Thread: Expelled? Go to the movies!

Journeyman
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet scientists who are religious also perform science without bringing God in as part of their theories. Scientific theories do not include God because scientific theories must be tested. Testing requires holding constant some variables, and no one can “control” God; therefore, scientific explanations are restricted to the natural causes that are testable. All scientists work this way, whether they are religious or nonreligious. This is a practical restriction on what science can do, not a philosophical or moral restriction imposed by some elite.

Expelledexposed.com
    When was the last time random mutations were controlled?
    God invented distortion to use on really cool guitars!!
    Suffering is Gods megaphone to a deaf world! C.S Lewis

Let all that I am praise the Lord; with my whole heart, I will praise his holy name. Let all that I am praise the Lord; may I never forget the good things he does for me. He forgives all my sins and heals all my diseases. He redeems me from death and crowns me with love and tender mercies. He fills my life with good things. My youth is renewed like the eagle’s!

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, here is an example of a long-term controlled experiment on evolution:

Lenski's Long Term Evolution Project
    Dr. Palsson has been running experiments in which E. coli must adapt to a diet of glycerol, an ingredient in soap. He found that within a few hundred generations, the bacteria could grow two to three times as fast as their ancestor. He then selected some of the evolved microbes and sequenced their genome. He compared their DNA with that of their common ancestor and pinpointed a few mutations that each line had acquired.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laughsoutloud View Post
    You know what is interesting is that the movie leaves Dembski out of it. You'd think if it was such an open-and-shut case, they would have included it.

Evolution is questioned all the time - this is how the science is improved. For example, this article about the Peacock's tail. Read it - the traditional evolution answer is challenged - and the result? They get written up! Of course, this is just one study. Here is one that reaches the opposite conclusion. A real controversy. The result? We will learn more.
    According to this website he is featured in it.

http://www.sbcbaptistpress.org/BPnews.asp?ID=27762

In the film, host Ben Stein tracks down scholars who have been "expelled" by the academic community for their support of intelligent design (ID), a research program that flies in the face of Darwinism. Dembski is featured in the documentary.
    fidelis usque ad mortem

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chatmaggot, did you read the link you posted?

Dembski's trials at Baylor University -- which describes itself as "the world's largest Baptist university -- from 1999-2005 are not documented in the film. Among other things, he drew the wrath of the science, philosophy and religion departments early in his tenure there when it was learned that he was heading up an ID think tank on campus. Dembski's role in the documentary is mainly as someone explaining Intelligent Design for the audience.
    It clearly states that his Baylor controversy is not in the movie - which was your point, - you posted that he had a run-in over ID, right? Well, that run-in is not in the movie, according to your source. That is all I said - that controversy did not make it to the movie. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Each "expulsion" that is in the movie is put into a more helpful light - check out Expelled Exposed.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chatmaggot, did you read the link you posted?

It clearly states that his Baylor controversy is not in the movie - which was your point, - you posted that he had a run-in over ID, right? Well, that run-in is not in the movie, according to your source. That is all I said - that controversy did not make it to the movie. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Each "expulsion" that is in the movie is put into a more helpful light - check out Expelled Exposed.
    Oh for crying out loud. You can't be that dense.

You stated that people should:

...take a moment to prepare yourself with a little accurate information...
    I posted a reply concerning some accurate information about the topic of the movie Expelled concerning William Dembski. Notice I never ever claimed that HE was in the movie or that his CONTROVERSY was in the movie. But rather it was accurate information concerning the topic of the movie. And that is...there have been qualified individuals that are punished for questioning Darwinsim

You come long and say:

You know what is interesting is that the movie leaves Dembski out of it.
    You make the claim that Expelled leaves Dembski out of the movie.

I post a link showing that in fact Dembski is in the movie:

Dembski is featured in the documentary.

You now say that you said:

That is all I said - that controversy did not make it to the movie.
    And that is a lie. You never said that.

I was providing accurate information for people to educate themselves on before seeing the movie in regards to the topic of the movie.

And now you are caught in a lie.
    fidelis usque ad mortem

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even a movie talking about how anti-evolution evidence is shot down is shot down. That's a pretty good sign Evolutionists like to shoot down other peoples ideas.
    grace & peace

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chatmaggot writes
    I have the original issues of American Spectator magazine chronicling the controversy between Baylor University and William Dembski. Are they in error also?
    You brought up Dembeski in the context of his being punished for his ID views. That is what I responded to. That story is not in the movie.

I'd ask you that cut me a little slack here, as hard as it might be - you obviously hold my views in contempt - but I promise you I won't lie to you!

To show my good faith, I once more offer my words for your review:
    You know what is interesting is that the movie leaves Dembski out of it. You'd think if it was such an open-and-shut case, they would have included it.
    Notice that I said "they would have included it" not "they would have included him." I was referring to the controversy you referenced, not his role in the movie.

Have you read the Expelled Exposed site yet?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fellow believer has given my family a gift to go and see this movie this weekend. What a blessing and how kind! We're all looking forward to it!

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    Even a movie talking about how anti-evolution evidence is shot down is shot down. That's a pretty good sign Evolutionists like to shoot down other peoples ideas.
    I don't think the term "ideas" is warranted in this case.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    Another perspective... when a movie that dishonestly distorts science and history to promote its (mistaken) agenda comes out, people who care should speak up. I really believe that this movie is wrong, and that it is damaging to the church and our nation. Given that, how can I keep silent?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another perspective... when a movie that dishonestly distorts science and history to promote its (mistaken) agenda comes out, people who care should speak up. I really believe that this movie is wrong, and that it is damaging to the church and our nation. Given that, how can I keep silent?
    How many times have you seen it yet?
    "I believe in Christianity, as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis

"Don't believe that there's nothing that's true, don't believe in this modern machine." Switchfoot

Journeyman
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, here is an example of a long-term controlled experiment on evolution:

Dr. Palsson has been running experiments in which E. coli must adapt to a diet of glycerol, an ingredient in soap. He found that within a few hundred generations, the bacteria could grow two to three times as fast as their ancestor. He then selected some of the evolved microbes and sequenced their genome. He compared their DNA with that of their common ancestor and pinpointed a few mutations that each line had acquired.

Sorry, that's not evolution. They are still E. coli.

It states they simply adapted to a different diet and grew faster because of it.
    I do that all the time. If I eat at McDonalds everyday I grow two or three times as fast as my wife who eats rabbit food ...er...I mean...salad.

Did the mutations that he pinpointed have anything to do with the adaptions or are they simply noted?
    God invented distortion to use on really cool guitars!!
    Suffering is Gods megaphone to a deaf world! C.S Lewis

Let all that I am praise the Lord; with my whole heart, I will praise his holy name. Let all that I am praise the Lord; may I never forget the good things he does for me. He forgives all my sins and heals all my diseases. He redeems me from death and crowns me with love and tender mercies. He fills my life with good things. My youth is renewed like the eagle’s!

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post

Sorry, that's not evolution. They are still E. coli.

It states they simply adapted to a different diet and grew faster because of it.
    I do that all the time. If I eat at McDonalds everyday I grow two or three times as fast as my wife who eats rabbit food ...er...I mean...salad.

Did the mutations that he pinpointed have anything to do with the adaptions or are they simply noted?
    They adapted. Of course, not in a single lifetime (so not like your McDonalds analogy). Evolution works across generations, in small steps - not all at once, or within the lifetime of a single organism.

This would be like your distant progeny learning to live on the styro packaging from McDonald's, and becoming 18 feet tall. And yes, if you read the article, you'll note that they documented genetic changes in response to changes in the environment.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySmiley View Post
    How many times have you seen it yet?
    I have had to rely on reviews. Of course, you didn't witness any of the events of the bible - you are stuck with the accounts of others- but that is not a problem, is it?

And it is not like the ID arguments are not well rehearsed!

Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,200 Times in 10,085 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
    When was the last time random mutations were controlled?
    It's not random if it's controlled.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lighthouse For Your Post:

Tambora (June 24th, 2016)

Thread Information