What is the essence of "the Gospel?"

Brother Ducky

There is a lot of posts and threads that use terms like "the Gospel" or "Paul's Gospel" or "the Gospel of Jesus." I understand and appreciate this overarching shorthand usage. But what is the sine qua non of these terms? What is/are the essential beliefs contained in the Gospel?

And are there beliefs that can nullify belief in the Gospel?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
There is a lot of posts and threads that use terms like "the Gospel" or "Paul's Gospel" or "the Gospel of Jesus." I understand and appreciate this overarching shorthand usage. But what is the sine qua non of these terms? What is/are the essential beliefs contained in the Gospel?

The gospel can be summed in one statement: "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

There is no other way.

Ben Masada

The Truth, as I am concerned is that the essence of the gospel of Jesus is the Law. (Luke 16:29-31) and the essence of the gospel of Paul is the Pauline policy of Replacement Theology.

Epoisses

The word Gospel means good news or glad tidings so if what we are offering isn't good news then it's not the gospel. Keeping the law is never good news.

Truster

The English word “gospel” in no way conveys what the Hebrews waited for, nor what was delivered, in and by The Messiah. It in no way conveys what was given to the Apostles to trustworthily deliver.

dodge

The Truth, as I am concerned is that the essence of the gospel of Jesus is the Law. (Luke 16:29-31) and the essence of the gospel of Paul is the Pauline policy of Replacement Theology.

Jhn 1:17
For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Ben Masada

Jhn 1:17
For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Who said to the Richman in hell to listen to "Moses" aka the Law? If you read Luke 16:29-31 it was Jesus. It means that Jesus brought grace and the Truth aka the Law. It means, I agree with you.

Epoisses

Who said to the Richman in hell to listen to "Moses" aka the Law? If you read Luke 16:29-31 it was Jesus. It means that Jesus brought grace and the Truth aka the Law. It means, I agree with you.

Moses smashed the law to bits as a symbolic gesture of the requirement to live by grace.

God's Truth

Do you listen to Moses? If yes, where is your temple and your blood offering?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
How do you ever get that the word 'but' would change the message?

The word "but" puts in opposition Moses and Christ with regard to Christ's ecclesia. Paul explained that salvation is by grace through faith, however, the problem with many of Christ's people in the wilderness was their lack of faith even though they heard the same gospel.
(Hebrews 4:2)

God's Truth

The word "but" puts in opposition Moses and Christ with regard to Christ's ecclesia. Paul explained that salvation is by grace through faith, however, the problem with many of Christ's people in the wilderness was their lack of faith even though they heard the same gospel.
(Hebrews 4:2)

The word 'but' does not change anything.

What don't you get that Christ's people are those WHO BELIEVE AND OBEY?

God's Truth

Even Paul uses those scripture from the time in the desert to make his point that we have to believe and obey.

Warnings From Israel’s History

1 Corinthians 1:1 For I do not want you to be ignorant of the fact, brothers and sisters, that our ancestors were all under the cloud and that they all passed through the sea. 2 They were all baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea. 3 They all ate the same spiritual food 4 and drank the same spiritual drink; for they drank from the spiritual rock that accompanied them, and that rock was Christ. 5 Nevertheless, God was not pleased with most of them; their bodies were scattered in the wilderness. 6 Now these things occurred as examples to keep us from setting our hearts on evil things as they did. 7 Do not be idolaters, as some of them were; as it is written: “The people sat down to eat and drink and got up to indulge in revelry.” 8 We should not commit sexual immorality, as some of them did—and in one day twenty-three thousand of them died. 9 We should not test Christ, as some of them did—and were killed by snakes. 10 And do not grumble, as some of them did—and were killed by the destroying angel. 11 These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the culmination of the ages has come. 12 So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall! 13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

There are many people here who do not even let me quote the Old Testament before they start telling me that it is for the Jews.

HOWEVER, we have Paul telling us that when the people did NOT obey--they died in the desert and that message is for us.

God's Truth

It is when it's self-righteousness you stupid stubborn mule!

It is not sometimes bad to obey Jesus. IT IS NEVER EVER A BAD TIME to obey Jesus, and there is NEVER EVER A BAD WAY TO DO IT, and it NEVER EVER makes one self righteous or sinful, EVER.