User Tag List

Page 1 of 32 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Did we re-evolve after the comet that killed all the dinosaurs?

Your powers are weak, old man. Knight's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 688 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Did we re-evolve after the comet that killed all the dinosaurs?

Hey evolutionists I have a question. Did we re-evolve after the comet that killed all the dinosaurs? I was watching some show tonight on the Discovery Channel and it was about all the ways the earth could/might come to an end. One of the "ways" they described was if a large comet struck the earth which could wipe out all life on earth, and they repeatedly discussed the comet that supposedly wiped out all the dinosaurs millions of years ago. They stated that only microscopic life could have survived such an event.

Therefore do they believe that the life we see today basically re-evolved after this alleged comet? Or was this show simply overstating the case? I had never heard such a thing before and it sounds a bit ridiculous.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Knight For Your Post:

JudgeRightly (December 16th, 2016)

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good question. +)
    Charles Darwin: “If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would break down.”

Over 500 post club PlastikBuddha's Avatar
    Still going to and fro in the earth, and walking up and down in it- but now looking up.
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Hey evolutionists I have a question. Did we re-evolve after the comet that killed all the dinosaurs? I was watching some show tonight on the Discovery Channel and it was about all the ways the earth could/might come to an end. One of the "ways" they described was if a large comet struck the earth which could wipe out all life on earth, and they repeatedly discussed the comet that supposedly wiped out all the dinosaurs millions of years ago. They stated that only microscopic life could have survived such an event.
    More than just microscopic life lived through the catastrophe. Animals like sharks, turtles, crocodilians, and the small mammals that were our ancestors all survived the event.
    Therefore do they believe that the life we see today basically re-evolved after this alleged comet?
    No.
    Or was this show simply overstating the case? I had never heard such a thing before and it sounds a bit ridiculous.
    It is extremely ridiculous. Perhaps they were calcualting a bigger strike and merely comparing it to the K2 event to show the difference between a known catastophre and a hypothetical mega-catastrophe or something?
    "Those who have crossed
    With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
    Remember us--if at all--not as lost
    Violent souls, but only
    As the hollow men
    The stuffed men." ... T.S. Eliot
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Over 500 post club Real Sorceror's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Plastik already stated, no, we do not believe there was a "reset button" when the comet wiped out the dinosaurs. Plenty of lifeforms survived, including mammals.

This is the first time I've heard someone suggest that the comet killed all life on the planet. Since life began here it has had several catastrophic set-backs, sometimes killing as much as 75% (or more) of the existing lifeforms, but to my knowledge nothing has ever set it back to the cellular level.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now, this sounds like a good question for OMEGA....

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We evolved because of the extinction of the dinosaurs.

We were smaller, had less demands for available resources and much less major predators.

This would have given small mammals freedom to search further and wider for food, which led us on the way to being gatherers, then hunter gatherers then Wall Mart shoppers.

You see about 2.3 million years ago, the earliest Homo species evolved (No giggling at the back) Dinosaurs went extinct about 65 million years ago so these mammals had around 63 million years to evolve from small creatures to the ones we know now.

The dinosaurs showed us that with free access to abundant diet you can evolve to be quite large, we are huge compared to the tiny mammals that lived during the age of the dinosaurs, just as Whales are huge in comparison to the dog like creature the evolved from once they got access ot the abundant wealth of competitionless diet in the sea.

Hope this answers your question.
    Stay Sharp
    Doogie Talons
    ----------------------------------------
    [ Richard Dawkins ]

Over 1500 post club Frank Ernest's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoogieTalons View Post
    We evolved because of the extinction of the dinosaurs.
    That would imply that someone or something somewhere decided that dinosaurs must make way for mammals and that the comet hit was not a random occurrence, but a deliberate action.
    We were smaller, had less demands for available resources and much less major predators.
    In which case, there was no reason, then, to extinguish the dinosaurs and we're back to random acts of a natural universe.
    This would have given small mammals freedom to search further and wider for food, which led us on the way to being gatherers, then hunter gatherers then Wall Mart shoppers.
    Prosaic, but doesn't make sense in view of what you stated previously.
    You see about 2.3 million years ago, the earliest Homo species evolved (No giggling at the back) Dinosaurs went extinct about 65 million years ago so these mammals had around 63 million years to evolve from small creatures to the ones we know now.

The dinosaurs showed us that with free access to abundant diet you can evolve to be quite large, we are huge compared to the tiny mammals that lived during the age of the dinosaurs, just as Whales are huge in comparison to the dog like creature the evolved from once they got access ot the abundant wealth of competitionless diet in the sea.
    How could the dinosaurs show us anything since they became extinct? I would think our mammalian ancestors would be more likely avoiding comet hits.
    Hope this answers your question.
    Raises more questions than it answers.

Psalm 144

Thanks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_extinction
    It's pretty hard to kill everything.
    Everyman is a voice in the dark.
    I II III IV

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Therefore do they believe that the life we see today basically re-evolved after this alleged comet? Or was this show simply overstating the case? I had never heard such a thing before and it sounds a bit ridiculous.
    Plenty of smaller mammals (among other things) survived this event so yes, the scenario they posed is pretty ridiculous.
    If wealth was the inevitable result of hard work and enterprise, every woman in Africa would be a millionaire.
    --George Monbiot

Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
    --Homer J. Simpson

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Ernest View Post
    That would imply that someone or something somewhere decided that dinosaurs must make way for mammals and that the comet hit was not a random occurrence, but a deliberate action.
    Doogie's post merely implies our evolution was a consiquence of the extinction of dinosaurs. Seriously, that's not hard to read..

Trainee
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No it doesn't. It doesn't imply anything, it is a statement that without dominant predators, or huge animals eating most of the vegetation, there was an opportunity for the small mammals that survived to evolve and fulfil the roles the dinosaurs used to. It doesn't in any way suggest the comet strike was not random, simply that once it had happened the circumstances were prefect for mammals to evolve.

In which case, there was no reason, then, to extinguish the dinosaurs and we're back to random acts of a natural universe.
    No, there was no reason, there was no cause. It just happened.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knight, can you help us out here? As scientifically sloppy as the Discovery Channel can be, this one seems extreme even for them. You watched this show "tonight on the Discovery Channel;" I assume this was April 20? But I can't see a single show on their schedule for that day that would logically even discuss this.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh, how so?
    "[Knut Hamsun] was very poor and weathered the deep winter of Chicago by wearing news paper under his clothes; his colleagues liked to touch him to make him crackle."

cattyfan
    So...the comet hit and killed dinasaurs all over the world...but not the other species???

Okay...

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's not it at all, catty.
    If wealth was the inevitable result of hard work and enterprise, every woman in Africa would be a millionaire.
    --George Monbiot

Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
    --Homer J. Simpson

Thread Information