The reason why Christ was baptized in water.

SimpleMan77

Jesus came for two main purposes:

1. To be the sinless sacrifice that only He could be

2. To show us an example, because he was in every way like us, only without sin.

Jesus said it was so he could "fulfill all righteousness". If He who was without sin couldn't fulfill all righteousness without being baptized, we will surely stand as unrighteous before God if we refuse to be baptized like He, our example, was.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
No, the proper name is the Gulf of Aqaba. The depth on each side of the landbridge is 5000 - 6000 thousand feet. The landbridge is about two miles wide.

Is this a mistranslation?

Act 7:36 He brought them out, after that he had shewed wonders and signs in the land of Egypt, and in the Red sea, and in the wilderness forty years.

Heb 11:29 By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry land: which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned.

LA

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Is this a mistranslation?

Act 7:36 He brought them out, after that he had shewed wonders and signs in the land of Egypt, and in the Red sea, and in the wilderness forty years.

Heb 11:29 By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry land: which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned.

The northern part of the Red Sea splits into two branches, one on each side of the Sinai Peninsula. On the west side of the peninsula is the Gulf of Suez and on the east side is the Gulf of Aqaba. The Hebrews crossed the Gulf of Aqaba branch of the Red Sea into Arabia.

Danoh

Jesus came for two main purposes:

1. To be the sinless sacrifice that only He could be

2. To show us an example, because he was in every way like us, only without sin.

Jesus said it was so he could "fulfill all righteousness". If He who was without sin couldn't fulfill all righteousness without being baptized, we will surely stand as unrighteous before God if we refuse to be baptized like He, our example, was.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL

No, Simpleman; if you'd heed what you have been repeatedly advised, and studied out this issue in the OT, you'd know that water baptism was an Israelite ritual having to do with a symbolic outward purification under "the law for righteousness" and He as One Who became one "like unto his brethren" submitted to His being "numbered with the transgressors...under the Law."

Thus, His "suffer it be so NOW..."

In other words "yes John; you do have need that you be cleansed of me; but first I must be numbered a transgressor with Israel, just like you."

:doh: :chuckle:

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
No, Simpleman; if you'd heed what you have been repeatedly advised, and studied out this issue in the OT, you'd know that water baptism was an Israelite ritual having to do with a symbolic outward purification under "the law for righteousness" and He as One Who became one "like unto his brethren" submitted to His being "numbered with the transgressors...under the Law."

Thus, His "suffer it be so NOW..."

In other words "yes John; you do have need that you be cleansed of me; but first I must be numbered a transgressor with Israel, just like you."

No, Jesus was fulfilling righteousness.

Mat 3:14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
Mat 3:15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.
Mat 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
Mat 3:17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Jerry Shugart

It was not a baptism of repentance, but was a washing under the law for His service as a Priest.

Here is what we read about the Lord Jesus:

"For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law" (Heb.8:4).​

Here is why the Lord was baptized with water:

"Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors" (Isa.53:12).​

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Here is what we read about the Lord Jesus:

"For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law" (Heb.8:4).​

Here is why the Lord was baptized with water:

"Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors" (Isa.53:12).​

what are you trying to say?

LA