User Tag List

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Did we re-evolve after the comet that killed all the dinosaurs?

Over 750 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cattyfan View Post
    So...the comet hit and killed dinasaurs all over the world...but not the other species???

Okay...
    No.
    “There's nothing I like less than bad arguments for a view that I hold dear.” - Daniel Dennett

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,990 Times in 5,629 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Hey evolutionists I have a question...
    Knight.

er.. I'm not an evolutionist, but ....

Trying to pin down an atheist on the topic of extinction is near impossible. The problem is that there are so many options open for them to assume. I read a textbook to a couple of kids today that mentioned no less than four different means by which the dinosaurs may have died out:
    • Asteroid(s).
    • Global cooling.
    • Volcanoes
    • Evolution into birds and reptiles
    The article's conclusion was that nobody really understood exactly why. So I naturally added the real reason to the text and insisted that the kids either believe that or were silly.

I think most atheists tend to support the asteroid idea more than anything else. I don't know if it's worth delving any deeper than your initial challenge, but if it is then the question might be how did a meteorite manage to wipe out every and all dino type, but not manage to wipe out everything else.

Such questions usually lead to atheists adding the factors together and insisting that if all the theories work together they might produce what we see today.

Anyway - my challenge is:
    How did natural events work together in order to wipe out all the dinosaurs, but not wipe out everything?
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

Tambora (July 3rd, 2016)

Your powers are weak, old man. Knight's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,275 Times in 670 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aharvey View Post
    Knight, can you help us out here? As scientifically sloppy as the Discovery Channel can be, this one seems extreme even for them. You watched this show "tonight on the Discovery Channel;" I assume this was April 20? But I can't see a single show on their schedule for that day that would logically even discuss this.
    Ahh!!!

My apologies.... it was on the History Channel. And it was called "Last Days on Earth".

It was a pretty slick show with very good special effects. It wasn't a science show (per se) although it did feature scientists on each segment.

The segment about the comet described how the seas would turn to a "battery acid" type fluid that would kill almost everything on the planet. They even had a slick graphic showing humans turning into bugs symbolizing that only the tiny creatures might be able to survive such an event.

Any way... I am not trying to make some sort of "case" against evolution. It just made me curious if this was a serious consideration.

From what I am hearing in this thread it seems the answer is no.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle Stripe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,990 Times in 5,629 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh. CF beat me to it
    Where is the evidence for a global flood?
    E≈mc2
    When the world is a monster
    Bad to swallow you whole
    Kick the clay that holds the teeth in
    Throw your trolls out the door

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
    -Bob B.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripe For Your Post:

Tambora (July 3rd, 2016)

Over 3000 post club
    In front of the strange glowing screen of an inexplicable mechanism.
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "comet that killed all the dinosaurs" is a theory, not a fact. There is specific, scientific evidence that points to a break in geologic uniformity and climate trends at the same time the fossil record of the dinosaurs appears to have disappeared, but attributing those demonstrable facts to the appearance of a comet from outer space is conjecture.

There is history--and their is belief about that history.

So is your belief that you summed up in the word "ridiculous." It is a belief. If you can list and defend the actual evidence for your belief you can make a better case for your own theory. That's how science works.

(STILL trying to set up conservatives and fundamentalists on blind dates with Jesus...)

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh!!!

My apologies.... it was on the History Channel. And it was called "Last Days on Earth".

It was a pretty slick show with very good special effects. It wasn't a science show (per se) although it did feature scientists on each segment.

The segment about the comet described how the seas would turn to a "battery acid" type fluid that would kill almost everything on the planet. They even had a slick graphic showing humans turning into bugs symbolizing that only the tiny creatures might be able to survive such an event.

Any way... I am not trying to make some sort of "case" against evolution. It just made me curious if this was a serious consideration.

From what I am hearing in this thread it seems the answer is no.
    Ah, that makes more sense. To answer your specific question, no, this hypothesis is not one that's under serious consideration. In general, I'd say relying on the History Channel for your understanding of mainstream scientific ideas is not all that much wiser than relying on the Answers in Genesis website!

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aharvey View Post
    Ah, that makes more sense. To answer your specific question, no, this hypothesis is not one that's under serious consideration. In general, I'd say relying on the History Channel for your understanding of mainstream scientific ideas is not all that much wiser than relying on the Answers in Genesis website!
    aharvey, I don't rely on the History Channel or Discovery Channel but I think this raises a good point don't you?

Can't we agree that it's a bit unlikely that a comet hitting the earth isn't what killed off the dinosaurs? Based on the known facts that such an event would create on earth? I.e., the global effects of a comet that size hitting the earth (dead seas, worldwide molten landscape, etc.).

In other words.... if evolution were true.... and the earth is really millions/billions of years old... I think we can rule out a comet being the cause for the extinction of the dinosaurs because it would force evolution to restart (basically) from a much shorter time frame in the past.

I guess what I am saying is.... I don't think the evolution proponents and the "comet killed the dinosaurs" folks have had time debrief one another of the consequences of their respective theories.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm familiar with theories of an asteroid impact being largely to blame, but no, I've never heard anyone suggest a comet contributed to the dinosaurs's extinction. In addition paleontologists have described three separate events that contributed to different dinosaurs going extinct at different periods (separated by significant passages of time). It would be inaccurate to say that they all went extinct at once or due to the same calamity.
    If wealth was the inevitable result of hard work and enterprise, every woman in Africa would be a millionaire.
    --George Monbiot

Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
    --Homer J. Simpson

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Granite View Post
    I'm familiar with theories of an asteroid impact being largely to blame, but no, I've never heard anyone suggest a comet contributed to the dinosaurs's extinction. In addition paleontologists have described three separate events that contributed to different dinosaurs going extinct at different periods (separated by significant passages of time). It would be inaccurate to say that they all went extinct at once or due to the same calamity.
    Asteroid... comet... Meteor... whatever. Just some large inter-galactic object hitting the earth.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Asteroid... comet... Meteor... whatever. Just some large inter-galactic object hitting the earth.
    Ummm...this isn't exactly a "whatever" kind of semantic disagreement, Knight. There are some pretty significant differences between a comet and an asteroid.
    If wealth was the inevitable result of hard work and enterprise, every woman in Africa would be a millionaire.
    --George Monbiot

Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
    --Homer J. Simpson

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ummm...this isn't exactly a "whatever" kind of semantic disagreement, Knight. There are some pretty significant differences between a comet and an asteroid.
    Wow.

I didn't write the show Granite. I didn't create the theory Granite. I am merely commenting on what was presented. If you want to obfuscate have at it, I will ignore you.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow.

I didn't write the show Granite. I didn't create the theory Granite. I am merely commenting on what was presented. If you want to obfuscate have at it, I will ignore you.
    That wasn't my point. A comet strike's a silly theory, an asteroid impact (like the Yucatan crater) isn't. One makes more sense than the other.
    --George Monbiot

--Homer J. Simpson

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That wasn't my point. A comet strike's a silly theory, an asteroid impact (like the Yucatan crater) isn't. One makes more sense than the other.
    Whatever it was (in theory) comet/meteor/asteroid/flardblatoid would have done to the earth all the things that were described in the show (the scientists on the show made that assertion not me). Therefore whatever it was (in theory) would cause the theory of evolution a serious setback. I think they were speaking of an asteroid but I wasn't taking notes so I am not totally sure.

In reality.... it doesn't really matter what it was does it? At least not as far as this discussion is concerned.

Hey, I have an idea lets spend the rest of the day arguing about the difference between a asteroid and a comet OK?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever it was (in theory) comet/meteor/asteroid/flardblatoid would have done to the earth all the things that were described in the show (the scientists on the show made that assertion not me). Therefore whatever it was (in theory) would cause the theory of evolution a serious setback. I think they were speaking of an asteroid but I wasn't taking notes so I am not totally sure.

In reality.... it doesn't really matter what it was does it? At least not as far as this discussion is concerned.

Hey, I have an idea lets spend the rest of the day arguing about the difference between a asteroid and a comet OK?
    I don't see how an extinction event could cause evolutionary theory a significant setback; evolutionists examine and research extinction events with regularity. If anything, large-scale extinction events are necessary to explain certain elements of evolution.

I don't need to argue about the differences...I know what the differences are. I think the History Channel should stick to World II, from the sounds of it.
    --George Monbiot

--Homer J. Simpson

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see how an extinction event could cause evolutionary theory a significant setback
    Sigh... if you aren't going to think.... then you shouldn't post in a thread like this. It requires thinking.

Let me clearly outline the "setback" once again.

IF.... a flardblatoid hit the earth and caused ALL animals larger than insects or microscopic creatures to become extinct, (as theorized) THEN... evolution would need to essentially restart at some point after that event. Any progress towards the evolution of humans (and all that we see today) that had been made up to that point would have been lost in such a catastrophic event.

Thread Information