User Tag List

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Did we re-evolve after the comet that killed all the dinosaurs?

Your powers are weak, old man. Knight's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 694 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jack View Post
    Other way round, birds are descendents of dinosaurs.
    Uh, my typo has already been addressed.

I realize you guys get all excited on the rare instance when you catch me making a mistake. I guess I should view that as a bit of a compliment.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knight;
    Here is the wiki on the K/T extinction event;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cretace...tinction_event

It includes this picture;

And this text;
    K–T boundary along Interstate 25 near Raton Pass, Colorado. The iridium-rich ash (the boundary) is indicated by the red arrow.
    The reason they think meteor or such is the iridium they tend to find in this layer.

This is a great oportunity to go see what those crazy old earthers are talking about, go see the layer, get some samples from it, look at the dirt above and below.
    The old earthers say it's an extinction event from 65 million years ago that took out most life on the planet.
    What do you say it is?
    Everyman is a voice in the dark.
    I II III IV

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,132 Times in 5,723 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say it's a volcanic deposit within a flood event.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

Tambora (July 3rd, 2016)

Over 750 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why do you say it's within a flood event? How did the layer end up being homogeneous in terms of fossil flora directly above and below the layer if the Earth was in the process of being flooded by water. (In other words, if the volcanic event occurred during the flood, and much of the fossil record was also layed down during the flood, why isn't the iridium spread throughout the fossil layers?)
    “There's nothing I like less than bad arguments for a view that I hold dear.” - Daniel Dennett

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why?
    When?
    I II III IV

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jack View Post
    Other way round, birds are descendents of dinosaurs.
    Lets not bicker and argue about who descended from who. Its not so much that we lost the dinosaurs as we gained the birds.
    "I believe in Christianity, as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis

"Don't believe that there's nothing that's true, don't believe in this modern machine." Switchfoot

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL! Birds did not come from dinosaurs. They were created as is by God. Dinos surely died out, in one of two ways I speculate.

1.) The Gap theory of creation, between Gen 1:1-2.

OR......

2.) The Great Flood.
    Contrary to what many Americans seem to think, the document we now call "the Constitution" and the Declaration of Independence are not pretty much the same thing or "connected in spirit," or "two sides of the same coin." The two documents were written by two different groups of people at two different times to accomplish two totally different goals.

Trainee
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to pin down an atheist on the topic of extinction is near impossible. The problem is that there are so many options open for them to assume. I read a textbook to a couple of kids today that mentioned no less than four different means by which the dinosaurs may have died out:
    • Asteroid(s).
    • Global cooling.
    • Volcanoes
    • Evolution into birds and reptiles
    The article's conclusion was that nobody really understood exactly why. So I naturally added the real reason to the text and insisted that the kids either believe that or were silly.
    Don't you feel a little bi of a fraud passing off your own theory, which has no more evidence than any other (in fact I would argue it has less) as a fact to impressionable children?

I used to be a teacher, and I have to say that on a professional level I am appalled if you actually did this.

Trainee
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PlastikBuddha View Post
    The impact itself is not what caused most of the extinctions- the long periods of cold weather and no sunlight caused by the large amountes of debris hurled into the atmosphere did. The breakdown of which species survived and which weren't so fortunate seems to be broken down in two ways- size and how well they could survive in water. No sunlight=little plant growth. Little plant growth=starvation for large herbivores that depend on a lot of food constantly to survive. The death of large herbivores=the death of large predators leaving the land open to the expansion of previously marginalized groups like the small mammals. The ocean is less transient than the land so aquatic species got off a little lighter but they lost some of the larger specimens as well.

Plus the dinosaurs were cold-blooded, so any lack of sunlight would seriously affect their mobility. Modern lizards need to lie about for a bit in the morning so the sun can warm them up - until then they are very slow moving and dopey. A dinosaur would suffer the effects of heat loss overnight to an even greater degree (larger surface area to lose heat) and over days and weeks with little sunlight they would find it increasingly hard to get to 'operating temperature' as it were, and eventually would die.

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Knight;
    Here is the wiki on the K/T extinction event;

It includes this picture;

And this text;

The reason they think meteor or such is the iridium they tend to find in this layer.

This is a great oportunity to go see what those crazy old earthers are talking about, go see the layer, get some samples from it, look at the dirt above and below.
    The old earthers say it's an extinction event from 65 million years ago that took out most life on the planet.
    What do you say it is?
    You could make it a home school geology field trip, go sample the K/T boundry, bring home samples, observe......

You could also design some "I went to the K/T boundry and all I got was this lousy T-shirt and a bag of dirt" T-shirts.

And you could sell them along with a bag of dirt from the K/T boundry and people who bought them could put on the shirts and make Youtube videos of themselves wearing the shirts and anylyzing the dirt and testing the dirt and drinking beer and making beer out of the dirt and melting the dirt into jewlery that will balance your aura and make yer breath fresh to boot.

And then......
    I II III IV

Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Little Buzz View Post
    Plus the dinosaurs were cold-blooded, so any lack of sunlight would seriously affect their mobility. Modern lizards need to lie about for a bit in the morning so the sun can warm them up - until then they are very slow moving and dopey. A dinosaur would suffer the effects of heat loss overnight to an even greater degree (larger surface area to lose heat) and over days and weeks with little sunlight they would find it increasingly hard to get to 'operating temperature' as it were, and eventually would die.
    Aren't there some theories that dinosaurs may have been warm bloodied? From what I've read the details of dinosaur metabolism is hotly debated amongst paleontologists.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/diapsids/metabolism.html
    Your problem is not technology. The problem is YOU. You lack the will to change...You treat this planet as you treat each other. - Klaatu

What are you talking about? There is no such thing as the "Mafia"......it doesn't exist. Just a bunch of lies told to defame honest hardworking Italians like myself. - TomO

I will do you, let's see, goofy, wacky, and to the left side of the bell curve
    . -Ktoyou

I'm white. I'm not black. I can't convert to being black. It doesn't matter how much I want to become black. I could listen to rap and date fat white women all day; for all that, I'll still remain white.- Traditio

Thanks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuySmiley View Post
    Lets not bicker and argue about who descended from who. Its not so much that we lost the dinosaurs as we gained the birds.
    Hey, but dinosaurs are way cooler than birds!
    Your problem is not technology. The problem is YOU. You lack the will to change...You treat this planet as you treat each other. - Klaatu

What are you talking about? There is no such thing as the "Mafia"......it doesn't exist. Just a bunch of lies told to defame honest hardworking Italians like myself. - TomO

I will do you, let's see, goofy, wacky, and to the left side of the bell curve
    . -Ktoyou

I'm white. I'm not black. I can't convert to being black. It doesn't matter how much I want to become black. I could listen to rap and date fat white women all day; for all that, I'll still remain white.- Traditio

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really do recomend reading the Wiki on the K/T boundry.

Provides one with an overview of the topic and the theories and if we would have a productive discussion I think the least we all could do is go read an encyclopedia article.
    And begin by discussing the topic in general.
    To which the answer to the OP is no, everything is not thought to have died with the dinosaurs.
    I II III IV

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why do you say it's within a flood event? How did the layer end up being homogeneous in terms of fossil flora directly above and below the layer if the Earth was in the process of being flooded by water. (In other words, if the volcanic event occurred during the flood, and much of the fossil record was also layed down during the flood, why isn't the iridium spread throughout the fossil layers?)
    Some kind of sorting process, probably.
    E≈mc2
    Bad to swallow you whole

-Bob B.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

Tambora (July 3rd, 2016)

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't you feel a little bit of a fraud passing off your own theory, which has no more evidence than any other (in fact I would argue it has less) as a fact to impressionable children?
    You're calling me a fraud without knowing what I said? How do you know what evidence I give?

I used to be a teacher, and I have to say that on a professional level I am appalled if you actually did this.
    How did you escape?
    E≈mc2
    Bad to swallow you whole

-Bob B.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

Tambora (July 3rd, 2016)

Thread Information