannot call themselves Christians.

From the get-go, JW's are hypocrites who don't even have self-identity established...

Feral Phoenician

Jehovah's Witnesses are Arian Christians, yes? As in they don't believe Jesus is God, right? I'm not trying to "stir the pot", but does one have to believe that Jesus and God are the same Entity to be considered a Christian? My ex wife's church preached such a doctrine.

We have a plethora of them (Jehovah's Witnesses) in Arizona, and while they can be kind of annoying (knocking on my door on Saturday mornings so often that even my daughters roll their eyes), I've found them to be very nice and genuine people.

When I lived in an apartment shortly after my divorce, I used to find "Watchtower" magazines in the laundry room.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Do JW's believe that Jesus of Nazareth literally rose bodily from the dead or do they believe that His body that died on the cross was replaced with a different body?
Do JW's believe that Christ demonstrated victory over death by the continuing life of His physical body in His ascension, having physical life forever more, or do they believe that His earthly body disintegrated and was replaced with a former body of an angel?

Feral Phoenician

Hello.

Speaking of that, just yesterday I read an interesting article about the alleged difference between (spelling is probably off here) Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jews. I never knew there was such a controversy.
Spelled them just Fine! My mother is Ashkenazi (her family are Irish Jews* originally from Germany) and my father would fall into Sephardic, though he is actually Mizrahi ("Easterners", his great-grandparents were from Turkey).

There are numerous differences. One thing to remember about the Jewish Communities (not so much Judaism itself), is that there is "Religious in nature", "customary in nature", and "traditional in nature".

Both are Jews. Throw Falash/Falasha (Jews living in or from Ethiopia) into the mix, or even the Jews of India and, heck, even the former Jewish Community from China (Kaifeng), and you've got a mixed bag.

*There is a joke about Irish Jews that "we drink our way through medical school".