User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 109

Thread: Expelled? Go to the movies!

  1. #91
    Formerly Shimei! Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,046
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    6919
    Quote Originally Posted by laughsoutloud View Post
    Of course, we see evolution all the time - just because you don't believe in it, doesn't mean it is not real.

    Yes, please show us. Maybe something from the fossil record? That would be great!

  2. #92
    Journeyman laughsoutloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimei View Post
    Yes, please show us. Maybe something from the fossil record? That would be great!
    Here you go - evolution in action.

    And from the fossil record, A Firm Step From Water to Land.

    Sorry for the long quote, but it is worth reading, as is the entire article
    It has long been clear that limbed vertebrates (tetrapods) evolved from osteolepiform lobefinned fishes3, but until recently the morphological gap between the two groups remained frustratingly wide. The gap was bounded at the top by primitive Devonian tetrapods such as Ichthyostega and Acanthostega from Greenland, and at the bottom by Panderichthys, a tetrapod-like predatory fish from the latest Middle Devonian of Latvia (Fig. 1). Ichthyostega4 and Acanthostega5 retain true fish tails with fin rays but are nevertheless unambiguous tetrapods with limbs that bear digits6.

    Panderichthys7 is vaguely crocodile-shaped and, unlike the rather conventional osteolepiform fishes farther down the tree, looks like a fish–tetrapod transitional form. The shape of the pectoral fin skeleton and shoulder girdle are intermediate between those of osteolepiforms and tetrapods, suggesting that Panderichthys was beginning to ‘walk’, but perhaps in shallow water rather than on land8. Panderichthys lived about 385 million years ago at the end of the Middle Devonian; Ichthyostega and Acanthostega lived about 365 million years ago during the Late Devonian. However, the earliest fragmentary tetrapods from Scotland9,10 and Latvia9 date back to perhaps 376 million years ago, so the morphological gap between fish and tetrapod corresponds to a time gap of under 10 million years.

    Into this gap drops Tiktaalik. The fossils are earliest Late Devonian in age, making them at most 2 million or 3 million years younger than Panderichthys. With its crocodile-shaped skull, and paired fins with fin rays but strong internal limb skeletons, Tiktaalik also resembles Panderichthys quite closely. The closest match, however, is not to Panderichthys but to another animal, Elpistostege, from the early Late Devonian of Canada. Elpistostege is known only from two partial skulls and a length backbone, but it has long been recognized as fish– tetrapod intermediate11,12, probably closer to tetrapods than is Panderichthys. This impression is now confirmed: the authors1,2 demonstrate convincingly that Elpistostege and Tiktaalik fall between Panderichthys and the earliest tetrapods on the phylogenetic tree.

  3. #93
    Journeyman laughsoutloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    117
    And one more example of evolution in action - pretty cool:

    Still Just a lizard

    Now here's something really cool, though: these lizards have evolved cecal valves. What those are are muscular ridges in the gut that allow the animal to close off sections of the tube to slow the progress of food through them, and to act as fermentation chambers where plant material can be broken down by commensal organisms like bacteria and nematodes — and the guts of Pod Mrcaru P. sicula are swarming with nematodes not found in the guts of their Pod Kopiste cousins.

  4. #94
    Journeyman laughsoutloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    117
    And here is a whole book on speciation...

  5. #95
    Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,720
    Thanks
    1,174
    Thanked 13,203 Times in 10,088 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147865
    Quote Originally Posted by laughsoutloud View Post
    And here is a whole book on speciation...
    Did you say, "speculation?"


  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

    Tambora (June 24th, 2016)

  7. #96
    Journeyman laughsoutloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Did you say, "speculation?"
    You are pretty clever. Can you respond to the arguments themselves?

    Evolution is an every day activity. It is pretty powerful, even according to creationists, if evolution generated the diversity we see around us from a few thousand "kinds" on the ark! Think about it - from 2500 bc to the time writers began cataloging the world around us (say 1,000 years?) all the diversity we see - in fact,this is a speed and power of evolution that far exceeds anything the mainstream scientific community believes it is capable of. Of course, there is no actual evidence that anything of the sort happened - but it is odd that on the one hand, creationists believe evolution is so much more powerful that the science supports - and yet won't admit that evolution actually acciomplished the much more modest tasks attributed to it by science.

    And in the links I gave you, creation of novel features, fossil evidence of multiple transitional fossils - no response except an attempt at humor?

  8. #97
    Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,720
    Thanks
    1,174
    Thanked 13,203 Times in 10,088 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147865
    Quote Originally Posted by laughsoutloud View Post
    You are pretty clever. Can you respond to the arguments themselves?

    Evolution is an every day activity. It is pretty powerful, even according to creationists, if evolution generated the diversity we see around us from a few thousand "kinds" on the ark! Think about it - from 2500 bc to the time writers began cataloging the world around us (say 1,000 years?) all the diversity we see - in fact,this is a speed and power of evolution that far exceeds anything the mainstream scientific community believes it is capable of. Of course, there is no actual evidence that anything of the sort happened - but it is odd that on the one hand, creationists believe evolution is so much more powerful that the science supports - and yet won't admit that evolution actually acciomplished the much more modest tasks attributed to it by science.

    And in the links I gave you, creation of novel features, fossil evidence of multiple transitional fossils - no response except an attempt at humor?
    FYI, I believe in adaptation. All created, living things, were designed to adapt to their environments.


  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

    Tambora (June 24th, 2016)

  10. #98
    Journeyman laughsoutloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    FYI, I believe in adaptation. All created, living things, were designed to adapt to their environments.
    So that would be no, you won't respond to the arguments. Evolution has been demonstrated (both what you call micro and macro) in the lab and in the fossil record (multiple transitionals in tetrapod evolution, for example). The adaptations driven by evolution are robust, but no where robust enough to support the kind of speciation and diversity creationists claim occurred after the Flood. So snearing dismissal of what scientists demonstrate evolution does all the time, and credulous pretending that evolution accomplished things after the Flood that simply could not have happened.

    Willful ignorance, masked as piety, is still ignorance - and it is also dangerous, because in order to succeed, you have to paint the search for truth as a bad thing, and the people who search for truth as liars and deceivers.

  11. #99
    ...then I woke up. Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,595
    Thanks
    218
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 714 Posts

    Blog Entries
    6
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1011259
    Quote Originally Posted by laughsoutloud View Post
    Willful ignorance, masked as piety, is still ignorance - and it is also dangerous, because in order to succeed, you have to paint the search for truth as a bad thing, and the people who search for truth as liars and deceivers.
    Oh the irony.
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

    Download the new TOL app for iPhone, iPad, and Android...


  12. #100
    Journeyman laughsoutloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Oh the irony.
    Kinight, I have seen NO evidence for the flood, special creation or a 6,000 year old earth. None.

    I have seen a lot of apologetics, explaining how a certain subset of the data could be made to fit certain interpretations of the Bible.

    I have seen lots of criticisms of science (but criticisms of science do not establish the YEC perspective - only a coherent theory that fits the evidence could do that).

    I see lots of people pretending that science speaks with a unified voice, and has to defend a dogmatic position. It just does not work that way.

    In the last few hundred years, we've gone from thinking that maggots spontaneously generate from rotting meat to studying the elementary particles of the universe. Along the way, we've come up with lots of ideas to explain what we see. Some of those we call laws (they are really just explanations of how things work that no-one doubts), some we call theories (pretty much universal acceptance, but still subject to revision as we learn more), some are hypothesis (explanations for observations that have not yet gained widespread acceptance).

    Everything we know in science is stuff we thought up - because books like the Bible ended up not being very helpful when it came to the sciences. This is a fairly new thought - only some hundreds of years old. But one thing we can be sure of, so far, things in the natural world that can be measured or studied have had natural causes (so for example, no storehouses of snow, in spite of what it says in Job).

    Does that mean that the world cannot be 6,000 years old? That all species couldn't have been created, pretty much as they are a few days later? That there was no global flood some 3,500 years ago?

    Yes, pretty much. We can never go back there, unless we want to ignore the clear evidence of the natural world. This is what creationism boils down to - a return to ignorance in the name of piety. I am not going there, and I hope you don't go there either.
    Last edited by laughsoutloud; May 2nd, 2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling, corrected creationist date for Flood

  13. #101
    Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,720
    Thanks
    1,174
    Thanked 13,203 Times in 10,088 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147865
    Quote Originally Posted by laughsoutloud View Post


  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

    Tambora (June 24th, 2016)

  15. #102
    Rookie Pekkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    116
    I can see why so many are swayed by the sound scientific and logical argument made by creationism.

    This is sarcasm.

  16. #103
    Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,720
    Thanks
    1,174
    Thanked 13,203 Times in 10,088 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147865
    Quote Originally Posted by Pekkle View Post
    I can see why so many are swayed by the sound scientific and logical argument made by evolution.

    This is sarcasm.
    There. I fixed it for you.


  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

    Tambora (June 24th, 2016)

  18. #104
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Expelled the movie? You gotta be kidding me. If that is not a piece of creationist propaganda, Michael Moore's the second coming.

  19. #105
    Over 500 post club assuranceagent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    664
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyknuccione View Post
    Expelled the movie? You gotta be kidding me. If that is not a piece of creationist propaganda, Michael Moore's the second coming.
    If the evolutionists can use the public school system as their propaganda machine, Ben Stein can use a movie screen.

    And if Michael Moore's the second coming, Messiah has really let Himself go.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us