Assisted Suicides Soar in Switzerland

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
It has been legal in Switzerland since 1946 because it is not considered a crime. I do not know more about it, but one may look it up.

I think anyone who wants to do it should not be stopped by any law, other than God's law, or we will eventually have people willing to do the unthinkable to die. You cannot make someone live.

No, but assisting them in dying, is murder.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Mental illness is a tough one, it's subjective and hard to objectively measure.

Let's just say I'm around 80 years in age with an advanced terminal illness such as cancer. I'm in constant pain, perhaps immobile, going to the bathroom upon my self with only a few weeks to live. At this point in my life and given my condition, I'm more in dread of the remainder of my life than of death.

The choice is obvious: Get my affairs in order than die on my own terms.
It would be far worse if one jumped of a bridge in major traffic and took several Innocent persons with them. Just do not expect anyone ti think you are heaven sent doing so.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
No, but assisting them in dying, is murder.

And this is where the context of the word 'murder' takes a convenient dip for Webster's definition of murder which is simply 'unlawful killing'.

So then, if one doesn't agree with euthanasia, one can equate it to cold-blooded killing.

Arthur Brain

Angel, I'm not asking you for bible verses or links but rather why you would think that someone who is dying of a terminal disease is 'lifting one last finger to God' if they choose to end their life before all quality of it has gone as you so "deftly" put it.

It's one thing if you personally consider it a sin or whatever but that doesn't apply to everyone else, even believers I'd venture.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
It is a moral issue. It is also a political issue and legal issue. Being it is under politics, i am responding to it as such, and as such, ones morality cannot always be made into law. Homicide affects others, abortion affects the unborn, but someone who wants to die has to answer to himself

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I wonder how many of these types there are in sweden who just claim they were assisting?

'Angel of Death' nurse who murdered at least 40 patients to become one of America's worst serial killers speaks from prison for the first time to chillingly claim: 'I thought I was helping'

Charles Cullen is known as the most prolific serial killer in American history
It is believed he could have killed up to 400 patients by injecting them with lethal medication
Went undetected for 16 years
Finally caught in 2003 and given six life sentences in 2006

See more at link.

For those who dont know what an "angel of mercy/death" is:

An angel of mercy or angel of death is a rare type of criminal offender (often a type of serial killer) who is usually employed as a caregiver and intentionally harms or kills people under their care.

What a great job opportunity to assist in suicides for people like this!

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Angel, I'm not asking you for bible verses or links but rather why you would think that someone who is dying of a terminal disease is 'lifting one last finger to God' if they choose to end their life before all quality of it has gone as you so "deftly" put it.

It's one thing if you personally consider it a sin or whatever but that doesn't apply to everyone else, even believers I'd venture.
Most believers think it is morally wrong, and some think a morphine trance is as morally wrong. You can see where this ends up?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Please post me saying that please, also post what i said and the quote i said it in reference to and pay attention to who i was speaking with and what was underlined that i referenced, and if you still dont get the context, i cant help you.

yep and context is everything, but keep pretending otherwise.

Arthur Brain

Most believer think it is morally wrong, and some think a morphine trance is as morally wrong. You can see where this ends up?

Well, anyone who thinks a cancer sufferer should go on and die 'naturally' without the aid of palliative drugs is a complete headcase. They'd sharp change their tune if they were wasting away of the very same...

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I wonder how many of these types there are in sweden who just claim they were assisting?

'Angel of Death' nurse who murdered at least 40 patients to become one of America's worst serial killers speaks from prison for the first time to chillingly claim: 'I thought I was helping'

Charles Cullen is known as the most prolific serial killer in American history
It is believed he could have killed up to 400 patients by injecting them with lethal medication
Went undetected for 16 years
Finally caught in 2003 and given six life sentences in 2006

See more at link.

For those who dont know what an "angel of mercy/death" is:

What a great job opportunity to assist in suicides for people like this!

He should have been pushed out a window in a tall building. Some persons might think being placed in a morphine death trance takes less guts than jumping out a tall hospital window?

Arthur Brain

Please post me saying that please, also post what i said and the quote i said it in reference to and pay attention to who i was speaking with and what was underlined that i referenced, and if you still dont get the context, i cant help you.

Sure, here:

http://theologyonline.com/showthrea...-Switzerland&p=4864088&viewfull=1#post4864088

Now considering I asked you why you looked at Quip's comment that way then how about you answer just exactly what you meant by that remark if the obvious implication isn't your intention?

yep and context is everything, but keep pretending otherwise.

As above.

glassjester

Who are you to tell a person that they should live in horrendous suffering and have no option to end it until they die 'naturally'?

The pain has nothing to do with the law, does it?

Someone could be in more pain, either mental or physical, but if they've got 10 years to live, suicide is illegal.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Well, anyone who thinks a cancer sufferer should go on and die 'naturally' without the aid of palliative drugs is a complete headcase. They'd sharp change their tune if they were wasting away of the very same...

Well, i think going out on a dope run is more shameful than umping out a window. The jumping means no one is taking part in limiting ones life and it takes more courage. Just see those one death row, most fear death more than prison, but few of them a real old.

glassjester

I wonder if you'd feel the same way if you were actually in such a position as those who avail themselves of the option. To be fair you couldn't really answer honestly on that unless you were in such a state.

Of course that's true; I can't tell you how I'd feel in that situation, unless it was happening to me.

But I know the temptation to take my own life would be just that - a temptation. And I pray that the people who love me would not allow me to succumb to temptation.