User Tag List

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 474

Thread: Did we re-evolve after the comet that killed all the dinosaurs?

  1. #61
    ...then I woke up. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,872
    Thanks
    369
    Thanked 2,113 Times in 994 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1086488
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jack View Post
    Other way round, birds are descendents of dinosaurs.
    Uh, my typo has already been addressed.

    I realize you guys get all excited on the rare instance when you catch me making a mistake. I guess I should view that as a bit of a compliment.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

  2. #62
    Gold level Subscriber fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,226
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 780 Times in 526 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    270264
    Knight;
    Here is the wiki on the K/T extinction event;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cretace...tinction_event

    It includes this picture;

    And this text;
    K–T boundary along Interstate 25 near Raton Pass, Colorado. The iridium-rich ash (the boundary) is indicated by the red arrow.
    The reason they think meteor or such is the iridium they tend to find in this layer.

    This is a great oportunity to go see what those crazy old earthers are talking about, go see the layer, get some samples from it, look at the dirt above and below.
    The old earthers say it's an extinction event from 65 million years ago that took out most life on the planet.
    What do you say it is?
    Everyman is a voice in the dark.
    I II III IV

  3. #63
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    16,757
    Thanks
    211
    Thanked 9,522 Times in 7,215 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147817
    I say it's a volcanic deposit within a flood event.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

    Here's a post Town desperately wants you to read.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    Tambora (July 3rd, 2016)

  5. #64
    Over 750 post club
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    960
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe View Post
    I say it's a volcanic deposit within a flood event.
    Just out of curiosity, why do you say it's within a flood event? How did the layer end up being homogeneous in terms of fossil flora directly above and below the layer if the Earth was in the process of being flooded by water. (In other words, if the volcanic event occurred during the flood, and much of the fossil record was also layed down during the flood, why isn't the iridium spread throughout the fossil layers?)
    “There's nothing I like less than bad arguments for a view that I hold dear.” - Daniel Dennett

  6. #65
    Gold level Subscriber fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,226
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 780 Times in 526 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    270264
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe View Post
    I say it's a volcanic deposit within a flood event.
    Why?
    When?
    Everyman is a voice in the dark.
    I II III IV

  7. #66
    Over 1500 post club GuySmiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,829
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    160624
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jack View Post
    Other way round, birds are descendents of dinosaurs.
    Lets not bicker and argue about who descended from who. Its not so much that we lost the dinosaurs as we gained the birds.
    "I believe in Christianity, as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis

    "Don't believe that there's nothing that's true, don't believe in this modern machine." Switchfoot

  8. #67
    Gold level Subscriber drbrumley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,862
    Thanks
    413
    Thanked 2,600 Times in 1,626 Posts

    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    553317
    LOL! Birds did not come from dinosaurs. They were created as is by God. Dinos surely died out, in one of two ways I speculate.

    1.) The Gap theory of creation, between Gen 1:1-2.

    OR......

    2.) The Great Flood.
    If any of my views seem to be strange or new to you, it is to be hoped that you will not close your mind to them, but will emulate the noble Bereans, and not only read and study the chapters would discuss, but will also search the Scriptures to see whether these things be so.

  9. #68
    Trainee
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe View Post
    Trying to pin down an atheist on the topic of extinction is near impossible. The problem is that there are so many options open for them to assume. I read a textbook to a couple of kids today that mentioned no less than four different means by which the dinosaurs may have died out:
    • Asteroid(s).
    • Global cooling.
    • Volcanoes
    • Evolution into birds and reptiles
    The article's conclusion was that nobody really understood exactly why. So I naturally added the real reason to the text and insisted that the kids either believe that or were silly.
    Don't you feel a little bi of a fraud passing off your own theory, which has no more evidence than any other (in fact I would argue it has less) as a fact to impressionable children?

    I used to be a teacher, and I have to say that on a professional level I am appalled if you actually did this.

  10. #69
    Trainee
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PlastikBuddha View Post
    The impact itself is not what caused most of the extinctions- the long periods of cold weather and no sunlight caused by the large amountes of debris hurled into the atmosphere did. The breakdown of which species survived and which weren't so fortunate seems to be broken down in two ways- size and how well they could survive in water. No sunlight=little plant growth. Little plant growth=starvation for large herbivores that depend on a lot of food constantly to survive. The death of large herbivores=the death of large predators leaving the land open to the expansion of previously marginalized groups like the small mammals. The ocean is less transient than the land so aquatic species got off a little lighter but they lost some of the larger specimens as well.

    Plus the dinosaurs were cold-blooded, so any lack of sunlight would seriously affect their mobility. Modern lizards need to lie about for a bit in the morning so the sun can warm them up - until then they are very slow moving and dopey. A dinosaur would suffer the effects of heat loss overnight to an even greater degree (larger surface area to lose heat) and over days and weeks with little sunlight they would find it increasingly hard to get to 'operating temperature' as it were, and eventually would die.

  11. #70
    Gold level Subscriber fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,226
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 780 Times in 526 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    270264
    Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Knight;
    Here is the wiki on the K/T extinction event;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cretace...tinction_event

    It includes this picture;

    And this text;


    The reason they think meteor or such is the iridium they tend to find in this layer.

    This is a great oportunity to go see what those crazy old earthers are talking about, go see the layer, get some samples from it, look at the dirt above and below.
    The old earthers say it's an extinction event from 65 million years ago that took out most life on the planet.
    What do you say it is?
    You could make it a home school geology field trip, go sample the K/T boundry, bring home samples, observe......

    You could also design some "I went to the K/T boundry and all I got was this lousy T-shirt and a bag of dirt" T-shirts.

    And you could sell them along with a bag of dirt from the K/T boundry and people who bought them could put on the shirts and make Youtube videos of themselves wearing the shirts and anylyzing the dirt and testing the dirt and drinking beer and making beer out of the dirt and melting the dirt into jewlery that will balance your aura and make yer breath fresh to boot.

    And then......
    Everyman is a voice in the dark.
    I II III IV

  12. #71
    Over 4000 post club The Berean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Wacky California
    Posts
    4,379
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 524 Times in 331 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    298893
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Buzz View Post
    Plus the dinosaurs were cold-blooded, so any lack of sunlight would seriously affect their mobility. Modern lizards need to lie about for a bit in the morning so the sun can warm them up - until then they are very slow moving and dopey. A dinosaur would suffer the effects of heat loss overnight to an even greater degree (larger surface area to lose heat) and over days and weeks with little sunlight they would find it increasingly hard to get to 'operating temperature' as it were, and eventually would die.
    Aren't there some theories that dinosaurs may have been warm bloodied? From what I've read the details of dinosaur metabolism is hotly debated amongst paleontologists.

    http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/diapsids/metabolism.html
    Your problem is not technology. The problem is YOU. You lack the will to change...You treat this planet as you treat each other. - Klaatu

    What are you talking about? There is no such thing as the "Mafia"......it doesn't exist. Just a bunch of lies told to defame honest hardworking Italians like myself. - TomO

    I will do you, let's see, goofy, wacky, and to the left side of the bell curve
    . -Ktoyou

    I'm white. I'm not black. I can't convert to being black. It doesn't matter how much I want to become black. I could listen to rap and date fat white women all day; for all that, I'll still remain white.- Traditio

  13. #72
    Over 4000 post club The Berean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Wacky California
    Posts
    4,379
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 524 Times in 331 Posts

    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    298893
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySmiley View Post
    Lets not bicker and argue about who descended from who. Its not so much that we lost the dinosaurs as we gained the birds.
    Hey, but dinosaurs are way cooler than birds!
    Your problem is not technology. The problem is YOU. You lack the will to change...You treat this planet as you treat each other. - Klaatu

    What are you talking about? There is no such thing as the "Mafia"......it doesn't exist. Just a bunch of lies told to defame honest hardworking Italians like myself. - TomO

    I will do you, let's see, goofy, wacky, and to the left side of the bell curve
    . -Ktoyou

    I'm white. I'm not black. I can't convert to being black. It doesn't matter how much I want to become black. I could listen to rap and date fat white women all day; for all that, I'll still remain white.- Traditio

  14. #73
    Gold level Subscriber fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,226
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 780 Times in 526 Posts

    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    270264
    I really do recomend reading the Wiki on the K/T boundry.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cretace...tinction_event

    Provides one with an overview of the topic and the theories and if we would have a productive discussion I think the least we all could do is go read an encyclopedia article.
    And begin by discussing the topic in general.
    To which the answer to the OP is no, everything is not thought to have died with the dinosaurs.
    Everyman is a voice in the dark.
    I II III IV

  15. #74
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    16,757
    Thanks
    211
    Thanked 9,522 Times in 7,215 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147817
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why do you say it's within a flood event? How did the layer end up being homogeneous in terms of fossil flora directly above and below the layer if the Earth was in the process of being flooded by water. (In other words, if the volcanic event occurred during the flood, and much of the fossil record was also layed down during the flood, why isn't the iridium spread throughout the fossil layers?)
    Some kind of sorting process, probably.
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

    Here's a post Town desperately wants you to read.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    Tambora (July 3rd, 2016)

  17. #75
    Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    16,757
    Thanks
    211
    Thanked 9,522 Times in 7,215 Posts

    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147817
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Buzz View Post
    Don't you feel a little bit of a fraud passing off your own theory, which has no more evidence than any other (in fact I would argue it has less) as a fact to impressionable children?
    You're calling me a fraud without knowing what I said? How do you know what evidence I give?

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Buzz View Post
    I used to be a teacher, and I have to say that on a professional level I am appalled if you actually did this.
    How did you escape?
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

    "The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

    Here's a post Town desperately wants you to read.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

    Tambora (July 3rd, 2016)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us