Baptiized in the Name or the Titles, Does it Matter?

iamaberean

Jesus was born to Mary and most assuredly was Hebrew. As such she would have named her son in the Hebrew language. 'Jehoshua'. just as the angel instructed.

Act 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

If my name was Harold in the USA it would still be that in any other country, because I am of an English speaking family. Why wouldn't the translators stick to the Hebrew word since there is no other name under heaven whereby we must be saved?

Pastors, theologians and UPC members , what is your response?

Last edited:

TrevorL

Greetings iamaberean,
Not sure if I qualify as to your categories, but it is the understanding of what the Name represents, not the spelling or pronunciation. Many mouth the word Jesus or Jehoshua, but do not understand the meaning of these words, for example Matthew 1:21 gives some indication. Perhaps another dimension is how the Yahweh Name is incorporated into the Name of Jesus or Jehoshua. Also I find the title of your thread confusing. In this instance what is the "Name" and what are the "Titles"?

Kind regards
Trevor

iamaberean

Greetings iamaberean,Not sure if I qualify as to your categories, but it is the understanding of what the Name represents, not the spelling or pronunciation. Many mouth the word Jesus or Jehoshua, but do not understand the meaning of these words, for example Matthew 1:21 gives some indication. Perhaps another dimension is how the Yahweh Name is incorporated into the Name of Jesus or Jehoshua. Also I find the title of your thread confusing. In this instance what is the "Name" and what are the "Titles"?

Kind regards
Trevor

Good Morning Trevor,

Name (Jehoshua} or Titles (Father, Son, Holy Ghost}.

I took the translation given in the Gospels. Your explanation is probably correct in that of understanding, Thanks.

COGTHW

Good Morning Trevor,

Name (Jehoshua} or Titles (Father, Son, Holy Ghost}.

I took the translation given in the Gospels. Your explanation is probably correct in that of understanding, Thanks.

Scriptures say only one name can save you.
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Scriptures say to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.
Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

There is no Scripture that say the Church of God baptized in the titles, Jesus said name of not names of.

clefty

Jesus was born to Mary and most assuredly was Hebrew. As such she would have named her son in the Hebrew language. 'Jehoshua'. just as the angel instructed.

Act 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

If my name was Harold in the USA it would still be that in any other country, because I am of an English speaking family. Why wouldn't the translators stick to the Hebrew word since there is no other name under heaven whereby we must be saved?

Yup...

Names are important...rank 3 of 10 commandments actually

Which poses as a problem to trinitarians as the Holy Spirit doesn't have one...

COGTHW

Yup...

Names are important...rank 3 of 10 commandments actually

Which poses as a problem to trinitarians as the Holy Spirit doesn't have one...

The Holy Spirit name is Jesus. The Holy Spirit is God.
John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
Jesus said He will send the Holy Ghost, and that the Holy Ghost shall come by the name of Jesus.
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
There is only one Spirit.
Ephesians 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are

That Spirit is God which is in the name of Jesus.
1 Peter 1:
10 Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:

11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

The Holy Ghost name is Jesus Christ.

iamaberean

Scriptures say only one name can save you.
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Scriptures say to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.
Acts 22:16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

There is no Scripture that say the Church of God baptized in the titles, Jesus said name of not names of.

Good Morning COGTJW,

I quoted the scripture that there is no other name by which we must be saved. However the name 'Jesus' is a translation of the Hebrew word 'Jehoshua' in the original document. My point is that maybe they should not have translated the name 'Jehoshua' to 'Jesus' in the first place.

COGTHW

Good Morning COGTJW,

I quoted the scripture that there is no other name by which we must be saved. However the name 'Jesus' is a translation of the Hebrew word 'Jehoshua' in the original document. My point is that maybe they should not have translated the name 'Jehoshua' to 'Jesus' in the first place.

It still have the same power. That is the Hebrew tongue. Jesus is English tongue.
Luke 23:38 And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, This Is The King Of The Jews.
Notice it was written in 3 different superscription but still had the same meaning.
Jesus is still Jesus to us even if the Jews/Hebrews say Jehoshua. It still have power.

COGTHW

It still have the same power. That is the Hebrew tongue. Jesus is English tongue.
Luke 23:38 And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, This Is The King Of The Jews.
Notice it was written in 3 different superscription but still had the same meaning.
Jesus is still Jesus to us even if the Jews/Hebrews say Jehoshua. It still have power.

And Jehoshua is not the correct Hebrew tongue it is Yahoshua

iamaberean

And Jehoshua is not the correct Hebrew tongue it is Yahoshua

You could be right, but in the Old Testament, Hebrew, there is no one with the name Jesus. As a matter of fact 'Yehovah' was just replaced with the word 'LORD'. It would be assumed that if 'Yohoshua' is the name above all names, which it is, then that is the name we should use in baptism, not a translated to Greek name. It had not ever been translated in the Old Testament.

I feel the original translator should have taken care in translating the 'name above all names'. In fact I am beginning to believe they should have translated it to 'Emmanuel', as they did in:
Mat 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

So according to scripture we should have been baptized in the name of 'Emmanuel' or 'Yohoshua' not a man made name.

We really need to pray about this!

Last edited:

COGTHW

You could be right, but in the Old Testament, Hebrew, there is no one with the name Jesus. As a matter of fact 'Yehovah' was just replaced with the word 'LORD'. It would be assumed that if 'Yohoshua' is the name above all names, which it is, then that is the name we should use in baptism, not a translated to Greek name. It had not ever been translated in the Old Testament.

I feel the original translator should have taken care in translating the 'name above all names'. In fact I am beginning to believe they should have translated it to 'Emmanuel', as they did in:
Mat 1:23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

So according to scripture we should have been baptized in the name of 'Emmanuel' or 'Yohoshua' not a man made name.

Jesus is not a man made man, Sir just stick to Jesus.
The Scriptures say His name will be Jesus. Not Emmanuel, which means 'God with us' His name shall be Jesus.
Matthew 1:25 And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.
Just stick to the name Jesus, there is no need to pray about that. His name is Jesus. That is the only name. Interpreted in different tongues but in English is it Jesus. No other name. Just stick to Jesus.

clefty

The Holy Spirit name is Jesus. The Holy Spirit is God.
John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
Jesus said He will send the Holy Ghost, and that the Holy Ghost shall come by the name of Jesus.
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
There is only one Spirit.
Ephesians 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are

That Spirit is God which is in the name of Jesus.
1 Peter 1:
10 Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:

11 Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.

The Holy Ghost name is Jesus Christ.

So we are still left with only two...

Father has a spirit yes?

Son has same or His own?

COGTHW

The name of Jesus is the name. If you are doubting it then you are saying God words the Scriptures are false.
2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

The name Emmanuel was not persecuted but the name of Jesus, because that is the name above all names.
Matthew 10:22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.
It is the name of Jesus we are to bow to.
Philippians 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;'
The name of Jesus is the only name that has power.
Mark 16:17 'And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils;...'
It is the name of Jesus. That is the Only name.
The Hispanics say Jesús = He soos, which in English is Jesus
The Hebrew say Yeshua, which in English is Jesus
It depends on your language so there for you speak the kings language which is English so just say Jesus.

COGTHW

So we are still left with only two...

Father has a spirit yes?

Son has same or His own?

No it's only one Spirit Sir. God is a Spirit the Spirit that was in Jesus was God. One Spirit. One name Jesus said He came in the Fathers' name.
John 5:43 'I am come in my Father's name,...'
If God is the Father and there is only One Spirit then that Spirit name is Jesus.

TweetyBird

Good Morning COGTJW,

There is no "original" document that calls Jesus, Jehoshua. His Hebrew Name is Yeshua [the shortened name of Yehoshua > Joshua - it appears as Jeshua in English Bibles and used about 30 times in the OT] which was transliterated to Jesus. Jesus is NOT a translation. The NT called Him Iesous, as written in the Greek, and He was called Iesous by His disciples. They may have called Him, Yeshua as well, but there are no Hebrew documents for any of the NT.

TweetyBird

A name is often transliterated from one language to another. For example, the name John - Jon, Yohann, Johannes, Yohanathan, Jack, Jacques, Johnathon - just to name a few. Another example is Nancy - Nan, Hannah, Nana, Nance, Anna, Annette, etc.

The pronunciation or spelling is not the point. There are 100s of 1000s of men named Jesus [Hey-soos in Spanish], yet we know they are not Jesus Christ. There were OT men named Jeshua, shortened from Yehoshua - that were not Jesus/Yeshua. Knowing the person, His character, reputation, authority - that is preeminent. People from around the world call Jesus by His Name in their own tongue. He hears them when they cry out to Him and they know whom they seek, no matter what they call Him.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
In the Roman empire in the first century Hebrew was not a widely used language, even the Judeans spoke Aramaic. However, Greek was widely understood. It made sense to translate the Hebrew scriptures into Greek.

In the name of means by the authority of. Law enforcement officers are authorized to act in the name of whatever agency commissioned them.

Since we are ambassadors for Christ we are authorized to act in his name, i.e. by his authority. For example we baptize by the authority of Jesus Christ.

Since many people in the empire did not speak Aramaic the name was transliterated into the Greek Iesous which was changed to Jesus in English.

In whatever language a person speaks Jesus knows when we are speaking to or about him. In fact, we don't even have to speak, he knows our thoughts.

Men added vowels to YHWH as they thought best, but we don't know the spoken name. The name Jesus is good enough for me and that's the name by which I was baptized.

COGTHW

There is no "original" document that calls Jesus, Jehoshua. His Hebrew Name is Yeshua [the shortened name of Yehoshua > Joshua - it appears as Jeshua in English Bibles and used about 30 times in the OT] which was transliterated to Jesus. Jesus is NOT a translation. The NT called Him Iesous, as written in the Greek, and He was called Iesous by His disciples. They may have called Him, Yeshua as well, but there are no Hebrew documents for any of the NT.

In the Roman empire in the first century Hebrew was not a widely used language, even the Judeans spoke Aramaic. However, Greek was widely understood. It made sense to translate the Hebrew scriptures into Greek.

In the name of means by the authority of. Law enforcement officers are authorized to act in the name of whatever agency commissioned them.

Since we are ambassadors for Christ we are authorized to act in his name, i.e. by his authority. For example we baptize by the authority of Jesus Christ.

Since many people in the empire did not speak Aramaic the name was transliterated into the Greek Iesous which was changed to Jesus in English.

In whatever language a person speaks Jesus knows when we are speaking to or about him. In fact, we don't even have to speak, he knows our thoughts.

Men added vowels to YHWH as they thought best, but we don't know the spoken name. The name Jesus is good enough for me and that's the name by which I was baptized.

Amen, I say Amen.
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, w

clefty

Amen, I say Amen.
Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, w

He was not Greek...and doubtful temple records recorded Him under a Greek name...

There has been much lost and deception done attempting to omit the culture and tradition of Yahushua...

John Honsa and Hans are vastly different...and much is indeed lost in translation

More attempt and respect is given to the names of international footballers than our creator and savior...

No surprise some of man's traditions are more preferred...

TweetyBird

He was not Greek...and doubtful temple records recorded Him under a Greek name...

There has been much lost and deception done attempting to omit the culture and tradition of Yahushua...

John Honsa and Hans are vastly different...and much is indeed lost in translation

More attempt and respect is given to the names of international footballers than our creator and savior...

No surprise some of man's traditions are more preferred...

However, the Greek NT, written by Jesus' followers --- called Him, IESOUS. The Angel is recorded as giving Him the Name IESOUS - for He shall save His people from their sins. Not once did anyone in the NT force people to call Jesus a Name they could not pronounce - as if that is salvation. Salvation comes by knowing who Jesus is, not what His exact Name is. God is not a respecter of persons - all who call upon the Savior are saved, regardless of their name for Him.

Yahushua ...is not even a name found in the Bible and it is not Hebrew, and has zero meaning. It is a man-made name. Talk about the traditions of men? You exemplify it to the utmost degree.