User Tag List

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: ARCHIVE: Signals from space aliens or random chance?

Your powers are weak, old man. Knight's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 697 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jahdal View Post
    Knight,

Do you mean "random" as in some other life-form sent out a message like SETI has out in the universe and we happened to pick it up?
    No.

I mean random as in it wasn't really a life form but the signal just by chance seemed like it was.

So, the two options are the signal was generated by....

1. Intelligent life
    2. Random chance
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arglebargle View Post
    I think that such speculations are ridiculous... although I'd be willing to hope for it, depending on whether or not she had any clothes on.
    OK, so you are just a pervert that can't have an intelligent discussion.

Go back to the Dawkins forum where you fit right in.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Layla View Post
    I'd believe it because it's more likely. Which I've already stated. No figuring out required.
    OK, fair enough.

So... you and Mr Jack both believe the signal was generated by intelligent life form, from somewhere in the universe. I agree with you, I would feel the same way.

But before we move on lets see if ThePhy or SUTG will chime in so we can see what they think. Thanks Layla.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,894 Times in 3,485 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
    KNIGHT ,

They are just different kinds of DEMONS that are have been Imprisoned here

since Satan's Rebellion. They are just trying to deceive people into thinking

that they are from outerspace but they are really stuck here until God and Jesus

come back and throw them in the Fire.
    You have demons on brain, always?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ktoyou View Post
    You have demons on brain, always?
    People, people... please can we stay on topic? I might start deleting more posts that are off-topic.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,894 Times in 3,485 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would be very excited! I would not assume at all it was a random event. My hope is they would take me back with them, if they could cure my illness. If they said “take me to your leader: I would respond that he was not very interesting but there are human who are.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ktoyou View Post
    I would be very excited! I would not assume at all it was a random event. My hope is they would take me back with them, if they could cure my illness. If they said “take me to your leader: I would respond that he was not very interesting but there are human who are.
    OK, then. I have your answer noted.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knight , you said,

Therefore, I would love an honest answer from all of you to the following question.... (finally I get to my question)

Would you be able to determine based on that signal from space that their was intelligent life in the universe, and they were trying to communicate with us? Or would you deny the existence of intelligent life and write off the message as being merely the product of random chance that was "bound to happen"?

What would be your assumption and why?

Thank you in advance for your honest answer.
    --

I tried to give you an honest answer that any messages from space would be
    bogus and told you why I thought that way.
    -- End of transmission.....
    GOD HAS PROMISED US IMMORTALITY

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
    Knight , you said,

Therefore, I would love an honest answer from all of you to the following question.... (finally I get to my question)

Would you be able to determine based on that signal from space that their was intelligent life in the universe, and they were trying to communicate with us? Or would you deny the existence of intelligent life and write off the message as being merely the product of random chance that was "bound to happen"?

What would be your assumption and why?

Thank you in advance for your honest answer.
    --

I tried to give you an honest answer that any messages from space would be
    bogus and told you why I thought that way.
    --
    The hypothetical is that the signal is from intelligent life in outer space, or it was generated by random chance. Demons were not part of the hypothetical. Hypotheticals are not easy for some people to deal with. You and arglebargle and those kinda people. Lets just put you down as a "I believe neither" and leave it at that OK?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    The hypothetical is that the signal is from intelligent life in outer space, or it was generated by random chance. Demons were not part of the hypothetical. Hypotheticals are not easy for some people to deal with. You and arglebargle and those kinda people. Lets just put you down as a "I believe neither" and leave it at that OK?
    Technically I'm in the same boat as arglebargle. I indulged your hypothetical, but I do agree with everything he/she said.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Layla View Post
    Technically I'm in the same boat as arglebargle. I indulged your hypothetical, but I do agree with everything he/she said.
    Lets not get off topic so please don't respond to this (unless you want to start another thread to discuss it) but it isn't "highly likely" as arglebargle asserts that there are other planets that could support intelligent life. In fact it's just the opposite. New discoveries in science are demonstrating that our planet may be one of the few in all the universe that could support intelligent life. Do yourself a favor and watch The Privileged Planet (it's a secular show so don't worry it doesn't preach anything and it's less than an hour long).

Any hooooo... that's a topic for another show.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Now, I am pretty sure that a signal coming from outer space that had 40 words in a comprehensible order... (i.e., "people of earth, we would like to introduce ourselves to you we are a race of intelligent creatures that lives in a galaxy far, far away and we want to communicate to you that you are not alone in the universe.") is still FAR, FAR, FAR, more likely to occur by chance than a tennis ball passing through a brick wall or a picture of Marilyn Monroe juggling fish, accidentally generated on a computer screen by random pixels.
    Well, first, of course, the actual probabilities would have to be figured out. What does the noise, or the random signal look like? I am assuming that SETI is looking at electromagnetic waves. I do not know enough about their project or cosomology to know the probabilities involved. Since this is just a thought experiment, is it OK to assume that the "bad" signals are just strings of random characters, like "hwer8984yrqnplksjvansfd..."? Then, we can figure out the odds. We also need to know how much data SETI has gone through before they came across this message.

As I said before, the crux of the matter is in the actual probabilities involved. Also, it depends on how likely one thinks that extraterrestial life is.

How's that for a non-answer?

Taking all of that into account, I think your problem can be generalized to ask "How unlikely of an even would need to occur before you would agree that intelligence (as opposed to complete randomness) was involved?"

But to be honest, to really answer your OP, I would have to ask a bunch of annoying questions, especially about the random data set and the sample size, and try and determine the probabilities.

Let's just say if the likelihood of the message arising randomly, considering the size of their sample set was less than one in a trillion (give or take), I'd say intelligent aliens. If it was more than a one in a million, I'd gather more data.

annoyingly yours,
    SUTG

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SUTG View Post
    Well, first, of course, the actual probabilities would have to be figured out. What does the noise, or the random signal look like? I am assuming that SETI is looking at electromagnetic waves. I do not know enough about their project or cosomology to know the probabilities involved. Since this is just a thought experiment, is it OK to assume that the "bad" signals are just strings of random characters, like "hwer8984yrqnplksjvansfd..."? Then, we can figure out the odds. We also need to know how much data SETI has gone through before they came across this message.
    Did you see the picture I provided in the opening post?

That was a sample of a signal that they (SETI) determined to be different than "normal". The signal I am describing in this hypothetical would be similar to that except far more comprehensible.

As I said before, the crux of the matter is in the actual probabilities involved. Also, it depends on how likely one thinks that extraterrestial life is.
    Actually the crux is how likely is the possibility that a signal such as that could be generated randomly.

How's that for a non-answer?
    I have come to expect that from you. (you know I'm kidding ya!!)

Taking all of that into account, I think your problem can be generalized to ask "How unlikely of an even would need to occur before you would agree that intelligence (as opposed to complete randomness) was involved?"

But to be honest, to really answer your OP, I would have to ask a bunch of annoying questions, especially about the random data set and the sample size, and try and determine the probabilities.

Let's just say if the likelihood of the message arising randomly, considering the size of their sample set was less than one in a trillion (give or take), I'd say intelligent aliens. If it was more than a one in a million, I'd gather more data.

annoyingly yours,
    SUTG
    Yet on the other thread I argued that a picture of Marilyn Monroe juggling fish would NEVER be generated on a computer screen if you were feeding the display random pixels. Each and every one of you claimed I was wrong and the picture would indeed occur.... eventually.

Yet now you are having a hard time admitting that a much more simple example of a pattern could come to pass by random chance.

How about this....
    Just give me you best guess (i.e., gut feel).

Would you say the hypothetical message received by SETI was more likely generated by intelligent life or by random chance?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am having a dinner party at my house tonight (green chili - YUM!!!) I will be back later tonight OK?

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would believe the message to be intelligent life.

Thread Information