ECT The Righteousness Which is of God

Jerry Shugart

Here Paul speaks of a "righteousness which is of God" which comes to a person by his "faith":

"And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faithfulness of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith" (Phil.3:9).​

That is the same thing Paul said here when he writes of the grace of God:

"But now the righteousness of God without law is made known, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is by the faithfulness of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus"
(Ro.3:21-24).​

The believer's righteousness is not based on his own works of law but instead he receives the righteousness which is of God.

Here Paul speaks of some who were trying to establish their own righteousness:

"For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of law for righteousness to every one that believeth" (Ro.10:2-4).​

What we must realize is the fact that when we try to establish our own righteousness it always comes up short. That is why our own righteousness is described this way:

"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away"
(Isa.64:6).​

Interplanner

It's a good intro Jerry. it is also a thing featured in many OT psalms and prophets that is supposed to come at the end of time; Messiah brings in 'everlasting righteousness' in Dan 9; Rom 3 says it has now been manifested in the Gospel.

Jerry Shugart

It's a good intro Jerry. it is also a thing featured in many OT psalms and prophets that is supposed to come at the end of time; Messiah brings in 'everlasting righteousness' in Dan 9; Rom 3 says it has now been manifested in the Gospel.

The passage from Daniel 9 has not yet been fulfilled:

"Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy" (Dan.9:24).​

It is ridiculous to argue that "everlasting righteousness" has been brought unto Daniel's holy city, Jerusalem!

ttruscott

Here Paul speaks of a "righteousness which is of God" which comes to a person by his "faith":
"And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faithfulness of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith" (Phil.3:9).​
Yet even though and while we are covered by the righteousness that came from GOD by faith, we, that is, every legitimate child of GOD in Christ, must also be trained in righteousness to have peace with GOD, Heb 12:5-11.

Since this discipline is said to be painful and refers to being scourged (whipped by the cat of nine tails) it obviously denotes a failure to choose righteousness. This method of becoming sanctified by the trial and error of obedience and disobedience conforms to the idea that our rebirth breaks / cures our addictive enslavement to sin and returns us to our free will...Galatians 5:13 You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. Our freedom is free to indulge carnally or to serve lovingly.

It also makes it obvious that our being in the righteousness of Christ allows us into the grace of GOD but does not sanctify us into full righteous holiness which needs to be chosen by our trained, but free, will.

Jerry Shugart

It also makes it obvious that our being in the righteousness of Christ allows us into the grace of GOD but does not sanctify us into full righteous holiness which needs to be chosen by our trained, but free, will.

In our "walk" we are to keep ourselves holy:

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service" (Ro.12:1).​

But in regard to our "standing before God" (Eph.2:6) we are "perfected for ever":

"By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all...For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified"
(Heb.10:10,14).​

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Abe was credited with God's righteousness. Care to elaborate Dr Harry?
It was not Abe's righteousness that was acredited to him...

Jerry Shugart

No, the "everlasting righteousness" will be coming unto Daniel's people and his city, Jerusalem:

"Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy" (Dan.9:24).​

Are you really under the impression that "everlasting righteousness" has come unto Jerusalem?

Jerry Shugart

Abe was credited with God's righteousness. Care to elaborate Dr Harry?
It was not Abe's righteousness that was acredited to him...

I will let Paul elaborate. First he speaks of the "good news" of the grace of God:

"But now the righteousness of God without law is made known, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is by the faithfulness of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus"

This righteousness which is of God comes to all those who believe, and they are "justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus."

Then notice in verse 21 that Paul says that this righteousness of God which is apart from law is "witnessed by the law and the prophets," a term that is in reference to the Old Testament. Then in chapter four of Romans Paul begins to prove that the OT does indeed speak of this righteousness of God which comes upon all who believe:

"What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found? For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt" ((Ro.4:1-4).​

When Abraham believed God he received the righteousness which is of God mentioned in the passage I quoted from the third chapter.So you are right:

Abe was credited with God's righteousness.

Pin a rose on your nose!

beloved57

Jerry

What do you mean by his faith here ? Do you mean Christ Faith or the sinners faith ?

beloved57

Jerry

When Abraham believed God he received the righteousness which is of God mentioned in the passage I quoted from the third chapter.So you are right:

Do you believe that Abraham was righteous before God before He believed ?

Jerry Shugart

What do you mean by his faith here ? Do you mean Christ Faith or the sinners faith ?

The sinner's faith.

Do you believe that Abraham was righteous before God before He believed ?

I think that he believed the Lord here:

"By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went. By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God"
(Heb.11:8-10).​

i do not think that Abraham was righteous before God until then.

beloved57

The sinner's faith.

I think that he believed the Lord here:

"By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went. By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God"
(Heb.11:8-10).​

i do not think that Abraham was righteous before God until then.
This is heresy. The sinner unregenerated doesn't have faith because they can't please God Rom 8:8, All men by nature are in the flesh!

Secondly, you are teaching being made righteous by works, by what a person does!

Jerry Shugart

Secondly, you are teaching being made righteous by works, by what a person does!

You are unable to understand these simple truths because your spiritual I.Q. is ZERO!

Believing is not a "work," as evidenced by what Paul said here:

"But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness" (Ro.4:5).​

Since you remain a natural man you will be unable to understand this simple concept.

"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned" (1 Cor.2:14).​

beloved57

You are unable to understand these simple truths because your spiritual I.Q. is ZERO!

Believing is not a "work," as evidenced by what Paul said here:
"But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness" (Ro.4:5).​

Since you remain a natural man you will be unable to understand this simple concept.
"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned" (1 Cor.2:14).​

You continue to teach that sinners can do something in the flesh, like have Faith, however thats a lie. All men by nature are in the flesh, without the Spirit, and consequently cant please God Rom 8:8

So then they[all the unregenerate] that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Also, all men Christ died for are by His Obedience made Righteous Rom 5:19, Their Faith had nothing to do with it, that includes Abraham !

So you are advocating Justification by the works of the sinner. Thats a false teaching condemned by the Blood of Christ !

Jerry Shugart

You continue to teach that sinners can do something in the flesh, like have Faith, however thats a lie.

Here is a question which a sinner asked Paul and those with him:

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house"
(Acts 16:30-31).​

Do you think that in order to be saved a person must "believe"?

Last edited:

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

That is the same thing Paul said here when he writes of the grace of God:

The believer's righteousness is not based on his own works of law but instead he receives the righteousness which is of God.

Here Paul speaks of some who were trying to establish their own righteousness:

"For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of law for righteousness to every one that believeth" (Ro.10:2-4).​

What we must realize is the fact that when we try to establish our own righteousness it always comes up short. That is why our own righteousness is described this way:

"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away"
(Isa.64:6).​

Why use a verse which describes apostates, to describe all men without saving faith.

LA

beloved57

Here is a question which a sinner asked Paul and those with him:

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house"
(Acts 16:30-31).​

Do you think that in order to be saved a person must "believe"?

See my threads on that!

In the meantime, those Christ died for are made righteous by His obedience alone Rom 5:19!